11-36 9 Speed Cassette

Postby Toko on Wed 5th Dec 10:27pm

Hi, I want to put a 11-36 cassette on the back of my 29er. I'm too weak and unfit for a 11-34 cassette now.

Does anyone have a cassette they want to sell? Got to be 9 speed.

And this is the tricky part... I want a XT style alloy carrier cos I'm a weenie. Did they even make such a cassette?

Thanks

-Antony
Toko
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: 11-36 9 Speed Cassette

Postby powernz on Thursday 9:53pm

I can only find a Sora and an XT in 9sp with any where near that - 11-34
What about changing the inner chainring for a couple of teeth less? Would probably be cheaper.
powernz
Member for: 1 month 2 weeks

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thursday 10:28pm

Edited due to reading comprehension issues.
Last edited by Velocipedestrian on Friday 9:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby el_booto on Friday 12:44am

9sp is your Achilles heel on this deal, the only one available to my knowledge is a shimano deore/HG400 and it's 12-36. Sunrace may offer one but it's not available here if so.
You might want to consider an upgrade to 10 or 11sp, they're both available in 2/3x with up to 42t first gear.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Toko on Sunday 9:24pm

uuuugh, I thought that might be the case... trapped by nine speed. Now I know how all those eight speed diehards felt.

I can't do anything with the chainrings because it is a 22-32-42 triple

But I need a lower granny gear. What about 11-40, would that work with my derailer? I think I saw one of those in nine speed on Aliexpress
Toko

Postby Conners on Sunday 10:07pm

Related/Unrelated question - do you have a clutch rear derailleur?
If not, an upgrade to 10spd will get you one, and it will improve your life by at least 482%
Pair that with a lower granny and you’ll be laughing.

Have a look on crc, they often run deals on 10-11 speed conversion kits, sometimes not as expensive as you’d think. You’re still up for a cassette/derailleur/shifter/chain though - so obviously not as cheap as just a cassette if you can find one.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Toko on Monday 8:45pm

No, I don't have a clutch derailer! I had forgotten about that innovation. Yeah, it's been about 7 years since I last rode real trails, and almost 10 years since I built up my 29er.

For shame!

Upgrades are a rabbit hole... I will check chainreaction to see what 10 speed would sting me, but when I start down that rabbit hole I think about slapping a 26 or 27.5 wheel on the back and lowering gearing that way. Or just singlespeeding it.

What's the deal with 10 speed, does it use the same chain as nine speed? How about the hub, still 135mm? Have hubs got wider since more gears were added or are chains like dental floss now?

cheers for all the help. It's good to see that Vorb is still going
Toko

Postby Dougal on Monday 9:35pm

Toko wrote:No, I don't have a clutch derailer! I had forgotten about that innovation. Yeah, it's been about 7 years since I last rode real trails, and almost 10 years since I built up my 29er.

For shame!

Upgrades are a rabbit hole... I will check chainreaction to see what 10 speed would sting me, but when I start down that rabbit hole I think about slapping a 26 or 27.5 wheel on the back and lowering gearing that way. Or just singlespeeding it.

What's the deal with 10 speed, does it use the same chain as nine speed? How about the hub, still 135mm? Have hubs got wider since more gears were added or are chains like dental floss now?

cheers for all the help. It's good to see that Vorb is still going

9-10sp interchange is pretty good. The chains are technically different but I've used 9sp joiners on 10sp chains so there isn't much in it. Rear hub spacing and freehub is all the same, the current 142x12mm rear hubs are just 135mm rear hubs with longer end-caps which sit in frame recesses for easier install.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Monday 9:42pm

I’ve switched from 9 to 10 speed on 135mm hub, all good as the my both run the same freewheel/cassette width. Chain is fractionally skinnier like you say.

Technically I don’t think you need a new derailleur to go 9 to 10, given that the overall travel stays the same. All the indexing is done in the shifter, that’s the brains of the operation. My derailleur was pretty sloppy, and I wanted the clutch for chain retention given I was going 1x up front.

So if your derailleur is in decent condition, you could get away with:
- Cassette
- Chain
- Shifter

Assuming your chainrings are gonna accept a new chain (9 speed rings to accept 10 speed chain), but if they’re worn then there’s another rabbit hole to go down!

That’s where I ended up. Everything pretty worn, was actually cheaper to go 1x10 than it would’ve been to stay 3x9 (or convert to 2x9)
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Conners on Tuesday 6:09am

Dougal wrote:9-10sp interchange is pretty good. The chains are technically different but I've used 9sp joiners on 10sp chains so there isn't much in it.

From memory the internal spacings are the same, just very slightly narrower side plates?
Which is why 9 speed chain rings work fine with 10 speed chains.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Toko on Tuesday 9:43pm

Swweet, thanks for all the help.

I took your suggestion, Conners, and bought a 10 speed SLX cassette (11-36), a Zee 10 speed shifter, and an XT chain. When they arrive I'll slap them on and my mountain-goat abilities should be restored.

As an aside, do people climb hills with a 1x10 setup? I pointed my browser to a trusty gear calculator and did the calcs on a 29er with a 30 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear - errrk - not my idea of a good time!
Toko

Postby Dougal on Wednesday 7:55am

Toko wrote:As an aside, do people climb hills with a 1x10 setup? I pointed my browser to a trusty gear calculator and did the calcs on a 29er with a 30 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear - errrk - not my idea of a good time!

Good for the quads, not so good for the knees!

I'm upgrading right now from 1x (30T with 10-42T rear) to 3x (22/30/40 and 11-36).
When the 10sp 11-36 wears out I'll go 11sp 11-40T on the back.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Wednesday 12:07pm

Toko wrote:Swweet, thanks for all the help.

I took your suggestion, Conners, and bought a 10 speed SLX cassette (11-36), a Zee 10 speed shifter, and an XT chain. When they arrive I'll slap them on and my mountain-goat abilities should be restored.

Nice one - that should see you right.

Toko wrote:As an aside, do people climb hills with a 1x10 setup? I pointed my browser to a trusty gear calculator and did the calcs on a 29er with a 30 tooth front and a 42 tooth rear - errrk - not my idea of a good time!

Yip - I went from 3x9 with 24/32/42 x 11-34 to 1x10 with 32T (oval) x 11-36. I'm on 26" wheels.
Its fine for 99% of what I ride, I'm based in Welly.
A typical ride for me looks like this - hopefully you can see the elevation chart.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2009582186

I've posted this before, but there is only one ride where I've bailed out and pushed - and that was Whites Bay/Mt Robertson in Marlborough. I don't think I would've been able to clean those climbs even if I had a 22T granny though!!! (1000m up over 9km)
Ride profile in here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1337977511

For rides like that (or something like Karapoti) I would be tempted to throw a granny on and just manually shift it over for the slog. But I don't race, or ride for outright speed any more, so getting off to push on the very rare occasion doesn't bother me.

For me 1x works, I love the silence, the lack of mis-shifts and dropped chains, and to sound like a wanker, the simplicity of it all :lol:
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Dougal on Wednesday 1:22pm

The silence thing is interesting. I find SRAM 1x11 was always grinding and pulsing. Whenever I'd be listening the chain was either in the big or small and at an angle that made the chain twitch and pulse both entering and leaving the cassette and sprocket.

With 3x I can run far better chainline and avoid that.

The only 1x ratios with a decent chainline are the ones I don't really use.
Dougal

Postby Conners on Wednesday 6:13pm

Never heard and grinding or pulsing in low gears (big sprockets), sub optimal chainline in the 11 tooth but I don’t spend all day in it like you seem to.

Silence is most noticible downhill, but that was mostly the clutch mech getting rid of the clatter and chain slap of the old setup. I’m sure losing the front mech quietened things in that scenario too.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Cycling - Latest Posts