Re: Sifter Goes (bike) Riding

Postby Klarkash-ton on Mon 2/Nov/09 9:40am

sifter wrote:I got sunburnt legs today! First time this season I didn't even consider popping the knee warmers on.

Simon and Jonty were heading out too early for me, so I headed out through the Hutt on my own, bumping into them just after the 2 hour mark, a wee way beyond Staglands. Nice to see a simling face popping out of a Bushlove jerkin by Karapoti - I assume it was Monolith?

same here, first time out without my winter longs. Was hoping the KCC would be doing an aka's loop, but instead we went up north, out to a few beaches past Otaki, and then back over SH1 around manakau were we went last week. odd - never been there before, then twice in a week or so.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby sifter on Mon 2/Nov/09 10:20am

Lynskey wrote:I saw you coming back up Karori Rd just before you get to Marsden Village. I was zooming down the other way (in a red and white top) and you gave me what looked suspiciously like a disapproving look :lol:

:lol: Never!

Actually, I was in a foul mood by that stage, and I was disapproving of my entire surroundings! You included I guess!!!! :D
sifter
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 1:58pm

I'm not sure if my body needed the ride I did just now, but my head sure as shit did...

It's been a while since Simon and I hit up Mt Vic, and though he and his GW colleagues are picking rubbish out of South Karori stream, I was keen to get out there. Simon suggested four times would be enough, but since I'm not doing the Wild Welly Relay, I figured a couple of hours wouldn't hurt. I left work at 11:30 and told myself I'd start my last climb no later than 1:30.

I rode round the bays as far as Evans Bay to warm up, and then...
1. up the ridge and down to Hataitai Village
2. up Upoko Rd and down Maida Vale
3. up Kio Bay zig zag and down Grafton Rd
4. up Maida Vale Rd and down Maida Vale Rd
5. up Grafton Rd and down to Bus Tunnel
6. up Upoko Rd and down Grafton Rd
7. up Palliser Rd and down Palliser Rd and back to work...

All up it was 1358m of climbing in 46km, with an elapsed time of 2h03 (from and to work). My speed dropped off a bit for the last couple, but all in all, it was a satisfying ride.

A couple of highlights: a young woman cycling in the bike lane against the flow!!!! :crazy: Also, I passed a couple of guys on #4. One of them sped up and started half wheeling me. After I said "Have pity, this is my 4th" he dropped back to his mate. Not sure if there's much glory in racing a tired man up a hill - especially if it's on the cards you're gonna get your arse whooped! ;)
sifter

Postby orangecruz on Thu 5/Nov/09 2:00pm

Hey - and you saw me - running along wthi my gammy arm in a brace!
orangecruz
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 2:08pm

orangecruz wrote:Hey - and you saw me - running along wthi my gammy arm in a brace!

I can't believe I forgot! :( I didn't notice the arm though - heal well...
sifter

Postby orangecruz on Thu 5/Nov/09 2:10pm

it is. me not made for runnign any more ... chug chug chug

but you were cycling really well!
orangecruz

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 2:12pm

orangecruz wrote:it is. me not made for runnign any more ... chug chug chug

but you were cycling really well!

Maida Vale must be part of a pretty common lunch time loop? I saw dozens of runners going up there on my various passes...
sifter

Postby orangecruz on Thu 5/Nov/09 2:19pm

Yeah it is. When I was a real runner it was our Friday training loop. Botanical Gardens, Maide-vale and back. 10Km - 40 mins. those days are well over!
orangecruz

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 10:22pm

there's hills in that thar data...!
mt_vic_x7.jpg
sifter

Postby sifter on Thu 5/Nov/09 11:06pm

Tip Track... Looks very much like I'm a constant speed kinda guy...
tip_track.jpg
sifter

Postby Oli on Thu 5/Nov/09 11:17pm

So all I have to do is hang on and sprint you at the end? :crazy:
Oli
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Monolith on Fri 6/Nov/09 10:07am

sifter wrote:Tip Track... Looks very much like I'm a constant speed kinda guy...

Wow, that's cool. I thought the Tip Track was a bit longer for some reason. Good to see you're doing seal to seal ;) :D
Monolith
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Iseneye on Sat 7/Nov/09 4:37pm

Hey Sifter. I notice you are using Garmin Connect which has very few options - can I suggest that you have a look at Sport Tracks:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

It's free like GC and has way more useful tools than crappy old GC. I'm not affiliated with the program at all but I whore it out as much as I can because it is awesome :)
Iseneye
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby sifter on Mon 9/Nov/09 8:38am

Iseneye wrote:Hey Sifter. I notice you are using Garmin Connect which has very few options - can I suggest that you have a look at Sport Tracks:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

It's free like GC and has way more useful tools than crappy old GC. I'm not affiliated with the program at all but I whore it out as much as I can because it is awesome :)

Cheers - will have a look...
sifter

Postby sifter on Wed 11/Nov/09 4:03pm

Got a txt from Simon (riding between the NI Main Trunk Line and New Plymouth) this morning which made me ever so slightly gladder to be inside...

Simonk wrote:Yowzer! 60k in a stherly - my bikes never looked so clean! Rain clearing. Only 80k to go. Hot kai in Mokau now.

I'm flying to New Plymouth on Friday, and we're meeting in Stratford that evening. Saturday's the Forgotten Highway (SH43) to Taumarunui, and on Sunday we're hitting an old forest trail to National Park, before jumping on a train home...

I loaded the route on mapmyride a while ago, and really should see about loading it onto my Garmin Edge... Map here =} http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/new-zeala ... 5078146679

I've put some Maxxis Locust cross tyres on the Giant CRX, and a rear carrier. The commute was a bit sluggish today! Am looking forward to the ride :)
sifter

Cross Country Racing | Cycling | Lower North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Wellington | Wellington Region - Latest Posts