Re: Show Us Your Cyclocross Bike.

Postby Oli on Sat 15/Feb/14 11:44pm

I've got a pair of the 40s on my Indy, and I rate them in most conditions except full on mud, where the tread tends to clag up.
Oli
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby fatwombat on Sun 16/Feb/14 6:04pm

Thanks for that. I might get some for the Bianchi - Jon went up the tip track this morning with the 35mm Rocket Rons off the Bianchi, he was very happy with them, so he's disinclined to experiment further before K-Day.

He's been wearing the Roadworks skinsuit every Sunday at Speed League, he reckons it's luckier for him than the iRide one! :)
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Sun 16/Feb/14 7:33pm

Yuss! :cool:

I keep meaning to make it back up to the track, but other stuff keeps getting in the way. :hmmm:
Oli
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby kavika on Mon 3/Mar/14 7:58pm

Just ordered a Specialized Crux Elite. Being a NOOB, and not knowing anything about SRAM groupsets, I ASSumed that the Apex it comes with was similar to Ultegra, seeing as I could have paid the same $2000 asking price for a CAADX Ultegra :blink:
I guess it will spend most of it's time gathering dust in the garage once the novelty wears off
kavika
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 3/Mar/14 9:11pm

Ah don't worry, nothing too much wrong with Apex. Being cyclocross you will break it/wear it out before too long and you can replace it with something better.
I'm running it on my volagi and its functional if a bit agricultural. As soon as someone else (likely shimano) makes a good road hydraulic disc I'll probably start upgrading.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 4/Mar/14 10:52pm

wachtourak wrote:Finally got this all finished

Soma Double Cross Disc + Tange Prestige crabon fork and King BB + headset
Wheels = ZTR Iron Cross rims laced to XT hubs w/DT comps (running tubeless, will see how well that goes)
Drivetrain = Mix of Ultegra, 105 and CX70
Brakes = Shimano CX-77
Cockpit = Thomson Elite/FSA Energy wing compact bars

Excuse the lots of spacers til I figure out the bar height and the garbage saddle til I can sort out a Fizik or something.

Looking forward to getting loose on mountain bike tracks on it and putting myself down a bank or something. Only ridden it on the road so far, doesnt feel much slower than the roadie, but way smoother. Will go get it sideways on some gravel tomorrow.

seriously considering one of these - at a significant higher price than other offerings I am considering
whats the verdict?
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 5/Mar/14 8:26am

I haven't really ridden much else like this, but on sealed roads and gravel it feels light and nimble but still a very comfy and stable bike. Still feels very planted even when fanging along gravel at 30+ km/h. Ridden it on some easier mtb tracks and it still didn't beat me up too much. I remember shmoodiver saying they are a bit flexy if you are a big guy, but I weigh a little under 80kg and it is solid enough for me. I do struggle a little with toe overlap pedalling around tight uphill switchbacks if I'm not careful, but I do so on any road/cross bike of this size so I don't think it is any worse than anything else. It is quite a small frame (I ride a 48cm which is a 54cm top tube from memory) and I have big mong feet, so if you are riding a bigger size it wouldn't be an issue.

It's not the lightest thing in the world - it's a hair under 10kg as shown there - but I generally prefer durability over anything else. Happy with it so far.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby musket on Wed 5/Mar/14 4:51pm

Nice, wachy.

I'll be interested how the Stans hold up - too light for me. I built up some old shape Arch's, they're mint.
mootsac.jpg
musket
Member for: 18 years 3 months

Mel
Member for: 18 years 10 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 18/Mar/14 6:46pm

I was keen on a Swiss Cross, but lack of discs put me off. That is niiiiice.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Datsane on Sat 19/Apr/14 12:57pm

When are you ordering the Black Disc frame?
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Mel on Sun 20/Apr/14 8:50pm

If it were red, I'd be on it so fast. But black? I'm tempted to wait a while and see what else appears. And I should try to take a year off from buying a new bike to help the bank account recover. :paranoid:
Mel

Postby Datsane on Mon 21/Apr/14 1:21pm

Hahaha
Datsane
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 21/Apr/14 1:49pm

Scotty

Postby ChumlyPogward on Sat 26/Apr/14 4:50pm

So I decided to crossify my disc trucker today, then went up evans pass, across Mt Vernon on the MTB track and down Rapaki. The best thing is the lol comments from random people when you hit the trails on a road bike. I am totally going to get a set of knobblies and hit more trails cos it was a bit tricky in parts with 60 psi on touring tyres :)

ChumlyPogward
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Cycling | Cyclocross | New Zealand | Post Your Bike | Regions - Latest Posts