Spicer Forest Closed, Te Araroa Diverted Until December 2014

Postby MillCreek on Tue 20/Nov/12 8:26am

If you’re planning to ride in Porirua's Spicer Forest, or the Te Araroa Walkway, please remember the whole forest – including the forest section of the walkway – is closed to the public until December 2014.

Spicer Forest is a construction site and access route while Meridian builds the Mill Creek wind farm.

You can still use the diverted Te Araroa Walkway, which avoids Spicer Forest. The walkway is accessible through Ohariu Valley Road and the Colonial Knob walkway. Maps at the site show the diverted route.

There's a map of the diversion here:
http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/assets/PDF/What-we-do/Our-projects/Mill-Creek-project/SpicerTeAraroa.pdf.pdf

If you have any questions call Meridian on 0800 MILLCK (0800 645525).
MillCreek
Member for: 7 years 0 months

Re: Spicer Forest Closed, Te Araroa Diverted Until December 2014

Postby UZUMATI on Wed 18/Dec/13 10:36am

According to tracks.org.nz the diversion track has been hammered by windfall in the winter storms.
Has anyone attempted to go through the track recently ?
Am looking at doing a longest day ride on saturday via as many tracks & cycle paths in the wellington region.
I don't mind hike a bike (have done the PercyPass trip in fiordland) but want to ride on sat and not then keen on grovelling...
This diversion track is an important link from the skyline to colonial knob and further afield...
Otherwise it will be kaukau, johnsonville, takapu rd, ascot park and then heading north...
UZUMATI
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby michael on Wed 18/Dec/13 11:21am

UZUMATI wrote:According to tracks.org.nz the diversion track has been hammered by windfall in the winter storms.
Has anyone attempted to go through the track recently ?
Am looking at doing a longest day ride on saturday via as many tracks & cycle paths in the wellington region.
I don't mind hike a bike (have done the PercyPass trip in fiordland) but want to ride on sat and not then keen on grovelling...
This diversion track is an important link from the skyline to colonial knob and further afield...
Otherwise it will be kaukau, johnsonville, takapu rd, ascot park and then heading north...

There are still signs and orange netting up saying track closed, but around 95% of the fallen trees have been removed, so it is mostly ridable, except for a few places where falling trees have up rooted bits of track. It is all passable though, and a very nice ride.

I don't recommend going east and down the Colonial Knob South track (http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/165) into Broken Hill Road, it is a long, sad, steep altitude wasting walk down steps, with just a tiny bit of single track in places. Put the effort in and head up west at the stile onto the top of colonial knob and ride down one of the other tracks.
michael
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby UZUMATI on Wed 18/Dec/13 11:31am

Awesome - thanks for the quick response and the top tip :)

Gunna be a bit of a slog but I'm planning on carrying my stead up to colonial knob and then rip down the road...
Just running the south track puts a big smile on the dial couldn't imagine riding it as those steps are steep and don't have much run out...maybe I need to find some mad skillz..lol
UZUMATI

Postby cruiser on Wed 18/Dec/13 11:35pm

There's a cpl of trails you can hit in Colonial Knob.

Crash palace is part way down the hill from Colonial knob, grade 3 with G4 sections. Smooth terrain, but has little chutes. Also a track being built starting at the lower, north-most tower.

Once exit Colonial knob, Raiha Street walkway, near 4WD exit, is the nicest connector trail if you're heading toward Porirua
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby UZUMATI on Thu 19/Dec/13 10:46pm

Thanks - the single track on the way down will make the grovel up to the top of the hill worthwhile.
Already had the rahia walkway on the radar :)
Real impressed by all the maps of the walkways/cycleways on the net..
UZUMATI

Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts