"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Shopping List Of Mtb Basics

Postby Farm on Mon 9/Feb/15 7:47pm

wachtourak wrote:
Wobbler wrote:avoid anything made by crank brothers

:withstupid:

It will have some sweet packaging though

And a sticker that looks quite good on your toolbox.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby thelivo on Mon 9/Feb/15 7:56pm

Bag - Cactus Nort. You will need to get a bladder as well, but for no-nonsense long lasting you cant beat cactus.

Gloves - agree wholeheartedly with Troy Lee XC. I also like the troy lee ace if you want something a fair amount thinner.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:30pm

The most important thing has already been mentioned several times, get a helmet that fits.
Fashion/ looks should be way down the list of important features for a helmet, unless its that Scott endurpo thing, in which case it should die now... :hmmm:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:04pm

Flatz or Clipz??
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:20pm

tripalz
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Tue 10/Feb/15 8:14am

great uncle bulgaria wrote:Flatz or Clipz??

Also consider how many bottles you will need for Taupo.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Tue 10/Feb/15 9:37am

mfw wrote:

And what tyres are best for Karapoti/QC/Port Hilz/winter at Bottle Lake.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby fittzy on Tue 10/Feb/15 1:27pm

mfw wrote:

I'll leave Taupo to the other 105% of riders, thanks :)

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, this will keep me busy on google for a while, heh.
fittzy
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Tue 10/Feb/15 3:22pm

Percy Pig wrote:The most important thing has already been mentioned several times, get a helmet that fits.
Fashion/ looks should be way down the list of important features for a helmet, unless its that Scott endurpo thing, in which case it should die now... :hmmm:

I saw the coolest helmet ever the other day. It was a sort of skate-style one, but had vent holes. It was bright red with black dots and had antennae and wings so it so it looked like a ladybug.

I so wanted it but I was not strong enough to wrestle it off the three year old that was wearing it. :(
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 11/Feb/15 10:44pm

Henry Dorset Case wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:The most important thing has already been mentioned several times, get a helmet that fits.

I saw the coolest helmet ever the other day. It was a sort of skate-style one, but had vent holes. It was bright red with black dots and had antennae and wings so it so it looked like a ladybug.

I so wanted it but I was not strong enough to wrestle it off the three year old that was wearing it. :(

:D
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 14/Feb/15 8:25am

Heres my recommendation of brands:

Helmet: Bell or Giro, I have been disappointed with the rest
Hydration: I stick with Camelbak, as I've used them for years and I like how they are built - maybe a Mule or something similar.
Tire Pump: I have a Topeak Turbo Morph gauge, but I use it for multiple bikes - a Topeak Mountain Morph would be good IMO. I always keep this in my Camelbak for MTB rides.
Puncture Kits: I find puncture kits a pain in the ass. Get some park tools self adhesive patches for emergencies only, but take 2 spare tubes and use those first. As for tire levers, I don't fall for the gimmocky, and stick with standard alloy tire levers, but I only use them when necessary as I prefer to hand feed the tires on and off.
Multitools: I have a fancy multitool and its just overkill. My other is a Lifeline Essential 10 in 1, and this is brilliant because it has all the allen keys you need, a phillips and a flathead.
Seatbag: I don't use a seatbag because it gets covered in mud and water, then your zip dies quickly because its typically in the worst position. I keep everything in my Camelbak.

One other thing you may want to consider is a roll of insulation tape and a couple of decent cable ties - I've found in the past when I've broken my bike, having the ability to secure broken components saved me from having to do more damage, and allowed me to get home.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 14/Feb/15 10:11am

some thoughts - things i carry:
-avoid muc-off self adhesive patches. they suck. nothin' wrong with patch kits and glue. just gotta know how to use them properly
-i've got a crankbros mini tool that has survived okay for many years, but otherwise agreed with above. generally avoid.
-Lezyne pump ftw.
-those mini park tool chainbreakers are the bestest
-small triangular Park spoke-tool, just in case. less of a problem these days when you're not having to keep wheels straight through Vbrakes tho.
-tiny little eye-drop bottle with some (chainsaw bar-) lube in it for those rides when you forgot to lube your chain before you went out and by half way through the noise of the dry chain is driving you nuts.
-spare set of brake pads (and one of those plastic wedge type things for pushing pads apart when changing them)
-arm / knee warmers - incase it gets a bit chilly
-space blanket for emergencies
-2 anti-histamine pills (also for emergencies)--> very important if you're riding in beech forest in the summer. stung? chew those suckers, it gets them into your system faster.
-dark chocolate covered coffee beans, soft-dried bananas, tamari almonds... and a One Square Meal. all the nutrition you need.
-agreed on the Giro or Bell helments.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Sat 14/Feb/15 10:39am

I never signed up to the spare brake pad gang. I've always seen them as a regular maintenance item. Do they have they ability to fail part way through a ride?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Mel on Sat 14/Feb/15 11:20am

I will also add a vote for the Cactus Nort. I have the Zero (previous model) and it is the most comfortable pack I've owned. I don't care for all the extras on other packs.

I have a POC Trabec helmet, chosen because it fit the best and gave me good coverage at the back of my head. I'm also using the POC gloves and they are perfect - no padding and no bunching, full finger coverage but not hot.

And I'll add another vote for Tifosi glasses. I have two sets of frames and four sets of lenses, so always have a combo to suit the riding conditions. :cool:
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Cycling | New to Cycing - Latest Posts