Re: Storage Hook Spacing?

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 31st Jan 12:02am

philstar wrote:I store my mountain bikes by the back wheel that way the oil is not pooling on the seals and you don't notice when your fork seals are leaking. also you don't lose oil when they are.

That's the best way to keep seals from drying up ;)
If they are leaking, one should replace them instead of ignoring them.

Also keeps oil in the foam rings in forks that have them (eg. Rock Shox).
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby Rik on Wed 31st Jan 9:19am

Forget the fork seals, I'd be more worried about air gravitating (technically the oil gravitates down pushing the air up) to the high point in the system ie. the caliper if hung right way up.

storage of bikes was so much simpler in the black and white days when they didn't have these fancy gizmos.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby jo on Wed 31st Jan 10:24am

I'm abit old school in that I think a properly bled disc brake should not have any air in the hose.

But - my brakes on my last bike continually proved me wrong by being distinctly spongy for the first few mins after taking it down. The current bike, not at all. But the new fangled design might change things I guess.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 31st Jan 12:02pm

Cure is hang less, ride more :)
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby jo on Wed 31st Jan 12:19pm

UK_Exile wrote:Cure is hang less, ride more :)

n>1
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 31st Jan 2:31pm

Simple. Disassemble bike, then hang fork inverted, shock shaft down, and brakes lever high.
Everything will be lovely once you reassemble to ride.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 31st Jan 2:54pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Simple. Disassemble bike, then hang fork inverted, shock shaft down, and brakes lever high.
Everything will be lovely once you reassemble to ride.

Simpler is have no storage and hire or buy a new bike every ride. Dreams are free, however the hire/buy option isn't!
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts