Small Table Top Jumps To Learn On In Christchurch?

Postby Spannerswatson on Fri 19/Aug/16 5:54pm

I'm an intermediate level mountain biker who has never learned to jump mountain bikes correctly. I'm not looking to become a pro dirt jumper, I just want to be comfortable hitting small jumps during my general trail riding. I've heard people talking about how small table-top jumps are the best feature to learn jumping on and was wondering if any Christchurch riders could recommend a good spot with a small table-top appropriate for learning basic jumping technique?

Many thanks!
Spannerswatson
Member for: 1 year 2 months

Re: Small Table Top Jumps To Learn On In Christchurch?

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 20/Aug/16 8:30am

Not much of a jumper myself, gaps always put me off, but tables and general drops are fine... i saw this and thought of a couple places you might get started...
Brake Free, up next to the rabbit paddock top of Vic Park.
A couple of wee trails in the private land bit on the 'True Left' of Worsleys (ie, on your left as you're going down), One called Braille, the other further down (pm'd you some deets... - best not to chuck full details on public forum and all that... ;) )
or, alternatively, try some of the pump tracks around town or the bmx track at Bromley.
OH, and the trail on Huntsbury has some good jumps, including an easy-as gap right at the bottom. Its on your right as you head up the first dirt sections of Huntsbury Track. You'll see it, just follow it up to the top jump, turn around and session!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Mon 22/Aug/16 12:51pm

Theres also three or four tabletops of varying sizes at the bottom of Gum trees, That's where I practise

Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 22/Aug/16 5:47pm

Keep in mind that the jumps Rik mentioned are absolutely terrible. I don't know how they made small low step-down tables feel sketch, but they just don't feel right to me. And the biggest one is sketchy as fuck at the moment with a big hole in it, felt like hitting a judderbar too fast in a car.
Braille's jumps are very easy for the size, but if you're looking for jumping 101 then most will be too big for you. There might be three four you could do with very little jumping experience, but they're not tables.
The track below braille is very jibby and awkward, not really the best to learn on but there might be a couple jumps there you could have fun on in isolation. It's a more awkward version of "rad to the power of sick".
The last (or second to last maybe?) jump in the pop-n-fresh four-pack is very steep, but it's tabled and quite short so it's quite good to learn on. The steepness can be intimidating and it's not very applicable to "normal" trail bike jumps though.

We don't have any good learner jump trails unfortunately. Take a trip up to rotorua and hit the shuttle bus in the redwoods. One trip was enough to teach my mate to jump.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 23/Aug/16 7:27am

Actually, yeah, when Rik mentioned those jumps above the skidder site I thought I should comment... A couple weeks ago we were up there and there was a guy lying there waiting for the ambulance, he'd broken something, ankle or shoulder, cant remember. In fact, you often arrive there and find someone groaning...

and a few years ago a good friend of mine faceplanted there, giving herself a nasty head injury, several days in an induced coma, weeks in the brain injury ward at Burwood, just about a year off work, total change in career, not to mention the broken ribs, shoulder, and punctured lung... Ever since then, I've treated them with much caution.

Re Braille and the other one, I was just thinking a few of the jumps, not all. Hell, I wouldn't touch half of the ones in Braille... gaaapsss..... :crazy:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Tue 23/Aug/16 10:11am

Hey let me put this into perspective, I'm no pro jumper, in fact I'd struggle to get an inch of air, which is possibly why I have had no issues with those jumps.

But I would have thought if you want to build up confidence to be able to hit jumps out on the trails. That you need to learn how your bike reacts to different kinds of jumps, sketchy to immaculately transitioned. Start small and learn how your bike reacts to different take-offs so you can read a take-off and know what to do before if pitches you into a nose dive of doom.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 23/Aug/16 11:57am

Yeah, generally though you learn faster and have fewer problems when stuff isn't making it difficult for you. I learned to jump on shit jumps, and within 3 days I was out for a year with a fucked up shoulder. My friend learned to jump on good jumps and within 3 days was killing it.

The b-line jumps (what i've always called them?) are fine to roll over, fine to hit slow, fine to hit at medium pace really. but they're a poor shape for hitting at the speed you'd want to land on the actual transition part of the landing, which is actually quite far away because the case pad takes so long to fade into the landing. They've been a poor shape since I started riding there, and haven't really gotten any better despite multiple rebuilds.

Paired with the surface, the exposure, and the lack of drainage across the giant case pad/landing making cross-ruts, means that if you're nose heavy from the weird kicker shape then the landing isn't going to make it easy for you to ride it out.

Landing on the top is a bad habit - if you're not landing on a concave landing then the bike wants to bounce. You land, load up the suspension and tires, then unload again which can ping you off into odd directions if you haven't landed quite right, followed by a period of reduced/zero grip as you bounce.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby sweep on Tue 23/Aug/16 3:12pm

Huntsbury is a good place to practice jumps. There are different types of jumps and not many rocks if you get it wrong, mainly just grass and tussock.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby sjb on Thu 25/Aug/16 11:45am

I only started jumping about a year ago when I got a new bike that feels amazingly comfortable/ confident in the air.

I started on the texaco jumps at bottom of ponos. I know they are not table tops as they have a small gap at the start but I started jumping of to the side on the first jump until confident I could clear the gap on the first one. once confidence was good on the first one and clearing it easy it was a case of letting go and hitting the second one. the second one has the table top landing and loads of room to clear the gap. i then took this and made sure I rode all the jumps/ features on flying nun.

its also quiet down that side of vic park so you can practice without looking a fool and its an easy ride up to the corner to take another run at them. Ponos also has a few good jumps/ drops to tick off once the jumping feels good.

Rotorua was mentioned above - have just come back from riding Sticky forest in Wanaka. the jumps in there are amazing. loads of really good intermediate/advanced jumps that aren't as intimidating as a lot of the the ones in vic park seem to be. kind of a scaled down version of brailes. i was hitting gaps that i would never have dreamed of doing before so now feeling like i should have another crack at brailles as i've only done about half the jumps in there. definitely worth a visit if you want to up your confidence; worked for me anyway.
sjb
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts