Re: 11-36 9 Speed Cassette

Postby Dougal on Wed 12/Dec/18 6:40pm

Shimano also runs a lot smoother than SRAM.
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Toko on Wed 12/Dec/18 10:06pm

Oh yes, a single chainring appeals to me as well. A lot. For the same reasons, simplicity, looks, lighter weight etc etc.

And on my frame (Kona King Kahuna) the front derailler is *millimeters* away from the rear tyre. So I could run a bigger rear tyre if I ditched it.

But there is no way I could ride a 30-42 up a steep climb, let alone a 30-36.

A 30-42 on a 29er is 20.51 gear inches. When I was at my fittest I could ride an 18.78 inch gear up almost everything (29er, 22 tooth chainring and 34 tooth sprocket).

My gold standard for funtimes up hills was my 26er, which I *could* ride up everything. That had a 22 tooth chainring and a 34 tooth sprocket, for 17.04 inches.

I loved that bike but I went over the bars a lot. I switched to 29er and was suddenly a lot more comfortable downhill, but I never really bonded with my new bike. I think that was because I couldn't clean some of the climbs I used to do on my 26er.

Conners, I can't see your strava elevations (too lazy to sign up) but I totally know where you are coming from. I've seen a friend ride a climb with a 32 chainring and a 34 tooth sprocket that I couldn't clean in my lowest gear. He was just strong, whereas I tend more towards the toothpick legs side of things. You may be the same, able to muscle up instead of changing down.

clutch mech sounds like the go, I will start saving
Toko
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Thu 13/Dec/18 8:38am

Toko wrote:Conners, I can't see your strava elevations (too lazy to sign up) but I totally know where you are coming from. I've seen a friend ride a climb with a 32 chainring and a 34 tooth sprocket that I couldn't clean in my lowest gear. He was just strong, whereas I tend more towards the toothpick legs side of things. You may be the same, able to muscle up instead of changing down.

clutch mech sounds like the go, I will start saving

I went through a phase of suffering really badly from chain suck in my early days of riding. That put me into a mentality of riding everywhere possible in my middle ring, and 'saving' my granny ring for when I absolutely needed it - on the basis that a fresh granny was less susceptible to suck. That mentality just ended up being engrained in the way I ride in years to come, and I would literally ride in the middle ring all the time and treat the granny as a bail out. This was back in the days when 22x28 was a low granny!

So when it came to lose the granny it wasn't that much of a big deal. My calculations at the time saw my saying goodbye to my two lowest gears - and like you say I was able to just power through those pinches.

Everyone is different though, I certainly don't think that 1x is for everyone - much like 29ers or single speeding. Some people can spin all day. Just do whatever works for you and what you ride.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 13/Dec/18 12:28pm

Another interesting thing. Climbing in higher gears forces you to keep weight more forward. I find a few technical climbs this makes the difference between making it up or not.

For me 22-36 low gear isn't much different in ratio to 42-30 on 1x. But 30-10 absolutely sucks as a top gear. I used to have 44-11, now I'm down to 40-11.

Sacrifices!
Dougal

Postby Toko on Fri 14/Dec/18 9:26pm

yeah. I like riding bikes. I would much rather ride to the trail than load up a car. And I like riding to get places. Riding a mountain bike on the road means that I can hit a wee trail on the way to somewhere else.

I think that means I need a front derailer, (and a decent top gear). bummer.

What about those gearbox bikes, have they started to take off?
Toko

Postby Dougal on Fri 28/Dec/18 5:23pm

Toko wrote:yeah. I like riding bikes. I would much rather ride to the trail than load up a car. And I like riding to get places. Riding a mountain bike on the road means that I can hit a wee trail on the way to somewhere else.

I think that means I need a front derailer, (and a decent top gear). bummer.

What about those gearbox bikes, have they started to take off?

I've had a few weeks on my new 3x10 Shimano setup after being on 1x11 SRAM for the majority of the last year.

The 3x is far smoother. The levers feel better, being able to change multiple gears in each direction is fantastic. The bike is quicker on the only trails I keep time on and I'm using the big ring probably 30-50% of the time.

The change also coincided with going from 170mm SRAM cranks to 175mm Shimano. The difference in these 5mm seems completely out of proportion. So much so that I have not used the granny gear on the 3x yet. Hills I was climbing in 30-42T with 170mm I am now climbing in 30-36T with 175mm.

Gearbox bikes have a lot more internal friction than chain and derailleur. Which is why they've not taken off for trail riding (fine for DH). I've had two customers build up new bikes recently with front derailleurs and they both went for Banshee frames.
Dougal

Postby Toko on Wed 9th Jan 8:57pm

reporting back...

9 speed derailer didn't work with 10 speed cassette, sorry Connors.

I'm not sure why. It was still rideable in the low and the high ends of the cassette, but in the middle it kept jumping cogs.

Bear in mind this was a 2007 vintage, xt derailer

So my friend lent me a 10 speed XTR mech to keep me going - sweet! I will have to buy a 10 speed derailer in the near future.

Apart from that problem, the cassette upgrade was a great success. At the start of the ride in Tokoroa I thought I would never need a gear that low (36 tooth) but a couple of hours in I was loving it. Same on our ride on the Waikato River Trail.

Good to hear you're loving 3x10, Dougal. Regarding crank length, I can't tell the difference between the 170 cranks on my singlespeed and the 175mm on my geared bike so it's interesting that you can. Shimano did 180mm cranks, do they still do that? I know that SRAM doesn't
Toko

Postby Conners on Thu 10th Jan 7:31am

That seems odd - wonder if it’s a B tension type adjustment that’s making it not work properly?

A proper bike mechanic may have advice on whether it is/isn’t should/shouldn’t work
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 11th Jan 4:47pm

Toko wrote:Good to hear you're loving 3x10, Dougal. Regarding crank length, I can't tell the difference between the 170 cranks on my singlespeed and the 175mm on my geared bike so it's interesting that you can. Shimano did 180mm cranks, do they still do that? I know that SRAM doesn't

Back in the day I think Shimano even did 177.5mm in some of their ranges as well as 180mm. I was always curious to try a set, but ultimately not curious enough to spend the coin.
Dougal

Cycling - Latest Posts