Stuff To Do/see In Los Angeles, Las Vegas & Tijuana?

Postby sooby on Wed 24/Jun/09 12:53pm

Looks like I have an opportunity to go to Los Angeles, Las Vegas & maybe Tijuana in August, and was wondering what places Vorb recommends worthy of a visit?

Have a list of all the regular touristy stuff like:

- Disneyland / Six Flags / Knott's Berry Farm,
- Catch a Dodger's baseball game,
- Grand canyon,
- See Yellowstone national park,
- Rent a machinegun or two & annihilate some targets at a range: http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/
- Drive thru Monterray & along coastal highway,
- Loose all money gambling in Vegas & get deported,
- Point & laugh at the morbidly obese, starbucks SUV American lifestyle,

(Not sure at this stage if we will be able to go mountain biking, or even where we'd do that overthere.)

But thought Vorb is bound to be able to suggest other stuff we haven't thought of yet or come across on the internet?
sooby
"sofa king retarded"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Stuff To Do/see In Los Angeles, Las Vegas & Tijuana?

Postby jo on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:01pm

If you walk across to Tijuana, buy the map BEFORE you go through the gate. ;) Be prepared for a long queue to get back into the US.
Disneyland was fun for an afternoon.
Theres meant to be some great canyons to go hiking in (LA LV), I didnt get there though. Watch out for the rattlesnakes. :)
Attempt to take a bus in LA.
Attempt to walk a couple of blocks in (suburban) LA.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby xcwander on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:09pm

There's some great mountain biking in and around Flagstaff / Sedona in Northern Arizona. Flagstaff is about 40 mins drive further on from the turn off for Grand Canyon National Park
xcwander
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby sooby on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:11pm

xcwander wrote:There's some great mountain biking in and around Flagstaff / Sedona in Northern Arizona. Flagstaff is about 40 mins drive further on from the turn off for Grand Canyon National Park

cheers!
sooby
"sofa king retarded"

Postby iodi on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:18pm

Some more things in/around LA:
- Universal Studios
- Griffith Observatory
- Natural History Museum
- The freak show that is Hollywood Boulevard
- Kodak Theatre
- The Chinese Theatre
- Medieval dinner and jousting show
- LA zoo
- Horse riding in the Hollywood hills
- Be part of the audience for your favourite TV show (usually free, but must book well in advance)

On the way to Tijuana, spend some time in San Diego:
- Midway aircraft carrier
- San Diego Zoo
- Sea World (buy a cheap plastic cover and site in the Splash Zone)
- Legoland (for younger kids)

Before you go to Disneyland, check out various websites that provide info about peak/offpeak times. We spent almost 3 whole days at Disneyland/California Park – there’s heaps to do.

Also look to get one of the tickets that provide access to multiple attractions at substantially cheaper prices – though read the fine print.
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:31pm

i think you'll find Yellowstone Park a little far away from any of those three places... like a good 30 hours by bus!

Highly recommend the LaBrea tar pits. good for a giggle.
Venice Beach.
Malibu, see the 'real' Bay Watch... :lol:

try walking somewhere "downtown" LA without someone saying, "Say buddy, can you spare a dollar?"

pick up some "weed, hash, acid" from the downtown Greyhound bus station...
get some valium off some dodgey dude in the toilets of the Vegas Greyhound Station... they really do make the 30 hour bus ride to Yellowstone that much more bearablerer
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby rackerrack on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:34pm

sooby wrote:Looks like I have an opportunity to go to Los Angeles, Las Vegas & maybe Tijuana in August, and was wondering what places Vorb recommends worthy of a visit?

Have a list of all the regular touristy stuff like:

- Disneyland / Six Flags / Knott's Berry Farm,
- Catch a Dodger's baseball game,
- Grand canyon,
- See Yellowstone national park,
- Rent a machinegun or two & annihilate some targets at a range: http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/
- Drive thru Monterray & along coastal highway,
- Loose all money gambling in Vegas & get deported,
- Point & laugh at the morbidly obese, starbucks SUV American lifestyle,

(Not sure at this stage if we will be able to go mountain biking, or even where we'd do that overthere.)

But thought Vorb is bound to be able to suggest other stuff we haven't thought of yet or come across on the internet?

Yellowstones up near montana,
ride bootleg canyon 30mins from vegas(not in full summer)
101 from sanfran to la is a good drive (count the convertable mustangs on the way)
rackerrack
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby rackerrack on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:36pm

xcwander wrote:There's some great mountain biking in and around Flagstaff / Sedona in Northern Arizona. Flagstaff is about 40 mins drive further on from the turn off for Grand Canyon National Park

yeah Sedonas neat,the drive from flagstaff is a good one.
rackerrack
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:41pm

In LA, wander over to Skid Row and buy some crack/get a blow job from a diseased hooker.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby jo on Wed 24/Jun/09 1:44pm

swtchbckr wrote:try walking somewhere "downtown" LA without someone saying, "Say buddy, can you spare a dollar?"

You dont have to go to LA for that. They seem to say something mighty similar in downtown Melbourne. :huh:
jo
"Windy"

Postby sooby on Wed 24/Jun/09 2:09pm

rackerrack wrote:Yellowstones up near montana,
ride bootleg canyon 30mins from vegas(not in full summer)
101 from sanfran to la is a good drive (count the convertable mustangs on the way)

hrmm, must have mixed up the national park names
sooby
"sofa king retarded"

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Wed 24/Jun/09 2:37pm

jo wrote:Attempt to take a bus in LA.

Did that a bunch of times and it was fine. I have a tolerance for poor/and or crazy people though. I also rode the limited train system, which is excellent as far as it goes (which is hardly anywhere). I didn't find there was a whole lot to do in LA really. It's a wasteland compared to the East coast cities.
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby jo on Wed 24/Jun/09 3:07pm

I was pissed at a $100, 10km taxi ride (in the burbs, orange county), decided to walk back. :crazy: . Got tired, and it started to get dark :crazy: , so found a bus stop. Discovered the bus timetable info number didnt operate on saturdays :crazy:. Walked a few more blocks. By watching the buses going the other way figured out the frequency and eventually a bus came by.

It was a good bus :thumbsup: - but it seemed it was difficult to find out anything about it before you actually got on.

I'd like to go back and explore the canyons etc. But that'd be about it.
Be prepared to be horrified at the "outside airconditioners" :crazy:, and the lawn sprinker systems that run all day :crazy:, and toilets that use 16L/flush :crazy: in a place that is essentially a desert. :huh: Stoopid americans.
jo
"Windy"

Postby thecharmed01 on Wed 24/Jun/09 10:57pm

In vegas check out the hotels....most of em LOL

Paris is nice to look at.

Bellagio has a mean fountain/light show out the front for free.

The Mirage has an erupting Volcano show every 15 mins between like 6pm and 11pm I think....

Treasure Island has a battleship thing which goes for an hour and a half between 4pm and 11.30pm

New York New York - has a cool rollercoaster on the roof

Stratosphere has fricking mental stuff on the roof too - there are three rides that hang you off the roof.
Stratosphere also has good shows usually.

Vegas Hooters is fun

Also awesome was the Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - I had a hot waiter who made me dance with the staff when they stop the whole restaurant so the staff do their showtime crap.

Check out Freemont Street for free entertainment : Go down there on the hour as in the evenings they have 12 million lights, and hundreds of thousands of wattage blasted into the sound system and the show happens every hour after dark.
There is a great little irish bar on the corner by the bottom of the screens which has good beer.
If you are on the strip, take a cab as its a fricking long walk.

The grand canyon, hire a car. Budget do cars from $35USD a day, or you can hire a hummer for about $180 a day like we did LMAO.
GC is well worth a visit though, its incredible. Leave in the morning as they close the gate at about 4.30pm. Takes a few hours to get there really.

If you want to spend less money, when you go through the Vegas Airport, stop at the info booth and grab some of the entertainment guides. They have heaps of coupons in for cheap deals, 2 for 1 deals and free entry on things.
They are a great guide with maps and all.

Hit me up if you want info about anywhere else in the us, I spent time touristing it up in 11 states including Cali, Utah, Nevada, Texas, Nebraska, Colorado and heaps more..... :thumbsup:
thecharmed01
"Slave to Rogue"
Member for: 16 years 1 month

Postby RussS on Wed 24/Jun/09 11:49pm

It depends on what you wanna do and how much time you have.
There is actually some decent riding around north LA. These days it is a waste of time doing Tijuana unless you have a full day and are prepared to waste half of it at immigration/customs. The drive up to central Cali is real nice - San Luis Obispo county is real nice with places like San Simeion, Pismo Beach, Paso Robles & San Miguel.
Not too far from LA is the Colorado River - great for a visit. If you wanna see lots of dimwit blondes wearing not too many clothes Lake Havasu is also an excellent diversion.
RussS
Member for: 13 years 1 month

California | North America | Regions | Sifting | United States of America - Latest Posts