Soccer World Cup

Postby mfw on Sat 3/May/14 11:05am

Last edited by mfw on Fri 20/Jun/14 8:08am, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Vfr For Soccer World Cup?

Postby Conners on Sat 3/May/14 11:19am

You mean football?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby mfw on Sat 3/May/14 11:30am

Conners wrote:You mean football?

:lol:
Yes, but as a brit in NZ I have got used to translating...

Cool new goal line technology
ball.jpg
mfw

Postby Conners on Sat 3/May/14 11:54am

:D
All good - I was just being facetious.

Not sure how they'll keep the air in the ball after they've cut it in half though?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Kev on Sat 3/May/14 12:14pm

It should technically be do-able although it might be a little messy because team strength and team size won't be relevant.

Here's my initial thoughts (that may have been influenced by other websites)

There are 32 teams. Everyone picks 16 teams to go through to the 2nd round, 8 to the quarterfinals, 4 to the semis, 2 to the final and one for the win. In theory the later picks should be a subset of the earlier but I'm not sure there's an easy way to enforce that

Group Stage - 1 point per correct pick
2nd round - 2 points per correct pick
Quarterfinals - 4 points per correct pick
Semifinals - 8 points per correct pick
Finals - 32 points for correct pick

If at least a half dozen people say they would play, I'll see if I can code something up.
Kev
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby noel_whiteside on Sat 3/May/14 9:29pm

I'll play

16 teams to go through to the 2nd round. Brazil, Croatia, Spain, Netherlands, Colombia, Cote d'Ivoire, Uruguay, Italy, Switzerland, France, Argentina, Nigeria, Germany, Ghana, Belgium, Russia.
8 teams to go through to the Quarter finals. Spain, Italy, Nigeria, Germany, Netherlands, Uruguay, Argentina, Ghana.
4 teams to go through to the Semi Finals. Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina.
2 teams to the final. Germany and Argentina, Germany to win 3-1 after extra time.

I've just had a thought. Will the final be play on Monday, New Zealand time. I might have to book a day of work.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby mbl77 on Sun 4/May/14 8:05pm

Soccer? That game where players dive randomly when someone approaches too closely?
mbl77
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Postby mfw on Fri 20/Jun/14 8:10am

noel_whiteside wrote:I'll play

16 teams to go through to the 2nd round. Brazil, Croatia, Spain, Netherlands, Colombia, Cote d'Ivoire, Uruguay, Italy, Switzerland, France, Argentina, Nigeria, Germany, Ghana, Belgium, Russia.
8 teams to go through to the Quarter finals. Spain, Italy, Nigeria, Germany, Netherlands, Uruguay, Argentina, Ghana.
4 teams to go through to the Semi Finals. Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina.
2 teams to the final. Germany and Argentina, Germany to win 3-1 after extra time.

I've just had a thought. Will the final be play on Monday, New Zealand time. I might have to book a day of work.

What no England in 2nd round!? You might be right :(
mfw

Sifting - Latest Posts