Re: Sociological Analysis Of Christchurch

Postby nostromo on Sun 20/Sep/09 10:55am

One recurring theme I'd noticed about ChCh is the importance placed on the school that you went to. As in that being a tag that indicated where you fitted in the social structure.
Yep its little England but without the funny people.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Sun 20/Sep/09 11:01am

I'm one those 'imports' - came to Chch and never left. Not because I was imprisoned and then stayed cause I couldnt be arsed moving on, but because through kayaking and other outdoor activities I met people who then became the core of my social world - a mixture of Chch natives and other imports - including as it turned out my partner.

At the end of the day who gives a rats - you choose to live where ya live for a whole variety of reasons - I was born in Hamilton (cue jokes) lived my younger years in Palmy North (cue more jokes) then ended up in Chch (same again)...... maybe my life quest is to live in a place no-one makes fun of :( (breaks down sobbing)

And by the way sociologists know shit so I'm with the general tenor of the article - what place doesn't have it's share of cliques, prejudices & nutjobs anyway ??!!
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Stun on Sun 20/Sep/09 11:45am

I took a few of Greg Newbold's classes at Uni...
He has an agenda and he really wants to push it out there. He see's himself as a crusader for the good honest working criminal.
Which... he see's himself as being.
He had pictures of his car being snapped by speed cameras up in his office as a badge of pride. I thought he was a dickhead, but at the same time I found him a lot easier to talk to than a lot of other lecturers... many of whom see their brain as far more important than anything / anyone else. Their bodies being merely a device to move their brain from one lecture to another.

I did notice an insular nature within the people of Christchurch.
However no one asked me what school I went too... until I moved to Dunners!
I notice an insular nature within the residents to a greater extent in Dunedin. Sure some kids head away on their OE, but they mostly return to have babies / settle down. A lot of the residents have 'escaped' their home towns of Balclutha, Gore, Invercargill, Milton etc, and see Dunedin as the 'big smoke'.
Perspective I suppose.
Dunedin is the town where 'someone' slaughtered the Bain family, just a few k's away from where David Grey went psycho on the residents of an idyllic seaside town...
It has its fair share of nut jobs, and without the annual influx of students (and their ensuing petty drunken crime) it would probably be a mere dot on the map.
I think a lot of the crime is related to the lack of sunlight in winter (some less desirable locations see stuff all sun due to the surrounding hills)... Christchurch suffers crime for a different reason, and I agree with the article on some of those reasons. Heck when I was a student my bus used to go past Sunnyside... with other patients on board from Rolleston.

...I started riding my bike. :blink:
Stun
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Stun on Sun 20/Sep/09 11:46am

happybaboon wrote:Was anyone else surprised that it's only been "(three women and a man have been found dead in the city's waterways in as many years)." I thought way more... Seems like it's every other week that they kill a hooker and toss her in the river.

Maybe they weren't counting those who were dumped only on the river banks? :eh:

To be fair, the only people I know who count Christchurch 'river bodies' are on this website...
I think you may be 'hoping' for some more to make your 'joke' carry some weight, but I'm picking you're a little biased eh? :sly:
Stun

Postby radiusq on Sun 20/Sep/09 11:55am

Christchurch is an odd place. I've lived here for nearly 2 years. I don't know if I've been fooled by media hype, but it does at least feel like there are plenty of psychos around. I've seen random acts of aggression on the streets which is something I've not seen elsewhere in new NZ and reminds me a bit of London. It seems very odd to see that behavior in such a small city.

Crime by and large is caused by poverty. Period. There's both large amounts of wealth and poverty here. I think the fact that the inner suburbs are some of it's poorest gives the center city it's rough feel.

I also suspect that a lot of the roughness that I sense in the city comes from poor rural folk from remote areas of the south island coming into the city in search of work. I doubt that there are that many resettled families of convicts staying in city. I understand that heroin is available in Christchurch, which I find surprising. AFAIK it doesn't existing in Auckland.

Still, by and large I feel safe walking around the city at any time. That's not something that I could always say about London.
Last edited by radiusq on Sun 20/Sep/09 12:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Stun on Sun 20/Sep/09 12:14pm

Dude there's heroin in Dunedin... there's heroin everywhere.
Trust me - if it's in the South island, it'll be in Auckland too.
That's if the people who used to push it there have found P more profitable and moved on to pushing that...

Maybe Chch drug pushers and junkies are just behind the times?

Edit:
If you're worried about falling for media hype, then you've already fallen for it.
And remember, 'media hype' comes from a multitude of sources, one of those sources are posters on this website. :)
Stun

Postby radiusq on Sun 20/Sep/09 12:49pm

Stun wrote:If you're worried about falling for media hype, then you've already fallen for it.
And remember, 'media hype' comes from a multitude of sources, one of those sources are posters on this website. :)

To be honest, crime is not something I worry about it. I didn't worry about it in London, and I'd worry about it less here, if I were the worrying kind that is.

I do think there is a slightly odd flavour in the air, and those strange violent crimes add this aura.

In London drugs are a major problem. I've read that 60%^of all crime in London is committed to finance crack or heroin habits. As vorbers we should do our best to keep crack in particular off the streets. As Whitney Houston once said, crack is whack. We should promote this message.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"

Postby Wobbler on Sun 20/Sep/09 5:25pm

The odd hooker does not worry me in the least, at least chch isnt full of kid bashers like we keep hearing about from the north island, one a fortnight seems to be the norm.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby DropKick on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:00pm

I feel safer walking down a chch street than welly :eh:

though I dont like welly, especially since the day I got yelled at by a homeless man while walking down the street.

I like chch, ever since the day back in Nats roadtrip 05 when shouting "show us yer tits" out of a moving 1980's honda civic yielded the intended result, I've thought its fantastic :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Bling on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:07pm

Typical sociological analysis, no statistics, no facts - just a big ego with an opinion. Wats the evidence show about the republic of christchurch........... :( it and south auckland share some commonalities in certain stats........especially the crime ones!
Bling
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:35pm

The insular bit makes me smile a bit, we moved here about 6 years ago from Invercargill/Dunedin and bought a house / settled down - we had mates that had moved here as well, and see them a fair bit - as well as family of course.
The thing is, I think I have made friends with about 10 chchians that were born and bred here - I find it hugely embarrassing that now after all these years - I find myself ignoring txts and calls to go have fun with them, and now have turned into one of those people that has to be dragged into a social gathering!?
I am now INSULAR!!

I think at my age (and probably a few people of the same age that find chch insular), early 30's with a new baby its one of those things - friends kind of take a backburner to everything else - pleasantries aside its hard work keeping up a friendship.
Cycling is a lovely solo thing I can do without organizing anyone else - riding with others is nice, but gobbles my time when they are late to meet etc and talking while pedaling isn't my favorite pastime , my 4X4ing friends txt me relentlessly with pictures of places they are having fun , I never go bashing by myself obviously - way too dangerous - but even finding time for fourwheeling is getting tough.

The violence bit is 100% true to the media, we were here 3 weeks and saw a guy stabbed in the street in front of us.
There is an underlying hatred here of something, blame the Nor'Wester or whatever - but there is something here that makes people angry.
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:55pm

everything gets a little silly when the nor'westers roll in
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby j2hyde on Sun 20/Sep/09 8:23pm

I like Christchurch, even though I agree that the whole "what school did you go to" mindset is boring and inbred.

However people that think the city in general is weird or dysfunctional obviously don't get out much. There are some pretty fucked up places in this world and Christchurch doesn't even come close to rating on the global fucked-up-ometer.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."

Postby MikeD on Mon 21/Sep/09 1:52am

Didn't E-Dogg do a scatological anal-ysis of Christchurch once?
MikeD

Postby scatter on Mon 21/Sep/09 8:43am

Stun wrote:To be fair, the only people I know who count Christchurch 'river bodies' are on this website...

:lol:

Avon for the hookers
Heathcote for the drunks and old ladies
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Crime | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts