Re: Stupid Bike Questions

Postby dented on Wed 6/Nov/13 11:55am

Heres the thing...

I have recently put my boy onto a 24" wheeled mtb, best thing ever.
However, I do enjoy upgrading bicycles, perhaps to an extent that some people would consider me to be some kind of weirdo. Read on.

Now, the standard forks on the bike work ok. They are just a cheap coil sprung fork, seem to have about 50-60mm travel, with a preload adjustment that to their credit, actually works.

I have just laid my greedy little hands on a Manitou Mars1 fork (obviously for a 26" wheel bike). I have done the googling and from what I can tell they seem to be from around 2000/2001, have 80mm travel, and it sounds like in their day they were not too bad as far as XC mtbing goes. TPC damper and rebound adjustment, and air-sprung. They even feel quite light (I know, its relative). Everything about the fork looks fine, no apparant oil leaks, no marks on the stanchions or signs of wear, and all the knobs and adjusters seem to be working just fine. Axle-Crown they are 44mm longer than the fork that is currently on the bike. So I have sat it against a wall with a 44mm chock under the front wheel, sure its jacked it up a bit, but its not rediculous.

Looking at an online manual, they give some indication of air-pressue adjustments to set for rider weight, and the minimum rider weight they list is roughly double what my boy weighs, but Im hoping I can just play with the air-pressure and set it up with 25-30mm of sag.

Manitou is not my favourite flavour of fork, but can anyone give me a decent reason not to throw this on the bike and try it.
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 6/Nov/13 12:14pm

Dooooo eeeeeet!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby dented on Wed 6/Nov/13 12:35pm

Too late my son. But your advice was good.
new forks.jpg
dented
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 6/Nov/13 9:19pm

Colour even looks pretty cool as well, slacker head angle, good in the steep stuff :thumbsup:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 6/Nov/13 10:48pm

Coolest kids bike ever!
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 6/Nov/13 10:48pm

that looks the biz! I'll be doing that to get some discs on the young fella's bike next upgrade from the 16"
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby gumby on Thu 7/Nov/13 7:30pm

Please post a pic when you put a 26" in, you know you have to. Preferably with the wee feller on some steeps :p
gumby
Member for: 4 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 24/Feb/14 2:47pm

Never ridden a park before but see fourforty is $50 for half a day, seems a lot to me, is that what you'd pay other places?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Colin on Mon 24/Feb/14 3:51pm

Rotorua $40 for 6 shuttle runs

Queenstown $60 a half day

Doesn't seem over the top. Especially if you were unlucky enough to be a mountain biker who lived in Auckland with limited riding options. Anything else will involve a lot of travel cost.

We were lucky enough to have had a days riding there late last year. It's good. I'd certainly be back if I lived in Auckland.

From Wellington I'm be choosing between travelling to Auckland or travelling to Queenstown. I currently have two trips to Queenstown locked and loaded, nothing up north but would seriously look at any trip being organised.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 24/Feb/14 4:38pm

Colin wrote:Rotorua $40 for 6 shuttle runs

Queenstown $60 a half day

Doesn't seem over the top. Especially if you were unlucky enough to be a mountain biker who lived in Auckland with limited riding options. Anything else will involve a lot of travel cost.

We were lucky enough to have had a days riding there late last year. It's good. I'd certainly be back if I lived in Auckland.

From Wellington I'm be choosing between travelling to Auckland or travelling to Queenstown. I currently have two trips to Queenstown locked and loaded, nothing up north but would seriously look at any trip being organised.

compared to the cost of a ski lift pass i would've though 60$ a half day is a bit steep . . . . ?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby Colin on Mon 24/Feb/14 5:15pm

MTB is a year round sport. Ski pass cost is irrelevant to me.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Mon 24/Feb/14 6:46pm

Colin wrote:MTB is a year round sport. Ski pass cost is irrelevant to me.

I think $50 is reasonable.
I can't see any merit in comparing a ski field with multiple lifts operating on a continuous loop dropping hundreds or thousands of people atop a multimillion dollar skifield to a hand built MTB park with a couple of blokes and a van serving a pretty small niche.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby pushbikerider on Mon 24/Feb/14 9:17pm

I also think that $50 seems reasonable, based on the the trails being good (which its ounds like they are great) the service being right ie not too much waiting around, and not too many people on the trails at the same time.

I need to plan a trip to go and ride
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 3/Mar/14 6:40am

Farm wrote:
Colin wrote:MTB is a year round sport. Ski pass cost is irrelevant to me.

I think $50 is reasonable.
I can't see any merit in comparing a ski field with multiple lifts operating on a continuous loop dropping hundreds or thousands of people atop a multimillion dollar skifield to a hand built MTB park with a couple of blokes and a van serving a pretty small niche.

in q town
comparisons with ski slopes have some validity ( i assume gondola is used or skifield lifts - multiple trails)
carried up hill, go down it and trail maintenance (much higher for a ski slope i would think- groomers)
cant you buy a full day ticket?
no comparison with a van though
in the end who cares - you either pay or you don't - but be sure the lift company is making a solid profit off ya
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby ButtersNZ on Mon 3/Mar/14 2:14pm

dwgknz wrote:Never ridden a park before but see fourforty is $50 for half a day, seems a lot to me, is that what you'd pay other places?

$2-$2.50 per shuttle run in Dunedin (Signal Hill) :sneaky:

MY stupid question:
How should I go about putting a value on the FR/DH frame I want to sell? There is only one other in Australasia, going by this article:
http://theroostmag.com.au/bike-check-votec-vfr/

Specs are
2012 Votec V.FR frame - Large
Nukeproof headset
All new bearings
Spare derailleur hanger and bearing replacement tools

- Minor dents on head tube from stanchion uppers.
Last edited by ButtersNZ on Fri 6/Mar/15 2:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
ButtersNZ
Member for: 3 years 9 months

Bicycle Repair | Cycling - Latest Posts