Postby psychavoc on Sun 12/Oct/08 9:31pm

Nice one John :) And good to see Katy having fun on her bike :rolleyes:
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby sifter on Sun 12/Oct/08 9:32pm

psychavoc wrote: Nice one John :) And good to see Katy having fun on her bike :rolleyes:

I could have done with some of her power on those climbs today! :D
sifter
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Joel on Sun 12/Oct/08 10:23pm

Woot! Go Kaitlyn on the skate park! ;)
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Sun 12/Oct/08 10:42pm

Another beautiful chronicle of your days, John. That's just awesome bro... :)
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby sweet_P on Sun 12/Oct/08 10:57pm

Awesome John - love reading about your rides! (And yay for Kaitlyn getting brave!!) :)
sweet_P
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby sifter on Sun 19/Oct/08 4:55pm

No road ride for me this weekend, but I have been riding! If you don't mind the odd bog and stream crossing, here's the tale! http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopicp-1922256.html#1922256
sifter

Postby sifter on Sat 25/Oct/08 6:44pm

:pmob: Had a stunning ride with Simon up the Ohakune Mountain Road to Turoa Skifield today. We're staying at Rangataua, just south of Ohakune, and had a short ride to the bottom of the climb. Then, a 16km ascent, climbing 1000m. It was dry to start with, but we put our coats on at about half way. Things ticked along nicely until the last few km, which were pretty damn steep. I was on the CRX, and was pleased for the compact gearing... Simon did it pretty hard on his traditionally-geared roadie, and one of the few rides he's done since the GDR. There was enough time for a banana, and an ill-posed photo of some snow at the top carpark, before a tough descent. It was wet, and damn cold sitting on the bike with little work to do but keep it pointing in the right direction. It was nice to get to the bottom, and back onto dry(ish) roads, for the short ride back to Rangataua. Warm clothes on, then in the car for some world famous (in New Zealand) chocolate eclairs and a big bowl of hot coffee (istep - I won't say it...)

We might pop over to Pipiriki on the Whanganui tomorrow... Weather's making it hard to commit to a ride around the mountain.
dsc01179.jpg
Last edited by sifter on Mon 27/Oct/08 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.
sifter

Postby sifter on Mon 27/Oct/08 9:46am

Sunday's weather was not ideal - cold, and spells of rain. Nonetheless, we set off for Pipiriki on the Whanganui River at 1pm, grossly overdressed (I wore four layers of Ground Effect clothing - the merino vest, a roadie jersey, a baked alaska, and a long-sleeved shell...). While I sweated a lot on the ride, at no point did I regret having all those clothes on!

Pipiriki's pretty much west of where we were staying at Rangataua, and the round trip (to the waambulance at Ohakune) was a little over 80km. So, not a massive ride, but pretty neat to ride from the central plateau into the upper reaches of a river which feels like it's nowhere near the mountain!

Raetihi's pretty quiet on a Sunday afternoon, but we got a lovely bit of encouragement from a couple of 5 year olds playing in the middle of the road... For a ride that drops about 500m elevation to the river, we did a lot of climbing on the way out. The road was very quiet, though there were a few canoe operators heading our way. The scenery was spectacular, with some impressive river gorges, and a carbon copy of the "Bridge to Nowhere". There were half a dozen or so kilometers of gravel road, which we almost covered quicker on the climb out of the river. Simon was on his road bike, and me on the CRX, but both with narrow tyres.

There was a small shop at Pipiriki, offering packets of chippies and lollies displayed on a small book shelf, and a fridge with a sign on the front promising chocolate, fizzy drinks and juice within. We weren't tempted, although when my legs started to implode 30 minutes later, I was having second thoughts...

Once back on the road, it was undulating riding back to Raetihi. I popped into the 4 Square and came out with a cookie, which Simon and I shared, and a can of pepsi, which I downed myself. We got hailed on before we got back to Ohakune. We hammered along, desperately trying to get the ride finished (by this stage we'd arranged for Sarah to pick us up outside the eclair shop), but were unable to keep the pace up for the entire 11km.

The steak and cheese pie was good. (I turned down a steak and mince pie - what a fascinating combination.) The apple pie wasn't so good - it was over half air! I should have had an eclair, but I was on cream overdose... Getting out of all my wet gear and getting warm again was a real highlight.

The ride was only 80km, and a lot of that was rolling along with little effort trying to avoid rocks and potholes. We covered it in just under 4 hours, including stops. We passed through some very remote, and very cool NZ countryside. If you're ever in Ohakune with bikes, and nothing to do on them, I recommend you drive to Raetihi, and do the out-and-back from there!
dsc01184.jpg
Simon admiring the Whanganui River
dsc01188.jpg
pipiriki.jpg
sifter

Postby mtbrat on Mon 27/Oct/08 10:02am

thanks Sifter, sounds like an awesome place to sink in the glory that is eNZed
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Mon 27/Oct/08 7:07pm

mtbrat wrote: thanks Sifter, sounds like an awesome place to sink in the glory that is eNZed

you're most welcome! :)
sifter

Postby nostromo on Mon 27/Oct/08 9:00pm

Wow, where you parked your bike was snow-ified 6 weeks ago.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Mon 27/Oct/08 9:15pm

Great stuff, John. :)
Oli

Postby sifter on Mon 3/Nov/08 12:20pm

Had a nice ride with the lunch bunch on Friday, and rode to work around the bays this morning. I thought my bike was falling to bits down Happy Valley, but it turned out the strange noises were coming from a guy in Capital kit who stuck on my wheel all the way down the valley. Was a nice way to start the day, despite the wind.
sifter

Postby Oli on Mon 3/Nov/08 3:14pm

:D
Oli

Postby sifter on Mon 17/Nov/08 10:01pm

Feels like forever since I went for a ride, and it almost was, well a fortnight anyway!

Despite spewing my guts out the entire trip from Singapore to Auckland (arriving midday Saturday), and not eating anything until Sunday afternoon, I really really really wanted to go for a ride this evening. After doubling the pressure in my tyres, I set out through Karori, and down past the gardens to Parliament, then around to Oriental Bay. There, I came across Morty on his fixie. We rode together through Kilbirnie, around the south coast, and up Aro Valley, whereupon he turned right, and I headed home. It was damn good to get out.

I'm really looking forward to heading up to Taupo in just under a fortnight. I've not ridden it before, and am really looking forward to riding with very low expectations, and being part of the mass-participation event that it is! I mustn't forget a decent black marker to add "sifter" to my numbers!
sifter

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts