Re: Singlespeed Worlds In Rotorua, New Zealand, October 2010.

Postby Trail on Wed 20/Oct/10 9:02am

Datsane wrote:Whos re thinking their gear ratio after seeing the course?
That first climb is going to be interesting with 900 odd riders.

I would think 900 riders and that first climb would equal a walk unless you are right at the front :eh:

Having not ridden at Roto much, the course map means bugger all to me. Are you thinking of dropping from the standard 2:1??
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 20/Oct/10 4:26pm

I was already dropping from 32:16 to 32:18. There isn't anything huge on the course but 900riders and 40km (or so we are told) it might make things interesting at times. The first climb will be interesting there are lose rocks almost all the way up it or at least there was last time I come down it on foot for the RAT duathlons and I cant see them clearing a line for people to ride all of a sudden.
Any one that has kept up there riding up over winter should be right with 32:16. But like you said unless you are in the first 20 to 50 you're going to be walking at times. I'm picking I'll be lots of walking I'm feeling festively plump at the moment.

Atleast we don't need to worry about geared riders dropping into granny gears at the first hint of an up hill :thumbsup:
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby RussS on Wed 20/Oct/10 6:21pm

Ahhhh screw it datsane - wonder if I can swap the sprockets around ...... 20:32 looks like a goer on that loose shit :D
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby jeyboi on Wed 20/Oct/10 6:49pm

Awesome to see Rockdrop and Rosebank in there, they're great fun :thumbsup:
jeyboi
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Postby Nick_K on Wed 20/Oct/10 7:00pm

A 900 people mass starts going to good fun, I hope the organisers have thought how to spread things out a bit. Being old, fat and slow won't effect me but for the whippits....

My memory of Rotorua already faded so the course doesn't mean much to me. What gearing will people being rocking?
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Wed 20/Oct/10 7:04pm

If I was in any way serious, I'd be on 34/19, as I'm out for a giggle , I'm on 26/13 (down from 26/12)
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pugs on Wed 20/Oct/10 10:08pm

Just looked at the course map and was expecting it to look longer. Can anyone say what the distance shown on the map is? Is it multi-lap (how many)

Cheers
pugs
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 20/Oct/10 10:18pm

Nick_K wrote:A 900 people mass starts going to good fun, I hope the organisers have thought how to spread things out a bit. Being old, fat and slow won't effect me but for the whippits....

Bushlove sandbagging at it's finest.

Will be a ridiculous startline :crazy: Especially if it's the typical SS Le Mans start with people playing usual tricks
I reckon bring some pink balloons to tie to the frame.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 20/Oct/10 10:18pm

...wot he said
Last edited by cruiser on Thu 21/Oct/10 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 20/Oct/10 10:21pm

pushbikerider wrote:If I was in any way serious, I'd be on 34/19, as I'm out for a giggle , I'm on 26/13 (down from 26/12)

hmm, my 34:20 might be on the mark ( on a 29er though, does that change the math? )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Datsane on Wed 20/Oct/10 10:32pm

about 40km total. so at a guess 3 laps.

I'm sure the maps different to the first one I seen to :eh:
Edit: Just an arrow.
And interesting to have marshal points and an arrow in the middle without trail.
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby RussS on Wed 20/Oct/10 11:04pm

10k shorcut for the beet tent?
RussS
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby NDuroEvents on Thu 21/Oct/10 12:00am

Ahhh, the tension is building. Two things:

1. It is two laps. Will be about 42-43km.
2. With the race start - think about everything you can about starting 900 riders off into the forest. And then forget it.

Beer shortcuts: as if we are going to tell you before race day...however, we are willing to accept bribes of alcohol in exchange for information. You know where to find us.
NDuroEvents
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby NICKed on Thu 21/Oct/10 6:13pm

slidecontrol wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:If I was in any way serious, I'd be on 34/19, as I'm out for a giggle , I'm on 26/13 (down from 26/12)

hmm, my 34:20 might be on the mark ( on a 29er though, does that change the math? )

Worth about 2 teeth on the back when comparing against 26" wheels
NICKed
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Focker on Thu 21/Oct/10 9:50pm

I rode the course yesterday (1 lap only).......I'm on a 29r, unfit-ish and definitely sifting for first to the beer tent win amongst the Il treno dolore crew....so I was on a 32x20 and made it up all the climbs and flowed on the rolling stuff, but 2 laps @ 21km a lap (and I reckon for me 1hr 10-15 min pace a lap), 560 odd metres of ascent, I'm going for a conservative non-competitive survival mode 32x21 (and my knees' will thank me for it too). A couple of Elite guys I spoke were gearing down as well (34 x 18/19 on a 26r) so that gives you a fair idea of the nature of the course - its hard, its the World champs and I'd personally like to say that Marcus, Dean and co have come up with the best course I've seen for racing in years - good work fellas :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :satan:
Focker
"Watching you watching me..."
Member for: 8 years 11 months

Cycling | Singlespeed - Latest Posts