Re: Sociological Analysis Of Christchurch

Postby handy-andy on Mon 21/Sep/09 9:20am

I would argue that Chch is no worse than any other place, but because I live here, as Newbold states I’m too insular, inward looking, and paranoid about Auckland to see myself properly in relation to the rest of the country. It is clear that Chch residents aren’t invited to defend themselves. Presumably the only people qualified to judge are people who don’t live in Chch, or people who lived here briefly and then moved away :blink:

It’s an irritating tactic to use in any argument – for example I might say “I’m not racist”, but that’s just the kind of thing a racist person would say, isn’t it? :hmmm:

For the record, someone who doesn’t want to have a drink with you after working alongside you for eighteen months is either socially retarded, or just doesn’t like you. It’s hardly a good litmus test for *insert placename here* residents as a whole.
handy-andy
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Stun on Mon 21/Sep/09 11:46am

scatter wrote:Heathcote for the drunks and old ladies

What one does Slim fall under?
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Stun on Mon 21/Sep/09 11:47am

handy-andy wrote:I would argue that Chch is no worse than any other place, but because I live here, as Newbold states I’m too insular, inward looking, and paranoid about Auckland to see myself properly in relation to the rest of the country. It is clear that Chch residents aren’t invited to defend themselves. Presumably the only people qualified to judge are people who don’t live in Chch, or people who lived here briefly and then moved away :blink:

It’s an irritating tactic to use in any argument – for example I might say “I’m not racist”, but that’s just the kind of thing a racist person would say, isn’t it? :hmmm:

For the record, someone who doesn’t want to have a drink with you after working alongside you for eighteen months is either socially retarded, or just doesn’t like you. It’s hardly a good litmus test for *insert placename here* residents as a whole.

Stop it with your logic!
That sort of thinking lacks the... um... lack of sociological perspective that sociologists like Newbold detest!
Stun

Postby Kazmeistyr on Mon 21/Sep/09 12:31pm

CHCH - One big unhappy trailer park.
Kazmeistyr
"has the power of Greyskull"
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:25pm

i reckon the city's flatness has a fair bit to do with it... in welly, dorkland and dunners, most people live on a hill, and/or have some view, whether it be from their house or on their way about the place. these views put you and your location in perspective, whereas unless you're rich(ish) and live on one of the hills in chch, or arent so rich and live near the hills (and similar goes for palmy, the 'tron and invergiggle) most of the residential land is on the flat. so all people see out their windows is their neighbours, and the same streets, day in day out. nice bit of sky now and then, and occasional peeks at the hills, but predominantly the same views over and over and over. now, i reckon, all this 'same old, same old' affects the average (or below average) chch resident, leading to a kinda boredom and narrowmindedness that results in the social misfittedness these guys are talking about.

i'm a chch resident and i'm from here too (but i've travelled and lived elsewhere a fairbit). so like handy (above) probably shouldnt be speaking on the matter cos i'm too insular, narrowminded, inbred and paranoid of DORKland...

trailer park? nz doesnt know the meaning of trailerparks (see florida). we've got our fair share of whitetrash, but we aint got no trailers...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Stun on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:30pm

You know what?
I don't think living in a flat city will cause the issues being put forward by Newbold...
You could argue that those living in a hilly city may just get less sun during certain parts of the year, and in turn suffer from depression.
The only thing that a flat city with a grid system for its roads / one-ways means... is that visitors get lost quite a bit.
Until they learn to navigate off the Port Hills, or indeed learn their way around.
Stun

Postby scatter on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:32pm

Stun wrote:Until they learn to navigate off the Port Hills, or indeed learn their way around.

Concur.
If I'm on the north side of town, I just navigate home by pointing myself at the Sugarloaf. If I'm at home trying to find my way north though..... :huh:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

Postby radiusq on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:43pm

scatter wrote:
Stun wrote:Until they learn to navigate off the Port Hills, or indeed learn their way around.

Concur.
If I'm on the north side of town, I just navigate home by pointing myself at the Sugarloaf. If I'm at home trying to find my way north though..... :huh:

Heh, I suspect that a lot of Christchurch folk don't have a problem heading South when facing the hills, but North, East and West on the other hand.... ;)
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Stun on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:45pm

Those peoples should buy GPS.
I mean, what are they thinking... trying to navigate in a direction other than South.
Pfffft.
Stun

Postby Paul_Bags on Tue 24/Nov/09 7:36am

Tama wrote:Crikey, Mr Newbold is a brave man;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2883013 ... arden-City wrote:Rather than the strong networks of "successful organised criminals" which characterised the underbelly in other centres, Christchurch's criminal class was "a rabble of junkies and small-time petty crims". "They're more junkies than dealers," he says. "You haven't got that big-time professional criminal down here. Very few have any money; they're not the same calibre."
"Christchurch doesn't generate its own product. I used to be able to fly down here from Auckland, sell a pound of marijuana in bulk, fly back and still make a profit," said Newbold, who served a prison term for drug offending prior to his academic career.

So, he doesn't like Christchurch because theres a lack of organized crime? Colour me insular but isn't that a good thing?
Paul_Bags
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Nov/09 12:10pm

and when was he 'flying down from Auckland'? bloody 30 or 40 years ago or so! times have changed a little since then, newbold.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 24/Nov/09 4:06pm

radiusq wrote:
scatter wrote:

Concur.

Heh, I suspect that a lot of Christchurch folk don't have a problem heading South when facing the hills, but North, East and West on the other hand.... ;)

When I was young my family used to drive up to Chch in the VW Beetle (the one I still own :) ) holidays to stay with family. Mum and dad could make it to aunties / uncle’s easy enough but going anywhere else seemed to be a drag…of course they could’ve made better use of the map…. :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 24/Nov/09 7:59pm

Newbold is wrong, Chch is evil because of the Hellmouth in Opawa, simple, certainly explains all the soul-less zombies, bloodsucking demons and anaenic virgins...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 24/Nov/09 9:31pm

CrustyMTB wrote:Newbold is wrong, Chch is evil because of the Hellmouth in Opawa, simple, certainly explains all the soul-less zombies, bloodsucking demons and anaenic virgins...

is that at the Steiner School?? :p :D :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby Mat_the_w on Tue 24/Nov/09 10:49pm

Don't you be dissing my suburb! :angry:
At least we are on the 'right' side of the train tracks...although id agree...the pedigree of people you see streaming outa that particular school is...interesting to say the least...
Mat_the_w
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Crime | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts