Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Datsane on Mon 3/Aug/09 2:06pm

I don't think you could ever have enough (usable) light while night riding. Nothing you do will ever be as good as daylight riding.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby danose on Mon 3/Aug/09 2:09pm

thorg wrote:Granted, I use a set of Ayups, which a pretty good, but buy the 'new' standards they are not so much. Cant see the point in having daylight in front of you when you are on a night ride.


funny how the people who come out with that are always the one's with the less grunty lights? Probably the same as the 'rear suspension is just for people who can't ride proper' crowd :satan:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby thorg on Mon 3/Aug/09 2:20pm

danose wrote:
thorg wrote:Granted, I use a set of Ayups, which a pretty good, but buy the 'new' standards they are not so much. Cant see the point in having daylight in front of you when you are on a night ride.


funny how the people who come out with that are always the one's with the less grunty lights? Probably the same as the 'rear suspension is just for people who can't ride proper' crowd :satan:
:D yar. I only found (in my pre Ayup days - running a 35w halogen and a SLA battery/brick) I needed more light when riding with people with better lights. till then I found the good ol halogens fine, didnt know what i was missing etc. new technology is great, and shows how far electricery has come, with moar power for less weight and longer run times.

I still have my less grunty light, but never use it, but thats mainly because of the ease of use and weight of the ayups, not their power. I have ridden with just 1 Ayup, didnt really like it, I am too used to riding with one on bars and one on helmet (same system I ran even on halogens). I just like the 'feel' of the amount of light I have now - not too much, not too little.

each to their own. but I would suggest that it is not my lack of fancy lights that makes my Ayups seem adaquate, but rather my lack of speed/skill meaning I dont require more light :lol:
thorg
User avatar
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Datsane on Tue 4/Aug/09 4:42pm

Half the trouble riding with others that have better light output is they tend to ride faster. So you find your light even worse then before as you try to ride faster also.

So if you think you 20watt halogen is fine you are riding to slow.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 4/Aug/09 4:51pm

I only bring out all my lights if I'm
    a: racing
    b: want to annoy Datsane whilst sifting
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby znomit on Tue 4/Aug/09 7:00pm

Thats why I'm building a light that gets brighter as I go faster. :thumbsup:

Datsane wrote:Half the trouble riding with others that have better light output is they tend to ride faster. So you find your light even worse then before as you try to ride faster also.

So if you think you 20watt halogen is fine you are riding to slow.
znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Colin on Tue 4/Aug/09 7:28pm

I used to enjoy the differences between day and night riding.

But more and more people I ride with came out with brighter lights. When these wannamakedaylight lights got behind me they would totally overpower my light leaving me riding into the shadow that my 20w irc struggled to illuminate.

So last winter I bought an iBlast.

It's brighter, but I find the white light flattens things out too much. I don't enjoy night riding so much and hardly ever do it now :(
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby petertucker on Tue 4/Aug/09 9:04pm

This condition is known as 'Light Envy'
petertucker
"Hang on"
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Gunna on Wed 5/Aug/09 8:40pm

Colin wrote:I used to enjoy the differences between day and night riding.

But more and more people I ride with came out with brighter lights. When these wannamakedaylight lights got behind me they would totally overpower my light leaving me riding into the shadow that my 20w irc struggled to illuminate.

So last winter I bought an iBlast.

It's brighter, but I find the white light flattens things out too much. I don't enjoy night riding so much and hardly ever do it now :(


Agree with you Colin. Just been for a ride tonight with mates on our usual Wed night ride (5-6 of us) and we all have the good ole home made 35w halogen, heavy battery and we have a ball. No fancy lights, no-one really cares, and we probably carry more weight around the belt line than the batteries anyway (extra cardio exercise) :D . If you are only riding say once a week at night, before you know it daylight saving is here and the (expensive ) lights won't be used until next winter. Lot of dosh tied up in something used for a short period. $80 setup has last me 6 years and only on second battery (still use first one), good value.......but this is only MHO :baaa:
Gunna
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby onyabike on Wed 5/Aug/09 9:11pm

Gunna wrote:
Colin wrote:I used to enjoy the differences between day and night riding.

But more and more people I ride with came out with brighter lights. When these wannamakedaylight lights got behind me they would totally overpower my light leaving me riding into the shadow that my 20w irc struggled to illuminate.

So last winter I bought an iBlast.

It's brighter, but I find the white light flattens things out too much. I don't enjoy night riding so much and hardly ever do it now :(


Agree with you Colin. Just been for a ride tonight with mates on our usual Wed night ride (5-6 of us) and we all have the good ole home made 35w halogen, heavy battery and we have a ball. No fancy lights, no-one really cares, and we probably carry more weight around the belt line than the batteries anyway (extra cardio exercise) :D . If you are only riding say once a week at night, before you know it daylight saving is here and the (expensive ) lights won't be used until next winter. Lot of dosh tied up in something used for a short period. $80 setup has last me 6 years and only on second battery (still use first one), good value.......but this is only MHO :baaa:


Yip agreed - night riding is not meant to be easy and there is a lot to be said about riding in that little 'halogen world' view of the track. I like the spooky ilumination of punga fronds and kanuka bark on the edge of my periferal vision especially. Mind you I'm a night shift worker and get to ride any day of the week, so my lead acids sit on the shelf most of the year anyhow.
onyabike
User avatar
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby Datsane on Wed 5/Aug/09 10:05pm

I had a small OTB incident acouple of years ago that I found rather painfull, fell sideways(ish) onto my back with a 7Ah SLA in my pack "Ahhh Fuck" sums up what it was like.
After that I had a better look at the new fangled lights and batteries. And I also find the extra 3kg of of battery rather hurty on my back.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 5/Aug/09 10:13pm

Gunna wrote:
Colin wrote:I used to enjoy the differences between day and night riding.

But more and more people I ride with came out with brighter lights. When these wannamakedaylight lights got behind me they would totally overpower my light leaving me riding into the shadow that my 20w irc struggled to illuminate.

So last winter I bought an iBlast.

It's brighter, but I find the white light flattens things out too much. I don't enjoy night riding so much and hardly ever do it now :(


Agree with you Colin. Just been for a ride tonight with mates on our usual Wed night ride (5-6 of us) and we all have the good ole home made 35w halogen, heavy battery and we have a ball. No fancy lights, no-one really cares, and we probably carry more weight around the belt line than the batteries anyway (extra cardio exercise) :D . If you are only riding say once a week at night, before you know it daylight saving is here and the (expensive ) lights won't be used until next winter. Lot of dosh tied up in something used for a short period. $80 setup has last me 6 years and only on second battery (still use first one), good value.......but this is only MHO :baaa:



You can apply this same argument (can't be arsed identifying it exactly) to the different way people consider purchasing new bikes. Some are happy with just one do it all bike, others need bikes for all occasions, others need the latest and greatest and most bling, others are super-proud of their 21-yr steed in the garage. Same rationale with lights. I'm happy I decided to move from home-made heavy and unreliable SLA to lightweight, simple and cheap rechargable torches. I had my personal criteria to base my decision on. I'm careful not to criticise others for their tastes and bike-gear decisions as they are thier own and such differences make the world colourful
BrokenKonaRider
User avatar
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby ArjanH on Wed 10/Mar/10 10:24pm

Time's drawing closer that we will be needing the lights for our Tuesday/Thursday night rides again.
This year I have opted for the HA-III from deal extreme as the helmet mount of choice. I have decided that I also want something on the bike that will give me my close by wide angle. I am thinking of using a single Luxeon Rebel tri at 540 Lumens with a 39 degree lens to do the job. I am thinking of mounting it directly under the stem using the back of the unused thread to attach it to the stem.
I know there is brighter and better LED options out there but I have the drivers and batteries to match this settup already and I figured that 540 lumens will be more than enough to light up the area up to 3 or 4 meters in front of the bike.
Being 20x20MM in size this unit will hopefully end up being very small and light as I can use the stem to aid as a heat sink.
Any thoughts?
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby znomit on Wed 10/Mar/10 10:58pm

znomit
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Show Us Your Homemade Mtb Lights

Postby ArjanH on Thu 11/Mar/10 7:11am

I always have difficulty trying to find what I want on the cutter website. :blush:
Not sure but I think the rebel is brighter by a fair bit and less power hungry too. I can't be bothered reading all the tech guff. Not at 7AM anyway.
http://www.luxeonstar.com/premounted-rebel-cool-white-leds-on-a-20mm-tristar-base-540-lm-p-647.php
http://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/DS64.pdf
ArjanH
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles