Stereo / Home Theatre Systems.

Postby OliverBendix on Sun 13/Sep/09 7:55pm

Both the stereos in the house have given up - first the ancient Sony receiver started crackling, then the slightly less ancient Pioneer midi system that I dragged out from the shed as a replacement refused to play CDs. I could get another second hand stereo amp, to go with the tired speakers and CD player I have that still work, but I was thinking instead of getting a cheapish complete home theatre system, something like this for example.

Bearing in mind that I don't have ultra high hi-fi standards or budget, do these sorts of things make a reasonable stereo for listening to the odd CD, music off the USB input and plenty of National Radio? It's in a fairly small living room, so doesn't need power to lift the roof. It'll also probably drive an old CRT TV - do these generally have analogue video out as well as the HDMI? We'll need the HDMI eventually when my wife gets her flat screen - she loves the telly and I think she'll want to get a flat one some time!
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Re: Stereo / Home Theatre Systems.

Postby ThingOne on Sun 13/Sep/09 8:03pm

For the price and what they do , all in ones are good value, I have a sony one and have been pleased with it, HDMI upscaling is a marketing gimic IMHO, no noticable difference, but the HDMI interface is good as my flat screen is sony, so when hooked up to the TV the entertainment system automatically takes over the sound and switches modes automatically etc if you stick a DVD in or something, I believe Panasonic have something similar.
So in short, yep I think they are ok for the price, of course the sound is not going to be as good as a high end sound system, but for me its just fine.
CRT's wont have HDMI interface, only AV or S Video/Scarts, or composite.
ThingOne
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Re: Stereo / Home Theatre Systems.

Postby OliverBendix on Sun 13/Sep/09 8:15pm

ThingOne wrote:CRT's wont have HDMI interface, only AV or S Video/Scarts, or composite.

Yeah, I'll have to look for a system with composite video out for the backward compatibility with the current old telly. HDMI is for the future.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Sifting | Technology | Television - Latest Posts