Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Farm on Fri 14/Aug/15 7:19pm

This reminds me of the problem I've been having with Strava segments. The start of my local hill is now within my privacy boundary so it won't record the segment time, even with the privacy boundary turned off.
Only became a problem about a month ago.
Anyone had similar problems?
Farm
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby danose on Sat 15/Aug/15 4:24pm

wachtourak wrote:As dave says, they suck with elevation if you are right by the coastline, something to do with how they use GPS to calculate elevation, so for example round the bays here fucks out and gives you exaggerated elevation, it's pretty accurate if you are away from coast and up in the hills though.


you talking about realtime elevation, or calculated elevation when you upload to strava etc?

if you're talking about when uploading - issue is the jitter in your location can have the software thinking you're off the edge of the road and over a cliff (same issue wobs was describing up the port hills), which leads to rather interesting elevation graphs.

if you're talking about realtime - the calculated altitude has even more error margin than you x/y position - combine that with NZ having issues with the number of satellites above the horizon at any one time and you're looking at about +/-30m altitude error (vs +/-20m for x/y). That's where a unit that can also use glonas concurrently helps - more satellites to lock on to, less error. If you want really accurate altitude you need something with barometric altitude
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 15/Aug/15 7:25pm

danose wrote: If you want really accurate altitude you need something with barometric altitude


as long as the weather doesn't change...
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Slapheid on Sat 15/Aug/15 8:38pm

Farm wrote: The start of my local hill is now within my privacy boundary so it won't record the segment time
Anyone had similar problems?


I had to play around with my privacy boundary to avoid catching a couple of fav segments. I just changed the home addresses so that it wasn't centered on our house.
Slapheid
User avatar
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby wachtourak on Sat 15/Aug/15 9:24pm

danose wrote:
wachtourak wrote:As dave says, they suck with elevation if you are right by the coastline, something to do with how they use GPS to calculate elevation, so for example round the bays here fucks out and gives you exaggerated elevation, it's pretty accurate if you are away from coast and up in the hills though.


you talking about realtime elevation, or calculated elevation when you upload to strava etc?

if you're talking about when uploading - issue is the jitter in your location can have the software thinking you're off the edge of the road and over a cliff (same issue wobs was describing up the port hills), which leads to rather interesting elevation graphs.

if you're talking about realtime - the calculated altitude has even more error margin than you x/y position - combine that with NZ having issues with the number of satellites above the horizon at any one time and you're looking at about +/-30m altitude error (vs +/-20m for x/y). That's where a unit that can also use glonas concurrently helps - more satellites to lock on to, less error. If you want really accurate altitude you need something with barometric altitude


Yeah I was meaning calculated elevation. And Garmin 510/520 can get glonas satellites, hence why I want that one
Last edited by wachtourak on Sat 15/Aug/15 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby danose on Sat 15/Aug/15 9:28pm

slidecontrol wrote:
danose wrote: If you want really accurate altitude you need something with barometric altitude


as long as the weather doesn't change...


if the weather is wild enough to have a significant pressure delta in the time it takes to you ride a climb you've got bigger problems than bad strava data
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 15/Aug/15 9:46pm

true, its lots of fun reviewing data from a 24hour though.
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 16/Aug/15 9:51am

Slapheid wrote:
Farm wrote: The start of my local hill is now within my privacy boundary so it won't record the segment time
Anyone had similar problems?


I had to play around with my privacy boundary to avoid catching a couple of fav segments. I just changed the home addresses so that it wasn't centered on our house.

I just don't turn strava on till I'm at the start of the track, tiny first world downside to living so close to the trails.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby mudguard on Sun 16/Aug/15 10:22am

danose wrote:
wachtourak wrote: If you want really accurate altitude you need something with barometric altitude


My phone (S4) has a barometer in it. But Samsung have it pretty locked down, so apps can't really use it. I do have it displayed on my home screen with temp and humidity. Which is pretty cool.
But Strava doesn't use it.
mudguard
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Farm on Sun 16/Aug/15 10:46am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Slapheid wrote:
Farm wrote: The start of my local hill is now within my privacy boundary so it won't record the segment time
Anyone had similar problems?


I had to play around with my privacy boundary to avoid catching a couple of fav segments. I just changed the home addresses so that it wasn't centered on our house.

I just don't turn strava on till I'm at the start of the track, tiny first world downside to living so close to the trails.

Are you using a Strava app on a phone? I'm using a Garmin 810, will try starting it down the road.
Farm
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 16/Aug/15 11:01am

Yeah, just vanilla phone strava. I don't use it for anything serious, just racing myself.
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Slapheid on Mon 14/Sep/15 9:38am

I can highly recommend the Garmin Edge 500 if you intend washing your GPS on a 60°C cycle with your riding gear..... :thumbsup: :blush:
Slapheid
User avatar
"Good things come to those who gate."
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 14/Sep/15 10:12am

wow, i was just looking at this thread this morning, and here someone posts in it..., cos i've just started using MapMyRide which i'm finding okay but a little strange at times, and I can never seem to find the same thing twice in a row in it... and the web view of it has different bits to what's on the App. Just on a basic Android ('rola E) phone. Reluctant to try Strava cos it seems so roadie oriented, whereas MMR seems to be reasonably unbiased. Anyway, first few trials of it it does what i want it to do. One weird thing was going around sort of near Shag(ged) Rock, apparently the road is 73 metres here! :D

Currently holding the quickest time down Greenwood from yesterday's run, (just over 12 minutes?) which probably indicates the calibre of the other people on MMR more than my #enduro credentials. Hurr hurr.
swtchbckr
User avatar
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Rik on Mon 14/Sep/15 10:15am

Slapheid wrote:I can highly recommend the Garmin Edge 500 if you intend washing your GPS on a 60°C cycle with your riding gear..... :thumbsup: :blush:


This is good to hear. I have and irrational fear that one day my 500 will have to endure the same accidental journey.

They are only rated to IPX7 - accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. So it did well to survive a full cycle.
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Strava Alternatives

Postby Trail on Mon 14/Sep/15 10:28am

swtchbckr wrote:wow, i was just looking at this thread this morning, and here someone posts in it..., cos i've just started using MapMyRide which i'm finding okay but a little strange at times, and I can never seem to find the same thing twice in a row in it... and the web view of it has different bits to what's on the App. Just on a basic Android ('rola E) phone. Reluctant to try Strava cos it seems so roadie oriented, whereas MMR seems to be reasonably unbiased. Anyway, first few trials of it it does what i want it to do. One weird thing was going around sort of near Shag(ged) Rock, apparently the road is 73 metres here! :D

Currently holding the quickest time down Greenwood from yesterday's run, (just over 12 minutes?) which probably indicates the calibre of the other people on MMR more than my #enduro credentials. Hurr hurr.


Plenty of mtbs on Strava. I hardly ever record with it - but I do use the "explore" function to find trails when I am somewhere new...
Trail
User avatar
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Cycling | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts

Who is online

53 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles