Postby Gunna on Sun 27/May/07 5:53pm

Nice and easy to make, 3 years riding no problems and survived any crashes. :)
light 002.jpg
Gunna
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby diamondback-man on Sun 27/May/07 8:46pm

The light cost me $78.00 to make plus the cost of the battery and charger so budget around $150.00. The main reason for going to an LED light was to save weight as they draw around 1/2 the current of a halogen you can use a much smaller battery.
I got the LED's off Tojja , I got the optics and led driver from Led Supply best to get a few mates together as the cost of shipping is $24.00us
The instructions to build this light are here "by 'eck" Tojjariffic Led Lights - Instructions
If you are keen to make one and need a list of parts I'll post one and a drawing.
diamondback-man
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pb on Tue 29/May/07 10:15pm

Does anyone have any spare Seoul LEDs I could buy? I am currently using a Luxeon 3W but want to swap over to a better LED if possible.
pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby diamondback-man on Wed 30/May/07 6:33pm

pb wrote: Does anyone have any spare Seoul LEDs I could buy? I am currently using a Luxeon 3W but want to swap over to a better LED if possible.

Try Tojja he may have some left if not could be ordering some soon to make a spare light
diamondback-man

Postby Reet on Sun 3/Jun/07 5:20pm

here is the beefed up battery pack which lasts twice as long and still weights less than 7Ah SLA. It gives me about 2hrs before it starts to dim at 5.4ah on a 20w halogen bulb which is all i need
Mark2.JPG
20AA weights a lot less than 7ah SLA but more expensive
Reet
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 3/Jun/07 5:27pm

Reet wrote: here is the beefed up battery pack which lasts twice as long and still weights less than 7Ah SLA. It gives me about 2hrs before it starts to dim at 5.4ah on a 20w halogen bulb which is all i need
I get 2 hours out of my 7Ah SLA on a 35w
SlackBoy
Member for: 18 years 9 months

Postby VERT on Sun 3/Jun/07 5:42pm

SlackBoy wrote:
Reet wrote: here is the beefed up battery pack which lasts twice as long and still weights less than 7Ah SLA. It gives me about 2hrs before it starts to dim at 5.4ah on a 20w halogen bulb which is all i need

Do you really need that much light??

My current Halogen is a 25W IRC which makes night look like day, I get 4 hours of this

I'm in the process of building some LED lights
VERT
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby SlackBoy on Sun 3/Jun/07 5:45pm

VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

My current Halogen is a 25W IRC which makes night look like day, I get 4 hours of this
I ride faster than you tho.
I will be making a seoull P4 light in the not too distant future, which will be rather bright, and put out proballyl more light than a 25w, but I don't think as much as a 35w
SlackBoy

Postby VERT on Sun 3/Jun/07 6:16pm

SlackBoy wrote:
VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

I will be making a seoull P4 light in the not too distant future, which will be rather bright, and put out proballyl more light than a 25w, but I don't think as much as a 35w

You do ride faster than me but that wasn't the point I was making
VERT

Postby shredder13 on Sun 3/Jun/07 7:16pm

inzane wrote: The reason your light is not as bright is that the SLA batteries are probably putting out more like 13V rather than 12V. You can run the halogens at higher Voltages than the 12 V they are rated for and get more light out of them, although this usually significantly decreases the life of the bulb.

So, if you wanted the same sort of brightness make it an 11 pack of AA batteries... (yes I know, nobody makes an 11 holder).

I have heard of these bulbs being run at up to 14V...

I've been running 14.4v NiMH for a few years now with no problems with the bulb. A lot more light for not much more weight. :thumbsup: The bulbs are rated for 1000s hrs, even if it only lasts for a few 100 hrs that is a lot or riding for a $20 bulb. Also have a handle mount light for better definition of the trail (and just in case :paranoid: ). The higher voltage gives a whiter light not as good as a HID but a step in that direction. :D
shredder13
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby diamondback-man on Mon 4/Jun/07 9:44pm

shredder13 wrote:
inzane wrote: The reason your light is not as bright is that the SLA batteries are probably putting out more like 13V rather than 12V. You can run the halogens at higher Voltages than the 12 V they are rated for and get more light out of them, although this usually significantly decreases the life of the bulb.

So, if you wanted the same sort of brightness make it an 11 pack of AA batteries... (yes I know, nobody makes an 11 holder).

I have heard of these bulbs being run at up to 14V...

I've been running 14.4v NiMH for a few years now with no problems with the bulb. A lot more light for not much more weight. :thumbsup: The bulbs are rated for 1000s hrs, even if it only lasts for a few 100 hrs that is a lot or riding for a $20 bulb. Also have a handle mount light for better definition of the trail (and just in case :paranoid: ). The higher voltage gives a whiter light not as good as a HID but a step in that direction. :D

I ran 14.4 volts and this light brain controller before I went to a P4 LED light. Worked very well and was way brighter than a SLA battery
diamondback-man

Postby SlackBoy on Mon 4/Jun/07 10:29pm

VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

Yes it was, I need more light than you, 1 cos I am blinder, and 2 cos I ride faster, and it's easier for me to outride my lights
SlackBoy

Postby VERT on Mon 4/Jun/07 10:35pm

SlackBoy wrote:
VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:
VERT wrote:
SlackBoy wrote:

Yes it was, I need more light than you, 1 cos I am blinder, and 2 cos I ride faster, and it's easier for me to outride my lights

might be your point but not mine as I am "me" not you
VERT

Postby Nick_K on Mon 4/Jun/07 11:02pm

I don't have any pics but I have the getto 20W halogen with a brick.

Last about ~3.5hrs which is more than enough for any night ride.

Been intending to buy some new flasher/lighter lights but just can't get that excited about them so always end up spending my money on something else :)
Nick_K
"www.bushloveracing.com"
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Vinnie on Mon 4/Jun/07 11:08pm

Mines completely ghetto, in fact it follows the Dazzle method :)

35 Watt IRC in a V Can with a baby food can as the inner retainer. Attached to a 'brick' with a switch and no mount apart from tied to the helmet with strips of inner tube.

Next time I mount it up, I'll grab a photo.
Vinnie
Member for: 18 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Night Riding - Latest Posts