Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby dbr18210 on Fri 28/Oct/11 1:07pm

Oli wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:I would like to know how people saw it back when single speed was normal and multiple gears were a new thing. Were multis seen as lustworthy techno-bling or as unnecessary, unmanly, unreliable etc?
Yes they were. Google Henri Desgrange.


“I applaud this test, but I still feel that variable gears are only for people over 45. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. Come on fellows. Let’s say that the test was a fine demonstration – for our grandparents! As for me, give me a fixed gear!” - Henri Desgrange

Desgrange was responding to a “test” of derailleur bicycles, which pitted a rider on a fixed gear versus a rider on a three-speed derailleur-equipped bicycle, which the latter won.
dbr18210
User avatar
"I'm not crazy...My mother had me tested."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 28/Oct/11 5:48pm

dbr18210 wrote:
Oli wrote:
Simonius_Titius wrote:I would like to know how people saw it back when single speed was normal and multiple gears were a new thing. Were multis seen as lustworthy techno-bling or as unnecessary, unmanly, unreliable etc?
Yes they were. Google Henri Desgrange.


“I applaud this test, but I still feel that variable gears are only for people over 45. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft. Come on fellows. Let’s say that the test was a fine demonstration – for our grandparents! As for me, give me a fixed gear!” - Henri Desgrange


HD was right of course :)

We have a guy who rides with us on the long Sunday rides who’s first up most of the hills (eg. He was leading up Albany Hill, while the only other SS, me, in a lower gear half way down the pack) rides a SingleSpeed with like a 53 / 16 gear :crazy:

I find great satisfaction and a purity with only one gear :D
Even short rides become interesting if only for the sense of achievement of getting over the hills – not just dropping it down a gear like on my geared bike :blush:
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby neels on Fri 28/Oct/11 6:22pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I find great satisfaction and a purity with only one gear :D
Even short rides become interesting if only for the sense of achievement of getting over the hills – not just dropping it down a gear like on my geared bike :blush:

I agree completely, that's why I'm building a singlespeed for commuting to work, remove the option of wussing out and changing down a gear into a head wind.
neels
User avatar
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 28/Oct/11 6:59pm

neels wrote:
FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:I find great satisfaction and a purity with only one gear :D
Even short rides become interesting if only for the sense of achievement of getting over the hills – not just dropping it down a gear like on my geared bike :blush:

I agree completely, that's why I'm building a singlespeed for commuting to work, remove the option of wussing out and changing down a gear into a head wind.



:thumbsup:

Maybe there is a greater awareness of other traffic too if one isn't fiddling with the gears half the time.
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby Mickyfinn on Fri 28/Oct/11 7:11pm

I always remember when I started cycling the tradition was to use a single fixed in the winter... note sure why but it was something to do with skill both in riding and in being able to spin the gears... the faster you could spin the better (within reason ) smoother is probable the better term.
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 29/Oct/11 4:39pm

Mickyfinn wrote:I always remember when I started cycling the tradition was to use a single fixed in the winter... note sure why but it was something to do with skill both in riding and in being able to spin the gears... the faster you could spin the better (within reason ) smoother is probable the better term.



There would be less maintenance in a Fixie in winter conditions and it would mean the good bike stayed in the garage :)
Hardly anyone (I know of) trains like that nowadays but I think there is still merit in it – if only for the fact that riding something different is, well, different and helps to keep one’s cycling interesting :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
User avatar
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 29/Oct/11 10:03pm

http://www.mongoose.com/nzl/mtn/2012/bi ... ual-street

I'm seriously contemplating one of these
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby shinaddikins on Sat 29/Oct/11 10:26pm

yea same but they have cable discs other then that allgoods.
shinaddikins
User avatar
"AH,AH tell me more."
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby Gax on Sat 29/Oct/11 11:47pm

What for? Doing mean jumps?
Gax
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 30/Oct/11 7:54am

for playing on yeah.
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Re: Single Speed Or Not?

Postby its that guy on Sun 30/Oct/11 10:32am

shinaddikins wrote:yea same but they have cable discs

If your dirt jumping it doesn't really matter.
its that guy
User avatar
"Lurkin"
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts

Who is online

57 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 54 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop