Re: Some Drivers... Sorry, Just Gotta Vent A Bit

Postby 1scotty1 on Mon 7/Nov/11 7:55am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
happybaboon wrote:The police report site doesn't accomplish fucking anything anyway. Giving her an earful probably did far more good than those harmless letters (which I don't even think they bother to send) ever will.

The letters DO go to the registered owner.
Let's prove it. Give me your car details and I'll get one sent to you.

Those letters are crap. Ive received one. Its all "alleged" through the letter and within the first 2 paragraphs tell you that they cant take any action so you stop taking it seriously from thereon. i think mine is still on the noticeboard at work.
Last edited by 1scotty1 on Mon 7/Nov/11 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.
1scotty1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby briiii on Mon 7/Nov/11 8:40am

Also, the likelihood that the person driving the car is currently listed as the registered owner of that vehicle and lives at the registered address is pretty slim. Plus most people won't even remember the incident if you didn't give them an earful at the time, so it's a letter about something they don't remember anyway.
briiii
"I'm a bikesexual"
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 7/Nov/11 8:50am

kinda like a speed camera ticket ( but without the fine)
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 7/Nov/11 9:05am

briiii wrote:Also, the likelihood that the person driving the car is currently listed as the registered owner of that vehicle and lives at the registered address is pretty slim. Plus most people won't even remember the incident if you didn't give them an earful at the time, so it's a letter about something they don't remember anyway.

Think about the people you know. Most of them who own drive cars are the registered owners of those cars.
If it's a work car the managers are very interested (according to all the managers I've rung up) about how their workers are using the company vehicles.

Who says they won't remember a driving incident?

The Roadwatch letter are well worth doing :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby 1scotty1 on Mon 7/Nov/11 9:37am

This is what you get:

Dear Sir/Madam

Records indicate that you are the owner of a ?????.

On Saturday, ??? your vehicle was seen ??? at ?????. Evasive action was taken by pedestrians. This incident took place at about 1 :15 PM and has been reported to the police by way of the Community Roadwatch program.
You may not have been the driver at the time and even if you were you may feel that the driving was not in any way risky. However another person was sufficiently alarmed by the driving to report the matter to the Police. The other person's perception was that the way your vehicle was driven at that time was not safe.
If you were not the driver at the time, we would ask that you bring this matter to the driver's
attention.

Yours sincerely,
??????
Officer in Charge: Police Infringement Bureau
Safer Communities Together
NEW ZEALAND POLICE COMMUNITY WATCH PROGRAMME, PO BOX 9147, WELLINGTON

Scary eh!
My employer wasnt too concerned about my driving at the time. In my case it was a subcontractor setting me up for a laugh. The letter took about 6 weeks to get to me following the complaint so was hardly fresh in my mind.
The letters really only make the complainant feel good and allows them to have a vent. The Police dont know what happened, they dont know who did it and cant do a thing about it. the offences are minor and if they were serious the complainant would have taken other courses of action.
1scotty1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 7/Nov/11 9:53am

If you try and make a proper complaint in Palmy they hand you a paper version of the community roadwatch form. Then when you complain they roll their eyes and take your number to "get back to you" and never do.
happybaboon
User avatarMedal
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts