Source For 29er Full Sus Frame

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 12:50pm

I am looking at 29er full sus frames. Well trying to look anyway, I am having difficulty finding any. Google just threw up fully built bikes for the last half hour and my favourite shops don't have much.

I ride a hardtail 29er at the moment, just thought about taking what bits I can off that and putting them on a new boingy frame. With some new shiny stuff of course.

Anyone know where to look?
cbfb
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Re: Source For 29er Full Sus Frame

Postby foremannz on Fri 28/Feb/14 12:58pm

What about a Santa Cruz, Ibis or Transition? My preference would be the Santa Cruz Tallboy in 29er
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Feb/14 1:10pm

Buy a complete, swap out your favourite bits from current bike, sell old bike as complete.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 1:27pm

foremannz wrote:What about a Santa Cruz, Ibis or Transition? My preference would be the Santa Cruz Tallboy in 29er

Some very nice gear there, couldn't find prices for frames only but possibly A bit over budget

I was thinking of going 100mm as I only ride xc... sorry should have put that in original thread... my current forks are 100mm. just looking to get a reasonable xc bike to keep fit on at the local mtb park. prob want to go alloy rather than carbon i have a carbon road bike and just feel i would be paranoid about it (i tend to crash fairly frequently due to poor skill/ability awareness)

Not really too sure of budget, just trying to get an idea at the moment. $4k is probably a bit steep, my riding would never use more than 30% of that one's potential. Gorgeous bit of kit though.

Velocipedestrian wrote:Buy a complete, swap out your favourite bits from current bike, sell old bike as complete.

Will look into this option. Am trying to compare frame prices but struggling to find anything suitable. Only problem could be compatibility of parts. Also some bits I want to get rid of, especially crappy Tektro disk brakes (mechanical) that don't work for example
cbfb

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 28/Feb/14 2:07pm

Tallboy 2 alloy frame for $2600
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Feb/14 2:25pm

cbfb wrote:Also some bits I want to get rid of, especially crappy Tektro disk brakes (mechanical) that don't work for example

All the more reason to buy a complete.
Velocipedestrian

Postby G on Fri 28/Feb/14 2:57pm

Go and see Kashi and the lads for one of these
http://www.bikeotago.co.nz/collections/ ... rhead-130x

freakin amazing bike, there's several rolling the trails of Dunedin...Kashi's got a couple of demo bikes to try out too
G
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 3:34pm

shmoodiver wrote:Tallboy 2 alloy frame for $2600

Nice :)

Velocipedestrian wrote:
cbfb wrote:Also some bits I want to get rid of, especially crappy Tektro disk brakes (mechanical) that don't work for example

All the more reason to buy a complete.

I agree this is a sensible option. Might have left it there if I hadn't seen G's post

G wrote:Go and see Kashi and the lads for one of these
http://www.bikeotago.co.nz/collections/ ... rhead-130x

freakin amazing bike, there's several rolling the trails of Dunedin...Kashi's got a couple of demo bikes to try out too

Wow that looks really quite sexual and I can't believe what it's selling for... $1899 frame fork & headset... Pretty much good to go and upgrade the other bits later when I can afford it. For the price that is pretty fooking impressive.

Have you had a crack on one? Would they be suited to xc riding with a mix of steep climbs / flat? Seems a lot of travel for that kind of thing but I haven't been paying attention in recent years, maybe it's the norm now?
cbfb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Feb/14 3:59pm

Great deal, might be a bit more trail/AM/enduro/buzzword than XC, but unless you're racing a bit more weight/travel won't hurt.

Could feel wrong with a 100mm fork (your post says frame/fork/headset, I suspect it's frame/shock/headset BYO fork).
Designed for a 140mm fork...
Velocipedestrian

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 4:02pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Great deal, might be a bit more trail/AM/enduro/buzzword than XC, but unless you're racing a bit more weight/travel won't hurt.

Could feel wrong with a 100mm fork (your post says frame/fork/headset, I suspect it's frame/shock/headset BYO fork).
Designed for a 140mm fork...

Nah I am carrying enough excess baggage anyway we won't be winning any races

Well that is what I was thinking but from what the website says they're pretty much giving them away:

FRAME, FORK & HEADSET

Hammerhead 130x frame

2013 Fox CTD Kashima rear shock

2014 Fox CTD Kashima 140mm fork (or Rock Shox Pike Single Air)

Cane Creek Headset

http://www.bikeotago.co.nz/collections/front-page/products/hammerhead-130x
cbfb

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 4:07pm

p.s. agree wouldn't put the 100mm fork on there
cbfb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 28/Feb/14 4:08pm

Mean, get the Pike.

Do eet.
Velocipedestrian

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 4:23pm

Dammmmit I wish i hadn't been so slack selling my truck gotta get a move on now fixing it up!!!

Still trying to see what the catch is :paranoid:
cbfb

Postby cbfb on Fri 28/Feb/14 4:30pm

Another thought, my current bike is running 3 x 8spd setup.

Would I be better sticking to this for economy or changing to a 2 x 10 setup?

Just looking at what I could reuse
cbfb

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts