Re: Stupid Bike Questions

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 3/Mar/14 3:15pm

ButtersNZ wrote:How should I go about putting a value on the FR/DH frame I'm preparing to sell?

The usual: Trademe, $1 reserve, see what the market says.
Add all the detail re: rarity etc to the listing.

I know this is not really helpful, but selling anything second-hand is always a guessing game, and rare things require the right buyer to come along.
Someone who knows the value, and has money to spend.

Other than rarity, why is it better than (for example) a Glory/Demo which come up often for not too much $$?

Good luck.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 3/Mar/14 4:05pm

Re Karapoti and other sorts of out and back races:

Curious about how pro riders manage to survive 2.5 to 3hrs riding at 100% effort without carrying stuff. Seems many of the weekend warriors head out there with 2 litres of water on their backs, several tubes, chain breaker, lube, snacks etc etc.

Do the pros just use the drinks and lollies at the aid stations and scoop up river water when they come across it? What about flat tyres - do the CO2 canisters stop leaks as well as provide air pressure?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby ButtersNZ on Mon 3/Mar/14 4:17pm

I hear ya, and thanks. That's good advice and pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I'm dubious of $1 reserve though because as you say, the rare things require the right buyer.
ButtersNZ
Member for: 3 years 11 months

Postby muddydave on Mon 3/Mar/14 5:05pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Re Karapoti and other sorts of out and back races:

Curious about how pro riders manage to survive 2.5 to 3hrs riding at 100% effort without carrying stuff. Seems many of the weekend warriors head out there with 2 litres of water on their backs, several tubes, chain breaker, lube, snacks etc etc.

Do the pros just use the drinks and lollies at the aid stations and scoop up river water when they come across it? What about flat tyres - do the CO2 canisters stop leaks as well as provide air pressure?

the pro's in one word....conditioned.
muddydave
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby foremannz on Mon 3/Mar/14 5:51pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:Re Karapoti and other sorts of out and back races:

Its all risk - if you get the right gear, and have the right support, you minimize the risk to a point where its acceptable.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Simonius_Titius on Tue 4/Mar/14 12:24am

ButtersNZ wrote:I hear ya, and thanks. That's good advice and pretty much what I was expecting to hear.

I'm dubious of $1 reserve though because as you say, the rare things require the right buyer.

I'd give it a couple of cycles on a high reserve before going to the $1 reserve. Get a quote for shipping and put it in the ad.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby ButtersNZ on Tue 4/Mar/14 7:38am

Good call. I'll do that for sure. It'll let people know it exists!
ButtersNZ
Member for: 3 years 11 months

Handlebar Tape Error

Postby cbfb on Sat 12/Apr/14 6:15pm

This is one of the more annoying numpty things I've done this week...

Bought some Deda tape off Wiggle for my commuter

It covered about 2/3 of the bar and had hardly any stretch at all. On the other side I made wider wraps which covered another few inches but also looked like a dog's breakfast as the wraps weren't tight. Still far too short.

What am I doing wrong here? Admittedly it's years since I've done this but if I figured it out then things shouldn't have changed much.

Or are the lenghts of tape just too damn short?
cbfb
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Sat 12/Apr/14 7:25pm

Deda tape is shorter than most, but tidy wrapping and only once around the brake lever gets the job done.
2014-04-03 15.43.25.jpg
Oli

Postby cbfb on Sat 12/Apr/14 7:37pm

Oli wrote:Deda tape is shorter than most, but tidy wrapping and only once around the brake lever gets the job done.

Oh well that is where I went wrong thanks Oli. Will just do one loop of the levers, and check the local shop for a more generous brand.
cbfb

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 12/Apr/14 10:41pm

cbfb wrote:
Oli wrote:Deda tape is shorter than most, but tidy wrapping and only once around the brake lever gets the job done.

Oh well that is where I went wrong thanks Oli. Will just do one loop of the levers, and check the local shop for a more generous brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VELO-Road-B ... 232ef4c970
I've bought a good 3-4 rolls of this stuff from these people and its excellent and they're good to deal with too :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Sat 12/Apr/14 11:05pm

You could get some Zero Suede tape (Avanti's house brand) which is gel backed and good quality tape here in NZ for not much more than that, especially once you factor in freight.
Oli

Postby cbfb on Sun 13/Apr/14 1:05pm

Thought I would go to my local shop incase it went pear shaped again... which it did

They are going to get their "bar taping guy" to look at it on Monday. They did get a jibe in at my efforts so maybe I'm doing it wrong.
cbfb

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 13/Apr/14 2:09pm

Bar taping guy?
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby znomit on Sun 13/Apr/14 2:24pm

shmoodiver wrote:Bar taping guy?

:withstupid:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts