Re: Show Us Your Cyclocross Bike.

Postby wachtourak on Tue 11/Feb/14 8:48pm

Finally got this all finished

Soma Double Cross Disc + Tange Prestige crabon fork and King BB + headset
Wheels = ZTR Iron Cross rims laced to XT hubs w/DT comps (running tubeless, will see how well that goes)
Drivetrain = Mix of Ultegra, 105 and CX70
Brakes = Shimano CX-77
Cockpit = Thomson Elite/FSA Energy wing compact bars

Excuse the lots of spacers til I figure out the bar height and the garbage saddle til I can sort out a Fizik or something.

Looking forward to getting loose on mountain bike tracks on it and putting myself down a bank or something. Only ridden it on the road so far, doesnt feel much slower than the roadie, but way smoother. Will go get it sideways on some gravel tomorrow.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 18 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 11/Feb/14 9:02pm

Sweet, look forward to seeing you pin it down Serendipity.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 11/Feb/14 9:08pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Sweet, look forward to seeing you bin it down Serendipity.

fixxored
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Postby yak71 on Wed 12/Feb/14 10:30am

wachtourak wrote:Finally got this all finished

Wheels = ZTR Iron Cross rims laced to XT hubs w/DT comps (running tubeless, will see how well that goes)
Brakes = Shimano CX-77

I really like that!
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Wed 12/Feb/14 11:12am

HOTT!
Oli
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 12/Feb/14 5:09pm

chur. Took it for a skid up makara peak today. Reminded me of first time mountain biking on a rigid bike with tyres that don't grip. Lulz. how does pick lines? Way too used to 150mm travel and 2.4" tyres...
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 12/Feb/14 8:01pm

Someone should do something about the lack of cyclocross trails around here goddammit.

Watchy - up transient etc to top tip track is a great cx climb. Honing down long gully to the coast is an option after that, or fence line to gold mine. Personally I like the pain of descending the tip track on my cx bike.

Lovely bike by the way. What ratios?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby wachtourak on Wed 12/Feb/14 9:29pm

46/36 up front with an 11-28 at the back, the 11-28 was good on mtb tracks but feels weird on the road as I am used to a 12-25 on the road bike. I'll see how it goes, if I feel up to it for all-round I might just try 12-27 on the back for some closer ratios
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby fatwombat on Sat 15/Feb/14 2:16am

Nice Soma, Wachy. You'll be glad of the extra small cog at the back with such small chainrings - do you have compact or standard cranks on the roadie?

Thanks all for your input; We finally decided on .... THIS!
jon - canondale CAADX 019.jpg

Sold to us by the Godfather of Welliington CX at Bike Hutt; Mike looked after Jon very well. 46/36 on the front, at Jon's request the 11-28 cassette was replaced with a 11-36 (Karapoti-friendly) cassette, which necessitated replacing the standard rear mech with a 9-speed XT one. As Jon couldn't skip school to pick the bike up, Mike couldn't set it up for him, but he got great advice and help with his set-up from the Godfathers of Wellington MTB - Ricky and Don at Mud.
jon - canondale CAADX 016.JPG

He's taken it for a test spin up Makara Peak tonight, on Sunday he's doing the tip track on it - Wachy, you get a special invitation to do it with him (but your Soma is probably too nice to take it rough and dirty places! :p )
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby fatwombat on Sat 15/Feb/14 2:51am

wachtourak wrote:Finally got this all finished
Brakes = Shimano CX-77

Are those tyres the 40mm Clement ones? How slippy or grippy are they - did you go up and down Snakecharmer when you tested it in Mak Pk? I was looking at those in Bike Hutt and I thought they might be better for Jon at Karapoti (rules there for CX allow up to 40mm rubber).
fatwombat

Postby foremannz on Sat 15/Feb/14 10:53am

Nice bike Fatwombat - I was considering one of those myself!
foremannz
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby fatwombat on Sat 15/Feb/14 1:43pm

foremannz wrote:Nice bike Fatwombat - I was considering one of those myself!

Cheers, yeah, Jon is blown away at the improvement over the Bianchi Leftovers bike. He didn't notice the ride being any more jarring on the aluminium frame than it was on the Tange steel, and he said the change from canti brakes to discs is such a huge improvement, it's like crossing to a different dimension.

The only drawback is the Sammy Slick tyres which are probably fine for commuting but total fail on unsealed hills - compared to the Maxxis Mud Wrestlers he had on the Bianchi. Easy enough to replace, but it would save $100+ if the bike shop sold it with better tyres.

So good luck selling your Avanti, the move to disc brakes is worth it. Your bike looks nice, I would have considered it for myself if I wasn't inheriting the Bianchi.
fatwombat

Postby wachtourak on Sat 15/Feb/14 9:58pm

Pete, I run standard 52/39 cranks on the roadie so it's a bit of a change.

And they are the Clement MXP 700x33. Don't think the Soma would fit 40mm. Didn't go up Snakecharmer the other day, just did a couple of loops of Koru/Lazy fern, it was a bit muddy but the cornering and climbing grip was adequate, just used to a lot more straight line braking grip etc coming off the mtb haha, that and running over even small tree-roots and rocks it would get pinged off line easily etc. My goal is to get down North Face on it at some point.

Lisa was going to get one of those Cannondales but we just landed some Merida cross bikes at work, she is getting the CX5 which has nicer wheels than the cheaper ones etc, it comes with 11sp Ultegra which is a bonus, but we are gonna swap the 11sp Ultegra to her road bike and put the 10sp 105 onto the cross bike.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby thorg on Sat 15/Feb/14 10:05pm

Watch the shimano hubs, the cones need welding to stop the freewheel from blowing apart.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 15/Feb/14 10:54pm

It's ok, he's got the proper credentials.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 18 years 5 months

Cycling | Cyclocross | New Zealand | Post Your Bike | Regions - Latest Posts