Postby Clarky on Thu 19/Aug/04 8:35am

Congrats.

Just as well you and Dinsy dressed up like 80's rockers and rolled those Chump rentacops doing that ATM refill.
Clarky
Member for: 16 years 11 months

Postby VERT on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:13am

Its a good feeling having spent most of ones money and energy building a current project. I finished my Keewee last week but it has been in the shop with repairs to the brand new forks :( But I do get it back today, yay!
I am sure you will be hanging out almost to the point of beyond insanity to ride you bikes, I know I have.
Very much looking forward to seeing pictures of what you have done with you bikes.
VERT
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby Tama on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:19am

VERT wrote:Its a good feeling having spent most of ones money and energy building a current project. I finished my Keewee last week but it has been in the shop with repairs to the brand new forks :( But I do get it back today, yay!
I am sure you will be hanging out almost to the point of beyond insanity to ride you bikes, I know I have.
Very much looking forward to seeing pictures of what you have done with you bikes.
Yar - I saw your bike hanging up in the workshop - bummer about the forks Vert.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby 1scotty1 on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:35am

One day when i am president of vorb I will have three bikes each with new forks. In the meantime I will read Trade and Exchange in the hope of buying second hand Alivio Derailleurs and Milazo frames.
On the bright side, my bike has tyres.
1scotty1
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Tama on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:41am

1scotty1 wrote:One day when i am president of vorb I will have three bikes each with new forks. In the meantime I will read Trade and Exchange in the hope of buying second hand Alivio Derailleurs and Milazo frames.
On the bright side, my bike has tyres.
Being President of Vorb doesn't mean I get enough money to spend up large. Very much the opposite - in fact, with the amount of my money that went into Vorb over the last year to keep it running l could buy an...

...Intense EVP frame...

...and have change left over...

...no, the reason I can spend loads of money on bikes is because I'm a financial retard who slaves very hard in IT and uses my hard-earned moolah on personal fulfilment, rather than saving for a house deposit - which would be the sensible thing.

Bah, sensible.
Tama

Postby banga on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:43am

My frame arrived this morning, and my new sram stuff, shame I have to be at school all day today and work all day tomorrow before I can build it.
:) mmmmmmmmm root beer.
banga
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Muzza on Thu 19/Aug/04 3:19pm

Now you've spend a good few hours on your cromoTOZE, how do you rate it?
Muzza
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Tama on Thu 19/Aug/04 3:28pm

Muzza wrote:Now you've spend a good few hours on your cromoTOZE, how do you rate it?
Here's what I wrote in another post to the same question:
Tama wrote:I built up a Cromotoze at the end of January with Sherman Flicks, XT/D521 wheelset, SRAM X.9, and Saint Cranks.

I've shuttled on it, heli-biked on it, fucked around on it, night ridden on it, ridden to my girlfriends house on it, slammed it through ruts, rocks, mud and even snow and yesterday I rode it 70km - most of which was off road.

It rocks - thought for what you're wanting to do I'd put on 7" forks.

To do it justice you need 6"+ up front, with that in place it's a superb bike. If I was nit-picking I could say the following:
* You need to run wide cranks (I run Saints) as the chain stays flare out more than usual.
* The cable routing for the front derailleur is a bit convoluted and prone to mud collection.

...and that's the only negative points I can think of - it rides beautifully and I reckon it will last many many years of abusive riding.
Tama

Postby Colin on Thu 19/Aug/04 3:51pm

Tama wrote:rather than saving for a house deposit - which would be the sensible thing.

Bah, sensible.

Banish all thoughts of house deposits from your mind.

Acknowledging them as an alternative to bike bling is heresy. Suggesting it may be sensible (even with your cavalier bahumbug to sensible) is positively dangerous.

Before you know what’s happened you will be married with three kids living in your own house* in Tawa and the only bike in your life will be a plastic Thomas the Tank Engine ride-on with a broken wheel.

You must as soon as possible get out and ride – get muddy. These are evil thoughts and you must ride to exhaustion in order to expunge them. Life as you want it, or even as you know it may disappear.

:D

* or at least the house the Bank is kind enough for you and yours to live in.
Colin

Postby Sean on Thu 19/Aug/04 3:52pm

does it like to jump off cliffs?
Sean

Postby Tama on Thu 19/Aug/04 4:12pm

Sean wrote:does it like to jump off cliffs?
Nope - whilst the Mavericks are half the weight of my other fork option (Slider+s) strangely they're not designed for hucking off cliffs.

Hmmm... mental picture of bike with huck-worthy rear end, and not-designed-for-hucking front end landing from great height... :crazy:
Tama

Postby atsunD on Thu 19/Aug/04 4:13pm

Sounds like you did the right thing to me - I'm a long way off a new house too - all of a sudden it's next season and there's new bling to buy - Bah sensible indeed.
It's a shame the bike industry isn't as lucrative as the IT industry (god knows it should be)else we'd all be living the dream being bike mechanics for a couple of hours a day playing with bikes and then riding for the rest of the day aye?

I'm interested to hear how the Mavericks work out too.
cher to the chair
JB
atsunD
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Sean on Thu 19/Aug/04 4:20pm

I somehow have a house, not too sure how that happened?
But instead of being able to rush out and buy a new frame I have to consider the house. :(

I just can't wait 'till I older and I can bust out a RAM (reverse annuity(sp?) mortgage!!!!

Cromozone is looking like the ticket at the mo!
Sean

Postby mtbrat on Thu 19/Aug/04 8:56pm

I going to the grave owing a shit load of money if I can help it and blowing it all on stuff I wanna play with and holidays to far flung places

and hell the worst thing that they can do is bring me back from the dead to pay it off and that's not too bad

I'll let you know how I get on

:eh:
mtbrat
"HUUUGE Tracts of land"
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby Jono on Thu 19/Aug/04 9:02pm

clarkster wrote:Just as well you and Dinsy dressed up like 80's rockers and rolled those Chump rentacops doing that ATM refill.

For some reason I can't get the image of dinsy as a bay city roller out of my head...

...dinsy...how do you look in tartan?
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"

Cycling | Lower North Island | New Zealand | Regions | Wellington Region - Latest Posts