Postby Mel on Thu 2/Dec/04 9:13pm

[2c]
I have a theory about cable "stretch"... the cables get longer/looser because the individual strands that are twisted together to make up the cable get pulled taut, meaning that the cable reduces in cross section (the strands get tighter and the gaps/air voids between the strands become smaller), so we see the cable lengthening/getting loose as a result.

It's a combination of this and the housing being worn (maybe this is the greatest factor?), endcaps getting squished, etc that results in cable stretch.
[/2c]

:D
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Xman on Thu 2/Dec/04 9:53pm

Mel wrote:[2c]
I have a theory about cable "stretch"... the cables get longer/looser because the individual strands that are twisted together to make up the cable get pulled taut, meaning that the cable reduces in cross section (the strands get tighter and the gaps/air voids between the strands become smaller), so we see the cable lengthening/getting loose as a result.

It's a combination of this and the housing being worn (maybe this is the greatest factor?), endcaps getting squished, etc that results in cable stretch.
[/2c]

:D

Hmmm, perhaps this happens with brake inners, but not gear inner cable. I agree with the people above. Your outer effectively shrinks as things settle and wear.
Xman
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Stun on Thu 2/Dec/04 10:16pm

9 speed is fine.
Mr Gimp has valid points about scare mongering from riders who didn't want to change to 9 speed.

I heard the rumours too - and was hesitent about changing.
But have I suffered any poor shifting due to 9 speed?
No.

If you look after your 8 speed drivechain - it'll work well.
If you look after your 9 speed drivechain - it'll work well.

Difference is - you'll still be able to get the parts YOU WANT in 3 years time for 9 speed... but good luck finding an 8 speed XTR cassette with the ratio you prefer in 3 years time!!!

Stu.
P.S. I run XTR shifters / mechs (when I'm running a bike with a front mech), Sram PC99 chain, SRAM 9.0 cluster and an FSA chainring.
Can't even begin to fault it.
P.P.S. Having said that - I've ridden top end gear from both SRAM and Shimano in both 8 & 9 speed... that has worked like crap!
The difference was setup and maintenance!
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby mtbrat on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:12am

I loike it !!!

some initial tweaking was required and now the shifting is clean and precise

just like StuN says gear needs looking after
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Clarky on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:42am

I get about 10 to 12 races out of my 9 speed chain before the chain measurer says bin it.

My training bike is 8 speed, and gets all the rides at night, in the rain, mud and snow, and the epic rides too. The beauty is it lasts all Winter, and only costs $45 to replace the chain and cluster. :)
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby pissface on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:55am

Even discussions are retro fashion items these days :satan:
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby SlackBoy on Fri 3/Dec/04 7:38pm

Yeah Dougla, like that other dude I wanna know how when I replace the inner cable and not the outer cable I get "stretch" and need ot readjust my gears or brakes (barral adjust), and it's not just seating in again cos when I squit a bit o lube down ma cable to git a bit extra outa them (this only works for so long as people found on on QCW when shown my bike and rear brake). Please exlpain why this is dougal :satan: :satan:

and 9 speed might work and last well if you keep it clean, but what if you ride ghetto style. 8 speed is the shizzle
SlackBoy
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 3/Dec/04 7:58pm

SlackBoy wrote:Yeah Dougla, like that other dude I wanna know how when I replace the inner cable and not the outer cable I get "stretch" and need ot readjust my gears or brakes (barral adjust), and it's not just seating in again cos when I squit a bit o lube down ma cable to git a bit extra outa them (this only works for so long as people found on on QCW when shown my bike and rear brake). Please exlpain why this is dougal :satan: :satan:

and 9 speed might work and last well if you keep it clean, but what if you ride ghetto style. 8 speed is the shizzle

I dunno how you do it. But when I replace a wire I usually pull it out sideways to try and overtension it. This seats it in nicely and it normally doesn't need readjustment anytime soon.
Dougal

Postby Kyle on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:01pm

Come on people lets turn this into another flats vs's clips arguement. :satan:
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:02pm

Kyle wrote:Come on people lets turn this into another flats vs's clips arguement. :satan:

Oh, Oh, can we? :)
Dougal

Postby Percy Pig on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:03pm

SlackBoy wrote:I agree with sea monkey
Ever notice that how when ever you go into mud your shit fills up faster than it used back in the day of 7 speed.
22 32 is a stupid gear, it's a pansy gear and made for woofters by woofters. 28 28 is the lowest you should need, all hill can be climbed in this. Haven't you all wondered why everyone isn't half as hard as the old skool riders once where. All these ultra low gears are making you soft, you nancys!!!!
Hell back in the dy we used to sail up the climbs on karapoti with 28 28 and toeclips, now half the people can't make it up with 22 32 and spd's, it's soft i say soft!!!

Bring back 7 speed rear clusters, thumb shifters that work for ever and in 50 foot of mud

:baaa:

Luddite.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Fri 3/Dec/04 8:21pm

My experience suggests I am going to wear out the 9 speed chain and rear cluster quicker than I did the 8 speed. Nothing scientific , riding the same trails, doing the same amount of maintenance...
PhilterNZ
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 3/Dec/04 9:01pm

PhilterNZ wrote:My experience suggests I am going to wear out the 9 speed chain and rear cluster quicker than I did the 8 speed. Nothing scientific , riding the same trails, doing the same amount of maintenance...

I've got the same feeling. But I run cheap chains and casettes and run them till they're dead anyway. :satan:
I don't cry about the demise of high end 8sp stuff, I think it's a great thing that it's getting cheaper and cheaper.
Dougal

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts