Smartphone Question

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Dec/10 8:37pm

Howdy,

I want smartphone. Will be spending a lot of time away from home/civilization/whatever next year and I'd like to stay connected. Pretty much worked out that I want a decent android phone, and almost certainly on 2degrees.

Looks like the Ideos and the LG optimus are the two options which may work. Anyone have any experience with either? Or any other reccomendations?

I want android, as opposed to whatever is on nokia phones. And I don't want an iPhone as I am somewhat intelligent and also I am a heterosexual.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Re: Smartphone Question

Postby JUANGEAR on Sun 19/Dec/10 8:42pm

will having a smartphone help you to come out of the closet?
JUANGEAR
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Dec/10 8:49pm

I could use it like a torch which might help me find the door if it's dark in there :eh:
happybaboon

Postby toominator on Sun 19/Dec/10 8:57pm

Thinking that someone would be homosexual because of their choice of phone sounds pretty gay to me :sneaky:

But seriously, a $300 phone isn't comparable to a $1300 phone. Doesn't have to be compared to an iPhone, could be any high end smart phone like some of the HTC ones etc. So don't buy an entry level one expecting great things from it and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Probably the biggest thing to look for in entry level ones is the quality of the touch screen (stay away from resistive screens)
toominator
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:00pm

Yeah, don't buy a Iphone until you become gay...

I owned a LG GR500F, and I hated it, I can't remember if it was android, but it was terrible, now I have a Samsung Galaxy S i9000T,
which is android, I got it for 600$, and it's been great, really easy to use, good GPS system, reasonable camera, would absolutely recomend it.
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:02pm

Fucking homophobes.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:06pm

kona.stinky. wrote:Yeah, don't buy a Iphone until you become gay...

I owned a LG GR500F, and I hated it, I can't remember if it was android, but it was terrible, now I have a Samsung Galaxy S i9000T,
which is android, I got it for 600$, and it's been great, really easy to use, good GPS system, reasonable camera, would absolutely recomend it.

Did that LG have a keypad? It's a touchscreen one I'm looking at.

And both the ideos and the LG are capacitive, and allegedly pretty good with the touchy thing. Both get decent reviews, aside from how they don't do Flash... But I can deal, I think. Especially as they do XviD and I the thing I'm most likely to want to do media-wise is download video to it.
happybaboon

Postby kona.stinky. on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:10pm

Yeah,I don't think it was the exact model of the GR500F, but it was very similar, and it didn't have a keypad, full touchscreen apart from three keys at the bottom, it was and average phone, just I hated the quality of the touchscreen, it was somewhat delayed when you try to type, which becomes very frustrating if you type fast.
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby happybaboon on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:13pm

Hmmm, I'll go and see if I can give both phones a try. I can see a delayed response pissing me off...

None of the reviews mention it though. They're all running the latest android now, so things might be a bit different. Who knows.
happybaboon

Postby wuffy on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:14pm

Oli wrote:Fucking homophobes.

Fucking homopohobophobes :angry:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby kona.stinky. on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:15pm

happybaboon wrote:Hmmm, I'll go and see if I can give both phones a try. I can see a delayed response pissing me off...

None of the reviews mention it though. They're all running the latest android now, so things might be a bit different. Who knows.

The LG I had I brought at the start of this year, so they probably updated the OS since then.
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby kona.stinky. on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:17pm

wuffy wrote:
Oli wrote:Fucking homophobes.

Fucking homopohobophobes :angry:

Fucking Homo-bobo-phobo-nebobo-insolo-phinolo-hotdog-phobics. :angry:
kona.stinky.
"Si"

Postby phunk on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:19pm

I have an LG Optimus 7Q and love it, but it runs Windows Phone 7.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby znomit on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:31pm

happybaboon wrote:I could use it like a torch which might help me find the door if it's dark in there :eh:

Sounds like you're so far in the closet you won't be able to see the door even with a light. Any phone with a mapping app and compass will be useful.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Spyder on Sun 19/Dec/10 9:41pm

I had an HTC Touch 2 (XT) at the last job and it was OK. Have now got a Samsung Galaxy 580. It's still running Android 2.1 but is quite good.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts