Re: Sifter Goes (bike) Riding

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Jul/09 11:10pm

Great stuff bro, best read with a nice tumbler of Havana Club Barrel Proof rum in hand... :love:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby iodi on Mon 13/Jul/09 8:51am

sifter wrote:...ride a bunch of single track on Wright's Hill that's normally out-of-bounds...

Not any more. The Wrights Hill tracks were opened to bikes in late 2008, under WCC's Track Recreation Activities Policy. :thumbsup:
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby ryda on Mon 13/Jul/09 12:42pm

iodi wrote:
sifter wrote:...ride a bunch of single track on Wright's Hill that's normally out-of-bounds...

Not any more. The Wrights Hill tracks were opened to bikes in late 2008, under WCC's Track Recreation Activities Policy. :thumbsup:
Interesting cos about 3 weeks ago there was still no bike signs on a lot of walk tracks up there ? ie lower car park http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/184 and wrights hill short cut http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/185 ???
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby Grant on Mon 13/Jul/09 1:36pm

I got a little light headed reading all that! So it counts as training... :p Nice work Mr Sifter!
Grant
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Sifter Goes (bike) Riding (warning, This Is A Blog Post)

Postby sifter on Mon 20/Jul/09 2:22pm

Absolutely stunning day in Wellington today. Met Simon and the lunch bunch crew at Freyburg, and cruised round the bays. Had a blast up Happy Valley with Dom Green. Very very nice to get out in the sun, and feel a bit of burn in the legs!

Saw Oli passing in the other direction too, which is always a treat :love:
sifter
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Thu 30/Jul/09 1:54pm

Super impressed with my new Garmin Edge 705, which I bought from http://www.triginstruments.co.nz/

I bought a few mounts, so can swap it from bike to bike, and end up with a speedo etc on each - I've only ever had one on the roadie, though I lost the head unit on the way out to Porirua for the Hospi ride.

Also comes with a heart rate monitor, which might be handy at some point.

Turns out there's 170m (odd) of climbing between work and home, and yesterday arvo, I averaged 22.1km/h. So much data, warms the cockles of my heart! :love:
sifter

Postby ryda on Thu 30/Jul/09 3:38pm

can you down load the ride route and overlay it onto google maps with one of those ?
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Thu 30/Jul/09 3:42pm

ryda wrote:can you down load the ride route and overlay it onto google maps with one of those ?

not from linux... :( (at least not with the Garmin software. I haven't investigated the open source options...)

But, I suspect that you can from Windows or Mac...
sifter

Postby iodi on Thu 30/Jul/09 3:49pm

sifter wrote:
ryda wrote:can you down load the ride route and overlay it onto google maps with one of those ?

not from linux... :( (at least not with the Garmin software. I haven't investigated the open source options...)

It should be possible - Google Maps runs in a browser under almost any operating system, while Google Earth will run on Linux (see Google Earth System Requirements).
iodi
"I like dolphins"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Sat 1/Aug/09 5:41pm

sifter, over in the Wellington (road) Racing thread, wrote:Great to see most of that first hand Pete! (Well, apart from the sprint for the line.) You were definitely one of the strongest in the bunch today, and it's great to hear that you finished high up, as you deserved to. It baffles me why so many people are reluctant to work hard in the handicap races.

For my part, I enjoyed very little of it, but look forward to reaping the benefits of a hard hit-out in the weeks to come. Traditionally my body has responded well to hard riding, and I look forward to getting involved a bit more later in the year. Hard turns when I was able will speed that process along, and I'll take being dropped 1km or so from the line as reflective of my current form.

This evening, off to the RBNZ 75th anniversary ball, dressed as a 1930s gangster (I'm currently in full kit, pin stripe suit with waistcoat, white scarf, carnation, and little white over booties, white gloves, hat and plastic tommy gun over on the couch, and supping some Havana X-Blend from a cup with "Bad Motha Fucker" written on the side of it, and with the wasted sort of tingle in the legs... PERFECT!)

As always, it was good to get out. Nice to catch up with new and old faces, and great to don the Roadworks kit. Well done to everyone who rode their bikes today :)

LOLs at the Edge's height profile for the course. With careful manipulation of the vertical scale, you can make Pass of Branda look like Mont Ventoux!!!!
sifter

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Aug/09 8:37pm

How nice to be doing some riding again!

Simon and I made the most of the sunny Monday by heading round the bays for a tempo ride. It was pretty uneventful until Pass of Branda where I blew past a chap who'd swung in from Seatoun somewhere. I sat up on the other side, and a minute or so later the guy came past with Simon on his wheel. I tucked in third, and enjoyed the shelter for a bit. The pace was pretty hot, but eventually I thought it was time I took a turn. The guy spluttered "oh fuck" or "you fuck" or "oh fucker" or some such as I came past, Simon on my wheel, and we never saw him again... :D In hindsight I suspect he'd been trying to shake us!

By the time we got to Brooklyn lights, I was spent (well about 50m before the lights, truth be told). When we spoke on the phone that evening, Simon asked "why did you go so hard up Happy Valley?" And in response to my "you could have told me to slow down a little", he laughed. What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger I suppose!

Tonight we headed up Hawkins Hill from the bottom of Aro Valley. The strong cold wind was perfect on some the steeper sections near the top, and gave a welcome boost. Goddamn the view from up there on a clear night is incredible :love: Nice to see the lights of Blenheim in the South, and the Hutt Valley out to the north. Not super keen on all the red lights at the West Wind Farm, but it's all in the name of progress I suppose...

An uneventful ride down and home. Doesn't take long to notch up 800m of climbing in Welly! :D
sifter

Postby Joel on Wed 5/Aug/09 8:42pm

nice.

coming out on SMASHFEST tomorrow?
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Wed 5/Aug/09 8:44pm

Joel wrote:nice.

coming out on SMASHFEST tomorrow?

I think I'm going to have to make some progress at work tomorrow I'm afraid. But, should be able to make it *most* weeks, and am looking forward to it :)
sifter

Postby tylersdad on Wed 5/Aug/09 10:34pm

iodi wrote:
sifter wrote:

It should be possible - Google Maps runs in a browser under almost any operating system, while Google Earth will run on Linux (see Google Earth System Requirements).

mapmyride.com allows a garmin download onto google maps from memory.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 7/Aug/09 4:43pm

I ended up going for a ride at lunchtime on Thursday, and today. Both times around the bays. Couldn't not take advantage of the beautiful weather. Had a bit of a hunger flat today, and Simon ended up blowing me away up Happy Valley. Did pick up a woman's purse opposite the dairy down the south end of the valley (and her Fly Buys card, Visa card, chap stick and cell phone out of the gutter). It was red, and looked very fetching slung over my shoulder for the rest of the ride. She was very pleased to get it back, but dang it was heavy! ;

And, have pencilled in a couple of road rides. Simon and I want to do a 160km ride, aiming to finish at about midnight early in November. We'll aim to coincide with a full moon. Also, we're going to try for our "Round the Block" ride again. I've measured it up on mapmyride.com and it clocks in at a mere 265.89km. We're aiming for (almost) the longest day, 19 December. If anyone's keen to get involved, sing out :)

Looking forward to BP2 tomorrow.
sifter

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts