Re: Shimano Alfine Hub 11-speed On A Trail Bike

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 21/Aug/14 9:16am

+1 for the Helius, I've lusted for one of those for ages.

Not gonna happen till I find a winning lotto ticket on the footpath but.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby bikedog on Thu 21/Aug/14 7:04pm

I seem to be getting the felling that you guy's/girls believe the 11 speed is a better unit than the 8 speed ?

The 8 speed is more bullet proof ?

I'm not buyong a bike for competition, or to break speed records. So I suppose the cheaper 8 speed is all I need ?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 11 months

Postby Danny B on Thu 21/Aug/14 8:42pm

From what I've heard - from mechanics that I trust - the 8 speed is a more robust and reliable unit. I think a lot of peps prefer it for that reason alone.
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 22/Aug/14 10:01am

bikedog wrote:I seem to be getting the felling that you guy's/girls believe the 11 speed is a better unit than the 8 speed ?

The 8 speed is more bullet proof ?

I'm not buyong a bike for competition, or to break speed records. So I suppose the cheaper 8 speed is all I need ?

same conclusion i got to. 8 speed was less than a third of the price at the time i bought mine, and less servicing required and less finicky.
but, less range, only 300% vs 400% (vs Rohloff 500%). which, for me, is plenty...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby wongear on Sun 24/Aug/14 7:44pm

8 works well, if you want to run a sram shifter with this hub, pm me as I got a few plates made up from a nice man in china.
wongear
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby OFFcourse on Mon 25/Aug/14 2:03pm

Would have to agree on the Alfine8's being bullet proof, I've got over 2000 km on mine, mud, rain, salt water, beaches, touring, trails everything even a few full ocean submersions sweet as.
OFFcourse
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts