Should Rik fix gear his new bike?

Yes, with a long gear for maximum knee pain
6
21%
Yes, with a short gear for spinny goodness
2
7%
No, he should just singlespeed it
7
25%
No, he should leave it stock
13
46%
 
Total voters : 28

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby Monolith on Sat 24/Jan/09 7:47am

Datsane wrote:
wachtourak wrote:SS - for retards
Fixed - for even bigger retards

Why have all them extra gears when you push up all the hills any how :eh:



:D
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby JohnnyC on Sat 24/Jan/09 8:15am

Get a Eno hub and Fix it, that would be sweet as a fixie
JohnnyC
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 24/Jan/09 8:42am

+1 on the eno. nice bit of kit they are :thumbsup:
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby 123 on Sat 24/Jan/09 1:23pm

You won't be able to fix gear that. Half link will go under the pressure.
You will be lucky to get the tension correct unless you find a magic gear that fits perfectly.
Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit and my legs remained sore for weeks
123
Member for: 12 years 0 months

slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 24/Jan/09 2:18pm

123 wrote:You won't be able to fix gear that. Half link will go under the pressure.
You will be lucky to get the tension correct unless you find a magic gear that fits perfectly.
Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit and my legs remained sore for weeks


really?

I have run a half link chain on a fixed wheel bike for months and never had any issue. This was a chain that was all half links, BMX style

might I suggest that you need to ride a bit more as riding fixxed in town, does use different muscles, but it shouldn't take long to adapt to doing it
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby SlackBoy on Sat 24/Jan/09 4:31pm

123 wrote:Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit , but I was a bit of a pussy and my legs remained sore for weeks

fixxed that for you champ!
SlackBoy
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 24/Jan/09 4:34pm

SlackBoy wrote:
123 wrote:Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit , but I was a bit of a pussy and my legs remained sore for weeks

fixxed that for you champ!


:lol:
pushbikerider
User avatar
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby 123 on Sun 25/Jan/09 4:48pm

pushbikerider wrote:
123 wrote:You won't be able to fix gear that. Half link will go under the pressure.
You will be lucky to get the tension correct unless you find a magic gear that fits perfectly.
Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit and my legs remained sore for weeks


really?

I have run a half link chain on a fixed wheel bike for months and never had any issue. This was a chain that was all half links, BMX style

might I suggest that you need to ride a bit more as riding fixxed in town, does use different muscles, but it shouldn't take long to adapt to doing it


Was talking about a half link in a standard chain.
I was riding brakeless and I do believe it weakens your muscles trying to slow down.
123
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby musket on Sun 25/Jan/09 4:52pm

123 wrote:
pushbikerider wrote:
123 wrote:You won't be able to fix gear that. Half link will go under the pressure.
You will be lucky to get the tension correct unless you find a magic gear that fits perfectly.
Fix gear riding in town screws your legs as well, I did it for a bit and my legs remained sore for weeks


really?

I have run a half link chain on a fixed wheel bike for months and never had any issue. This was a chain that was all half links, BMX style

might I suggest that you need to ride a bit more as riding fixxed in town, does use different muscles, but it shouldn't take long to adapt to doing it


Was talking about a half link in a standard chain.
I was riding brakeless and I do believe it weakens your muscles trying to slow down.


No - it strengthens your muscles. Just HTFU!!! It might hurt initially, but once you adapt and strenthen it does wonders for your riding.

Hmmm. I've been meaning to get one of my fixies rolling again. I might need to do that tomorrow.
musket
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby Jim on Sun 25/Jan/09 6:03pm

Sounds like 123 was over developed one set of muscles, most proberly quads or had a bad fit on the fixie.



But then I could be wrong.
Jim
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby Monolith on Sun 25/Jan/09 7:06pm

Jim wrote:Sounds like 123 was over developed one set of muscles, most proberly quads or had a bad fit on the fixie.



But then I could be wrong.

Nah, my legs hurt like a bastard after the first few rides on my fixie, but after a couple of weeks the muscles developed and I don't get any more pain at all - infact I think it's made me stronger in my MTB riding as well. And to qualify this, I used to get sore riding with a front brake just to work and back (15K per day). Yesterday I did a touch over 200km brakeless with a couple of wee hills thrown in. Then rode into town for a mince today, and my legs feel just dandy. :)
Monolith
User avatar
"Look! I still walk away"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 25/Jan/09 9:56pm

Monolith wrote:
Jim wrote:Sounds like 123 was over developed one set of muscles, most proberly quads or had a bad fit on the fixie.



But then I could be wrong.

Nah, my legs hurt like a bastard after the first few rides on my fixie, but after a couple of weeks the muscles developed and I don't get any more pain at all - infact I think it's made me stronger in my MTB riding as well. And to qualify this, I used to get sore riding with a front brake just to work and back (15K per day). Yesterday I did a touch over 200km brakeless with a couple of wee hills thrown in. Then rode into town for a MINCE today, and my legs feel just DANDY. :)


you've been riding your fixie too much and are =rapidly turning ghay
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby Datsane on Mon 26/Jan/09 4:57pm

Fixie riding is great :thumbsup: I rode fixie for about 6 weeks the gains made in that short time frame shocked me.
Datsane
User avatar
"Chiave Inglese"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Re: Should Rik Fix Gear His Bike?

Postby specializedman on Mon 26/Jan/09 6:14pm

WTF fixie carbon race bike :ib:

Thats so retarded!

Wont somebody please think of the warranty!
specializedman
User avatar
"I am a very biking boy."
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Cycling | Fixed Gear | Road Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

40 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 38 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit

cron