Re: Small Frame Size 29ers

Postby Tinkerbell on Wed 22/Feb/12 5:35pm

deal (I'm guessing you won't be coming down the weekend of the 6hr Enduro in Q'town)
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby Butch on Wed 22/Feb/12 9:14pm

Tinkerbell wrote:I'm going to test ride a Trek Mamba this arvo, am 5ft 3. Will let you know what I think.

Wait a sec.. so you now ride a black mamba?

...giggity

:cool:
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Postby jo on Thu 23/Feb/12 10:31am

Tinkerbell wrote:deal (I'm guessing you won't be coming down the weekend of the 6hr Enduro in Q'town)

Oh, but I am! :D
Imma gonna come down on the Thurs of that week hang in chch, come to Qtown for the weekend, go home sunday.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Cabin on Thu 23/Feb/12 12:24pm

swtchbckr wrote:Santa Cruz's latest newsletter was bleating about how theirs (highball and new Superlight29r)are the lowest standover of any of 29rs...

Standover not usually the issue. Top tube length, and also bar height (so headtube length) are the main fit difficulties for the vertically challenged
Cabin
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 23/Feb/12 12:30pm

Took it for a blast around Bottlepuddle last night. OMG! it was awesome. Carried speed great, accelerated insanely, smoothed out the rough stuff and encouraged me to get out the saddle and smash the pinches. Once I realised I had to aggressively weight the front wheel it cornered awesomely. Frame size is perfect for me, felt completely at home on it. I think I'm in love (again)
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby kaiteri on Thu 23/Feb/12 1:20pm

kaiteri wrote:I've been told 29ers are suited to SM riders. Any truth in that...?

Well that was supposed to read "are not suited" but I like the more positive responses that my (freudian?) slip generated :)

Thanks for the feedback. Some forum trawling produced the following...
- some people experience pedal overlap, poss. due to their cleats not being positioned far enough forward,
- everyone liked the faster rolling speed
- they're a popular choice amongst racers
- quite a few found downhilling tight corners harder.

I concluded that, if you're a good rider, you'll adjust & handle the downhill challenges fine (as with any size 29er) and find any 'shortcomings' more than offset by the advantages.

As it happened, my exercise was academic as intended recipient (not a confident downhiller nor one to be convinced by trends) shot the 29er option down as it was leaving my mouth :crazy:

Didn't even want to know what colour it was... :o
kaiteri
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Thu 23/Feb/12 4:22pm

kaiteri wrote:- some people experience pedal overlap, poss. due to their cleats not being positioned far enough forward,

That wil be all those short people with really big feet that you see everywhere :p

Also, cleats way back is good for weight distribution, or so I hear from peeps who have done skillz courses.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

New Zealand | Regions | Upper South Island - Latest Posts