Stikboards- To Good To Be True?

Postby hotshot on Tue 6/Mar/07 5:37pm

I got a pamphlet in the mail today about these. Sounds to good to be true, a all terain board. Sounds very good all the same and not being to expensive with a $160 price tag. Has anyone on this site got a stikboard or seen one working?

check the out www.stikboardsnz.co.nz
hotshot
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Friendly Llama on Tue 6/Mar/07 5:45pm

Bahaha, what a piece of crap, it'd suck for snow/water - no bindings, yet can't even be used as a skateboard, cos you have to put mesh everywhere.

I guess it would be cool for sand dunes though - buts its cheaper to use a for sale sign... or snowboard or skateboard deck ;)
Friendly Llama
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby ratrod on Wed 7/Mar/07 6:59pm

Anybody that knows the pleasure in doing a smith grind, or any other grind for that matter wouldn't even entertain the idea.
ratrod
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Lukus on Wed 7/Mar/07 7:05pm

Madcore?
Lukus
"The Colonel's Finest"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Boardy on Thu 8/Mar/07 3:50pm

Friendly Llama wrote: Bahaha, what a piece of crap, it'd suck for snow/water - no bindings, yet can't even be used as a skateboard, cos you have to put mesh everywhere.

I guess it would be cool for sand dunes though - buts its cheaper to use a for sale sign... or snowboard or skateboard deck ;)

You obviously didn't look very closely my friend. It's perfect for snow and you can use it with or without the straps (bindings). Last winter in Australia a snowskate competition was won by someone riding a stikboard.

As for water, same deal, need the straps obviously. Harder than a wakeboard but that is what it is all about!

Way cheaper than a snowboard, and can be used on grass, snow, water, sand.

Yeah you need mesh if riding on concrete, ramps etc, but it's not meant to replace a skateboard - it's a new challenge to develop new skills, thrills....and most likely spills!
Boardy
Member for: 12 years 9 months

RE: Stikboards- To Good To Be True?

Postby Boardy on Thu 8/Mar/07 3:54pm

hotshot wrote: I got a pamphlet in the mail today about these. Sounds to good to be true, a all terain board. Sounds very good all the same and not being to expensive with a $160 price tag. Has anyone on this site got a stikboard or seen one working?

Yes, it truly is an all terrain board. Sounds to good to be true....well this may just be one of those times it is true.

Sure there are limitations, but it can do all the things it says. Absolutley perfect for snow, and great on grass given a big enough slope (and if the slope is and bit small, use the mesh to get a run up).

Sand - needs to have rained the night before so it's got a little bit of solidity to it.

water - much harder than a wakeboard to get going, but once your up it's brilliant.

Concrete, ramps and anywhere else - Sure you need mesh. Don't confuse this with a skateboard - cause it's not. But it's a great new challenge.

And best of all it's way cheaper than a snowboard, smaller so you can have it in the boot of the car. And kids love it (wherever they use cardboard to go down a hill - well try this instead!)
Boardy

Postby Boardy on Thu 8/Mar/07 3:55pm

ratrod wrote: Anybody that knows the pleasure in doing a smith grind, or any other grind for that matter wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Again - don't compare. This is new and is meant to be different. It requires different skills, manoevers and abilities to ride.

But I guess if you're afraid to try something new or develop new skill then this isn't for you.
Boardy

Postby ratrod on Thu 8/Mar/07 4:42pm

Boardy wrote:
ratrod wrote: Anybody that knows the pleasure in doing a smith grind, or any other grind for that matter wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Again - don't compare. This is new and is meant to be different. It requires different skills, manoevers and abilities to ride.

But I guess if you're afraid to try something new or develop new skill then this isn't for you.

If I was afraid of trying new things, I wouldn't be riding a bike and would still be only on a skateboard. The skills for this would be very similar to snowboarding, which I am also a fan of. My problem is that without trucks and wheels you would not be able to ollie very high, and thats one of the best feelings ever. Still I have messed around with riding a skateboard with no trucks and wheels down grass hills and snow, so in essence I have tried one of these and you could correctly call me a hypocrite.
Can you imaging a "bicycle" with skis and no wheels? I have seen one, but try getting a cyclist to take it seriously. Crikey I have trouble taking lycra seriously.
Have a looks at patents.google.com and all the "skateboard" variations that have managed to succeed in getting a patent. I pretty sure that you won't find many on the market these days.
ratrod

Postby Boardy on Thu 8/Mar/07 4:48pm

[quote=If I was afraid of trying new things, I wouldn't be riding a bike and would still be only on a skateboard. The skills for this would be very similar to snowboarding, which I am also a fan of. My problem is that without trucks and wheels you would not be able to ollie very high, and thats one of the best feelings ever. Still I have messed around with riding a skateboard with no trucks and wheels down grass hills and snow, so in essence I have tried one of these and you could correctly call me a hypocrite.
Can you imaging a "bicycle" with skis and no wheels? I have seen one, but try getting a cyclist to take it seriously. Crikey I have trouble taking lycra seriously.
Have a looks at patents.google.com and all the "skateboard" variations that have managed to succeed in getting a patent. I pretty sure that you won't find many on the market these days.[/quote]

I hear ya! Lycra....nice....

Yeah, guess it's trying to get out of the whole "this is a skateboard without wheels" mentality first. As that is not what it is meant to be. It's just meant to be a new type of board that can be used everywhere.

This board has been around in Aussie for about 4 years now and has sold well. A team has recently gone to the states to compete in some snowskate comps over there on stikboards. They've also held there own Stikboard comps that were a huge success.
Boardy

Postby ratrod on Thu 8/Mar/07 9:13pm

Yeah and so have snake boards
ratrod

Re: Stikboards- To Good To Be True?

Postby Flyskyhigh on Fri 27th Sep 10:04am

So many people on this forum are trying to compare a Stikboard to skateboards with no wheels, wake boards, and other sideways ridden boards, as life WAS meant to be ridden sideways!
They are 100% legit! I have an older one from early 2000’s, and I have a new one, and yeah, so what, you want to ride it on concrete, get the mesh! When I lived in Byron bay for many years I lived in a house with four dudes, there was there was over 30 plus surfboards around the house, several snowboards, and I couldn’t even tell you how many skateboards as we all rode park, and raced downhill!
Back in early 2000’s when we first discovered them we bought two, took it to an epic grass hill and the shorter the grass the easier it is to ride having less friction, we bought four more straight away! Sand needs a but of momentum to get going, but once you’re moving regardless of what surface you’re on you can actually steer them unlike other shitty toys on the market!
Be bought a shit load of mesh, took it down to the snake bowl and could not believe at first just how fast they can go! And yes you can Ollie them, kick flip, and skate tricks you can do on a Stikboard. My favourite was being towed along the beach on a tow rooe attached to the tow bar of a fourby because you can use the wash to pop some sikk air, skim, switch, anything’s wakeboard can do but considering it’s an all round all purpose board, obviously the performance won’t be as good as a skateboard, snowboard, wake board etc, but if you’ve never ridden one don’t complain about it, buy one and go and have some fun!
I’ve ridden them on snow (no bindings), but I also bought a newer one some years later which you could tell immediately the design was much more advanced!
So to all the haters, actually try one before you write it off! If you like to have fun, then stop complaining and trying to compare it to everything else on the market, because it isn’t! It’s a completely dope AF innovative all purpose board designed to have fun on!
We dominated a local snake bowl one day covering it in mesh, and the crazy thing beyond the speed it gets on the mesh, you can still get decent air, Ollie, kick flip, most skate tricks you can do on a skateboard!
We had an eighyt foot half pipe in our backyard, a four foot mini ramp, we tried to use that bit the tranny was too steep and with the mesh it just spat out from underneath you, so we made another mini ramp, but instead of having such a sharp tranny, we widened it out more and was still busting decent air! Snow with no bindings was just as fun, obviously it as sharp in its turns or speed, but still rode, steered, hit the park and grind and board slide on rails and fun boxes, they literally can be used on any surface!
I was being dragged along a gravel road behind my mates trailer one day, didn’t completely destroy it but it left marks and still slid well enough!..
My face (as already mentioned) is on water! You could literally use it like a wakeboard if you put bindings or foot straps on it, but riding the wash and popping air from the small waves or white wash is sikk! You can Ollie on water, kick flip on water, pop shovets, spin and have a sikk time, and if the sand is hard enough and your driver is confident enough then if they clip the water it leaves a trail of wake which you can use for more air and shredding!
So yo anyone writing them off who’s never actually ridden one, I’ve been riding my two forn15 years now, and because I can’t ski for shit, to speed fly on snow (paragliding), I’m now going to use bindings, because you need skis to take off and stop, and stopping is m downfall even though I’ve been paragliding for 12 years and knee thought to use my one!
Don’t be a pussy, and don’t be a hater, buy one and have something new and fun to do
Flyskyhigh
Member for: 2 months 1 week

Sifting - Latest Posts