Re: 2" Square Hitch On Standard Wagon?

Postby Sickman on Thu 5/Nov/15 9:19pm

Trail wrote:I am liking the look of the hitch mounting racks like this Yakima model http://www.yakima.co.nz/2/Products/cate ... 2/Holdup-2

That should work well with Ebikes :sly:
Sickman
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Postby kavika on Sun 8/Nov/15 6:14pm

I run that Yakima rack on my Safari. Has an anti-rattle setup which is good. Was going to buy the extender for mine, but will most likely protrude too far back for my liking.
Most engineering shops should be able to make the hitch up. Mine was just a standard bar, with the original cut off and new hitch welded on
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Trail on Sun 8/Nov/15 7:09pm

I had wondered about that... but if you have the tail light setup on the back it should be ok...

I am interested in how easily the extender can be added/taken away?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 10/Nov/15 10:17am

kavika wrote:I run that Yakima rack on my Safari. Has an anti-rattle setup which is good. Was going to buy the extender for mine, but will most likely protrude too far back for my liking.
Most engineering shops should be able to make the hitch up. Mine was just a standard bar, with the original cut off and new hitch welded on

The problem with getting an engineering shop to make one up is the cost and the fitment. In the states they have the 2" ID square tube that is a good fit for the square hitch. In NZ we don't. Closest we can do is 65 square hollow with 6mm wall which is 53mm inside and has a dirty great seam up inside. The result is a poor fit and about 3 degrees of wobble either side. You can cut and weld an SHS tube to the right size, but that's time consuming and expensive.

The other issue is the pin location. US towbars are all done to the same SAE standard for pin diameter and position. In NZ they won't be paying hundreds for the SAE standard with pin size and location, so they'll just drill whatever hole size where-ever. Which means any standard 2" insert (like a Yakima rack) will also need modified to fit.
The square receiver bar on my work-car came with a 3/4" diameter tractor pin in it. To fit a standard 5/8" pin lock I had to machine up a sleeve etc.

You can buy cast or fabricated inserts quite cheap in the US which are the right dimensions and seamless. It'd be worth posting one over for yourself if you wanted to get an existing towbar modified.

If you can buy a towbar from the states which will fit and get it posted for under about $600 then that's your cheapest and best option. If you want to make or modify a towbar here then here's a socket: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200612678

Then you can be sure all the necessary things like this will fit properly:
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby michael on Tue 10/Nov/15 10:48am

Or this:

bba94778-53dc-471c-b1eb-30484c47ca6b.jpg
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 10/Nov/15 11:05am

That looks like something wachy would keep in his sock drawer
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby kavika on Tue 10/Nov/15 5:49pm

Edit: My hitch has been shimmed, and the bolt hole diameter is larger than that of the rack.
Cost me $125 for steel/fitting to existing towbar.
The rack is a snug fit, and all the slack is taken up with the bolt attachment on the rack itself, so the larger diameter hitch hole vs rack hole isn't an issue either.
Would post pics, but no idea how to from iPad
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Racks - Latest Posts