Strava Alternatives

Postby Scotty on Thu 13/Aug/15 8:48pm

I've been using sports tracker for a while on my cell-phone and it seems to work well.

Is there anything else out there that's good? Mainly want the triple threat of distance, heart rate and speed.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby dwgknz on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:17pm

Strava has segments so hard to beat.

I hate taking my phone riding so got a tomtom multisports watch, went cheap option so no heart rate or cadence but does do distance and speed. Syncs to phone when near and automatically uploads to Strava so I can go in there whenever and Czech my stats.

The tomtom app is runner focused and crap.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby mbl77 on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:34pm

Endomondo is pretty nice if Strava segments don't float your boat.
mbl77
User avatarMedal
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Farm on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:35pm

The free version of Training Peaks is pretty good. It has good graphs.
I use the paid version so I can play with power data.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:39pm

How much more accurate is a dedicated device like a Garmin of some kind over a phone for gps?
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby 13daza on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:45pm

I have been using Map my Ride ,seems to work OK. I use a Bluetooth hrm paired to the phone you can also connect smart Bluetooth devices like cadence and power meters if so inclined .The only thing that pisses me off with it is that some parts of the data on your profile seems to only work in some random time zone in the center of the known universe ( OK its central std time USA ) for some reason my OCD gets all riled up when I find that the workout I just did is on my calendar as yesterday ( same date but the day before ) it doesn't really matter ,I know, but it winds me up worse than mismatched colored clothes pegs.
They haven't addressed the problem yet as the market outside the US isn't as important the support desk people tell me that it will be sorted in the near future to be fair while it bothers me most others I know who use it haven't even noticed till I showed them.
It is a pretty smart piece of software it has heaps of features such as audio feedback you can set it to give you stats you want every couple of minutes or km , auto pause (great at the coffee stop) and heaps of other stuff i haven't bothered with...... avoid the free app and pay for it ,the ads are most persistent in the free version
I haven't used Strava but they look pretty similar although Map my Ride doesn't seem to be so geared towards smashing others on courses its perhaps aimed at personal fitness and training. Maybe someone else has tried both ?
13daza
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby Slapheid on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:51pm

dwgknz wrote:Strava has segments so hard to beat.

Roadies have beasted the Starva MTB segments alongside Summit Rd too. The swines :)
Slapheid
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 13/Aug/15 9:56pm

mudguard wrote:How much more accurate is a dedicated device like a Garmin of some kind over a phone for gps?

Find even the TomTom watch is way more accurate than my iPhone, heaps more detail (don't know the % for heaps). They are both (my version anyway) linear gps though so only calculated altitude from a map. When you get devices with altimeters you get realtime climbing and accurate altitude.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby adikt on Thu 13/Aug/15 10:17pm

I use runkeeper & strava,

It's interesting to see how differently they measure the same ride :lol:
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby scatter on Fri 14/Aug/15 6:56am

I use Garmin Connect (which has segments :rolleyes: ) cos I have teh Garmin now. It connects to Training Peaks which allows my coach to analyse my statz.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Fri 14/Aug/15 7:28am

Scotty wrote:I've been using sports tracker for a while on my cell-phone and it seems to work well.

Is there anything else out there that's good? Mainly want the triple threat of distance, heart rate and speed.

Can we ask why you are not happy with Strava? Technical issue, privacy issue, or just curiosity?

I generally don't like monopolies, and like having a choice, but when there's a standout performer like Strava (IMO) at least it's one less decision to have to make in life :rolleyes:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Fri 14/Aug/15 7:50am

mfw wrote:
Scotty wrote:I've been using sports tracker for a while on my cell-phone and it seems to work well.

Can we ask why you are not happy with Strava? Technical issue, privacy issue, or just curiosity?

I generally don't like monopolies, and like having a choice, but when there's a standout performer like Strava (IMO) at least it's one less decision to have to make in life :rolleyes:

In picking its having to pay for HR capability on Strava?
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Scotty on Fri 14/Aug/15 7:58am

Um, Strava on mine seems to be offered free?

On my phone its battery thing. Strava seems to destroy it compared to other apps I've tried.

If I was running a dedicated device like a Garmin or something similar it might be different story, and to be honest when I get some money I probably will go the Strava way.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Fri 14/Aug/15 9:30am

mudguard wrote:How much more accurate is a dedicated device like a Garmin of some kind over a phone for gps?

For GPS, not much in my experience - elevation is where I've noticed the largest difference. For example, a cruise around The Bays in Wellington has about 220m climbing (inc the haul up to Brooklyn), but the Strava android app regularly charts up near 1,000m for the same route...
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby Conners on Fri 14/Aug/15 10:12am

Scotty wrote:Um, Strava on mine seems to be offered free?

As you were. It's the "suffer score" that it tells me I need to upgrade to premium to see. I have a pretty good handle on when I'm suffering already though, don't think I need an app to tell me that :D
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Cycling | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts