Storage Hook Spacing?

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 15th Jan 9:57am

Moved house recently and I’m wanting to install some hook to hang bikes from front wheel. How far apart do I place the hooks?
A single row or two rows of hooks? i.e. high & low so that handlebars can overlap. It’s for a mix of MTB (up to 6) and road (2).
Garage is all white painted plasterboard so my plan is a couple of sheets of polyurethaned ply over the gib and one on ceiling too so that it creates a bike ‘area’. I’ll put the hooks in a horizontal 100x50 and that’ll be coach screwed to the studs.
UK_Exile
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Storage Hook Spacing?

Postby jo on Mon 15th Jan 10:47am

I'd do two rows - high and low for overlap.
Typically roadies should be stored high while mtb go low (cos the bars go forward and muck up the spacing in overlap.

I just attached the 100 x 50s for the hooks to the studs. But - my garage isnt lined. You might want something over the plasterboard but you could equally use a strip of vinyl/lino for durability where the wheels go. (not sure what the cost trade off is though - ply isnt the cheapest thing around, and you'd be amazed how much polyurethane it soaks up).
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 15th Jan 11:05am

Thanks for the info. It's a new house so I've already brought the 9mm hardwood faced ply ($35/sheet) & I've put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it. Looks 'flash as' and will be durable and wipeable.
I was thinking of high and low as it'd minimise the total width. What spacings though?
If I mess up the spacing at least it's easy to redrill or replace the 100x50.
UK_Exile

Postby jo on Mon 15th Jan 11:23am

Im not home at the mo. But I'll measure when I get there. :)

I'll try to find a tape at work and measure the work bike room in abit.
jo
"Windy"

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 15th Jan 12:09pm

thanks
UK_Exile

Postby jo on Mon 15th Jan 3:21pm

About 38-39cm between hooks here at work. Seems to cater for a range of bikes - though bike room etiquette says road bikes on the top due to handlebar overlap.

Get good hooks - some of them are abit nasty on the rims, especially if you've got wide tyres.
jo
"Windy"

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 15th Jan 3:43pm

Thanks. It's good to know from a workplace as its catering for a variety of bikes.
UK_Exile

Postby jo on Mon 15th Jan 3:48pm

Well yes. But if all your mtb have 800 wide bars then you might want to space them out abit more. :paranoid:
jo
"Windy"

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 15th Jan 3:49pm

err, pass! I'll have to check. Doubt it though as they're 100mm travel XC bikes
UK_Exile

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 29th Jan 5:08pm

Here’s how it turned out. I’m pleased with how it looks like a dedicated bike area and can easily hang 6 bikes of mixed type. Visually it’s a shame the manhole and media box disrupted using whole sheets but I could only use that wall.
The hooks are 420mm apart. The 100x50 are 300mm and 460mm down from ceiling.
Used two sheets of low cost 9mm veneer ply vertically on wall. Most of a sheet on ceiling to define the area and provide bump protection.
Two coats of polyurethane so should be wipe able when they get really dirty from muddy MTBs. Better the ply than the white painted gib board!
small.jpg
UK_Exile

Postby jo on Mon 29th Jan 5:10pm

Looks very pro! :thumbsup:
jo
"Windy"

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 30th Jan 12:27pm

Thanks. Like all DIY projects it took 4x as long as expected. Result is worth it though :D
UK_Exile

Postby philstar on Tue 30th Jan 2:37pm

I store my mountain bikes by the back wheel that way the oil is not pooling on the seals and you don't notice when your fork seals are leaking. also you don't lose oil when they are.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 30th Jan 2:45pm

Never had a problem. Maybe a question for the bike mechanics thread?
UK_Exile

Postby Conners on Tue 30th Jan 11:22pm

philstar wrote:I store my mountain bikes by the back wheel that way the oil is not pooling on the seals and you don't notice when your fork seals are leaking. also you don't lose oil when they are.

I store my mountain bikes by the front wheel, that way the oil soaks into the foam rings as these are there to help lubricate your stanchions and seals. It also means that you do notice when your seals are leaking and need replacing. :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts