Suggest Me A Frame

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 14/Apr/17 4:16pm

Looking to build a multi use 29er, would prefer steel, must have braze ons for racks etc, needs to accommodate a tapered fork and have geo based on 100-120mm.

We also have a burly trailer that needs to be able to be towed by said 29er, we have hitches that work with qr so I guess a flat qr dropout is preferable unless there are trailer hitches for through axles?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Suggest Me A Frame

Postby DogsBollocks on Fri 14/Apr/17 10:09pm

A geezer I ride with has just built up a 27+ Ragley Mmbop thingy. Fuck it's cool. Multi use wise it's got a lot going for it and the frame was well cheap into the country. Could be a good option with some fettling and the bit's you may have available to yerself.
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby lastnotfast on Sun 16/Apr/17 3:23pm

Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby dragon_style on Sun 16/Apr/17 6:40pm

I'm still loving my steel Honzo, doesn't have rack mounts but I assume that a Freeload or seatpost rack will take care of my Heaphy, Old Ghost Rd etc needs. Runs a 120mm sus fork as standard (tapered) and I reckon a Salsa Firestarter for bikepacking type needs with a lower race adaptor would work nicely. I have the Unit dropouts on mine so I can run a standard QR rear wheel. Isn't light, but it's fun and still gets up the Tip Track ok.
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby el_booto on Sun 16/Apr/17 7:23pm

the explosif would also do a similar thang
i'd also look at the K Monkey, new one is listed as 27+ but i wreckon you'd get a 29 in thurr with a decent size tyre no juarez
is 44mm HT so tapered or straight
has rack/fender mounts out the wahzoo
is available through a distirbutor so local warranty is a thing (if you consider such things)
threaded BB shell
modular dropouts, any axle standard joo want
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 18/Apr/17 8:19am

There's a large steel honzo frame on bike shelf this morning, don't know how to paste links from facebook though.

Member for: 5 years 0 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Frames - Latest Posts