Postby sifter on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:09pm

Photo from Paekak Hill lookout - twas a stunning day out there...
dsc01348.jpg
sifter
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:11pm

sifter wrote: I've been enjoying the combination of decent weather, and work winding down for the silly season. Had a nice ride with the lunch bunch, which generously let Simon and I lead from Freyberg all the way to point Halswell on the northern end of the Miramar Peninsula. We were told it was our Christmas present to the bunch "for letting you two mountainbikers ride with us" :D What a great compliment!

On Boxing Day, I snuck out reasonably early, and rode the Makara Loop through the countryside to Johnsonville. On the way down Ngauranga (travelling the same speed as the cars around me), I got screeched at by a bogan harpy "get on the fucking footpath" - couldn't she see there wasn't one... :ib: :eh:

Today, after a rare sleep in, I left home at about 11:30, in a fairly foul mood. I had just stripped a bottle cage mount, and broke the quick release lever removing one of my mudguards. In any case, being out on the bike soon put me in a much better mood.

I did the Akatarawas Loop in an anticlockwise direction. It took me about an hour from Karori to the Silverstream turnoff, and 54 minutes to ride the 21 km from the "21 km to the summit" sign to the summit. The descent was lovely, though I was glad not to be climbing that way - it would have been hellishly hot.

I stopped at Waikanae for some lunch - Subway's sub of the day (salami) hitting the spot nicely. I've been enjoying their food since trying it for the first time a month or so ago. Just goes to show that sponsoring a cycling team can be good for business... :thumbsup:

I rode pretty hard up Paekak Hill, and it was over remarkably quickly. My energy levels faded in and out, and I stopped for a stretch and some food at Pauatahanui. Then, over the Haywards, and back along SH2. I was home about 6 hours after leaving, a full hour longer than the same ride in the opposite direction with Monolith what seems like eons ago.

I'm feeling nicely rooted now. Maybe it's time for a bath!

I think I spotted you riding up the Hutt, just south of the Hawkins Hill turnoff... Were you in Roadworks gear?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby musket on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:12pm

Rocking the 09 Roadworks gear, nice Sift!
musket
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby sifter on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:13pm

happybaboon wrote:
sifter wrote: I've been enjoying the combination of decent weather, and work winding down for the silly season. Had a nice ride with the lunch bunch, which generously let Simon and I lead from Freyberg all the way to point Halswell on the northern end of the Miramar Peninsula. We were told it was our Christmas present to the bunch "for letting you two mountainbikers ride with us" :D What a great compliment!

On Boxing Day, I snuck out reasonably early, and rode the Makara Loop through the countryside to Johnsonville. On the way down Ngauranga (travelling the same speed as the cars around me), I got screeched at by a bogan harpy "get on the fucking footpath" - couldn't she see there wasn't one... :ib: :eh:

Today, after a rare sleep in, I left home at about 11:30, in a fairly foul mood. I had just stripped a bottle cage mount, and broke the quick release lever removing one of my mudguards. In any case, being out on the bike soon put me in a much better mood.

I did the Akatarawas Loop in an anticlockwise direction. It took me about an hour from Karori to the Silverstream turnoff, and 54 minutes to ride the 21 km from the "21 km to the summit" sign to the summit. The descent was lovely, though I was glad not to be climbing that way - it would have been hellishly hot.

I stopped at Waikanae for some lunch - Subway's sub of the day (salami) hitting the spot nicely. I've been enjoying their food since trying it for the first time a month or so ago. Just goes to show that sponsoring a cycling team can be good for business... :thumbsup:

I rode pretty hard up Paekak Hill, and it was over remarkably quickly. My energy levels faded in and out, and I stopped for a stretch and some food at Pauatahanui. Then, over the Haywards, and back along SH2. I was home about 6 hours after leaving, a full hour longer than the same ride in the opposite direction with Monolith what seems like eons ago.

I'm feeling nicely rooted now. Maybe it's time for a bath!

I think I spotted you riding up the Hutt, just south of the Hawkins Hill turnoff... Were you in Roadworks gear?

Haywards? Probably about half twelve, and again at just after 5pm! And as for the Roadworks gear... I didn't buy two pairs of bib shorts and two new jerseys (to add to my old two) for nothing ;) :D
sifter

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:14pm

happybaboon wrote:I think I spotted you riding up the Hutt, just south of the Hawkins Hill turnoff... Were you in Roadworks gear?

Clearly was you then :thumbsup:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Mon 29/Dec/08 10:14pm

musket wrote: Rocking the 09 Roadworks gear, nice Sift!

It's pretty sharp eh?! I'm impressed with the Ultimo bibs too :thumbsup: :)
sifter

Postby sifter on Fri 2/Jan/09 2:11pm

Had a lovely ride with Oli on the 31st, heading from his place south through Island Bay, and then around the bays. The northerly wind around Point Jerningham just before Oriental Bay was incredible!

This morning, I headed out to Makara Beach at a sifty pace, then back-tracked, stopping at Makara School to stretch. Too much walking lately I reckon - my legs are so stiff! The rain started on the way back from the beach, and kept this nice and cool, as did the fairly strong northerly.

Anyway, Simon had suggested I do 4 reps of Makara Hill. After the first, I figured two would be enough, but managed the four in the end, each time returning to Makara School for a drink. I was on the CRX, and managed 7:49, 8:14, 8:34 and 8:25. Reasonably consistent, though the first one was probably a bit too quick (only 4 seconds down on my PB). I must go up there sometime soon on the Roubaix which from memory is 3 or 4 pounds lighter than the CRX!
sifter

Re: Sifter Goes (road) Riding (in Wellington)

Postby sifter on Fri 9/Jan/09 12:37pm

Got my legs torn off by Joel yesterday - he dropped me countless times, on hills, on the flat, and even on a descent...

Flying to Gisborne tomorrow, and then back to Wellington from Whakatane on Wednesday evening... Plenty of pedalling in between :)
sifter

Postby Joel on Fri 9/Jan/09 2:10pm

sifter wrote:Got my legs torn off by Joel yesterday - he dropped me countless times, on hills, on the flat, and even on a descent...

Flying to Gisborne tomorrow, and then back to Wellington from Whakatane on Wednesday evening... Plenty of pedalling in between :)

just a bad day for you big fulla. enjoy the east coast.. i look forward to the pics!
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 5 months

Postby sifter on Fri 9/Jan/09 8:26pm

Just finished packing the Bob trailer for the trip. Thanks to Scotty for helping me get my pedals off the CRX. I've added a bit of grease, so should be all set for the airport tomorrow.

The plan is to fly to Gisborne, arriving at about 1:30. Then 90km to Tokomaru Bay. Sunday brings 78km to Te Araroa, with a side trip into Ruatoria for a pie, and perhaps a couple of other stops. Monday, I'm toying with getting up at sparrow's fart, and riding in the dark out to the East Cape to watch the sun come up. It's about 45km return. Then a 55km leg to Waihau Bay, where I'm spending a couple of nights. On Wednesday, I have a mere 146km in time for a 5:30 flight home, via Auckland unfortunately...

Am taking my nice new Canon Ixus 90IS in all its 10MP glory. Hopefully should get a few nice shots. Looking forward to seeing NZ's largest Pohutakawa at Te Araroa... 40m boughs apparently...!
sifter

Postby Oli on Fri 9/Jan/09 8:32pm

Have a lovely time, bro. You deserve a good break. :)

P.S. Sorry to hear about your pedals - who's your mechanic? :blush:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Fri 9/Jan/09 8:35pm

Oli wrote:Have a lovely time, bro. You deserve a good break. :)

P.S. Sorry to hear about your pedals - who's your mechanic? :blush:

don't worry about it at all! No real need for them to come off usually, but a bit much for my little old allen key. Luckily, Scotty had a spanner AND was just round the corner [edit] AND was generous enough to help [/edit] AND the pedals could take the spanner. You'll be pleased to hear I finally own a little tube of grease ;)
sifter

Postby Oli on Fri 9/Jan/09 8:40pm

:0
Oli
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby SteveC on Sat 10/Jan/09 2:06pm

sifter wrote:Got my legs torn off by Joel yesterday - he dropped me countless times, on hills, on the flat, and even on a descent...

Here are a couple of pics of Joel and Sifter when I left them on Thursday's ride at the top of Korokoro. Sifter's legs were definitely still attached at that stage :)

Joel and Sifter.jpg

Although the legs do seem to be going on him here

Joel and Sifter again.jpg
SteveC
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Wed 14/Jan/09 9:27pm

Great photos SteveC!

Today I road (sp?!) 160km towing a Bob trailer - from Oruaiti Beach to Whakatane Airport! I made my flight with an hour to spare! Photos and story to come!
sifter

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts