Re: Santos Tour Down Under

Postby Oli on Sun 24/Jan/10 7:19pm

Looked to me like it was planned - the leadout was for CJ?
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby gydey on Sun 24/Jan/10 7:24pm

am at work so havent seen it yet...hope to talk to him soon...
gydey
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 24/Jan/10 7:27pm

Zaphod wrote:
disoriented wrote:Today stage is live on sky sport 3, on now.

I wish Sky had put it in their programming. It's a bit off when they just randomly stick it on. If I'd known it was on I certainly would have watched it. I was bored off my arse yesterday :angry:

I posted the times and channels days ago in this thread. Stop yer whinging!
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Oli on Sun 24/Jan/10 7:32pm

cyclingnews.com wrote:January 24, Stage 6: Adelaide 90km
Sutton secures Sky's second

By: Cycling NewsPublished: January 24, 04:59, Updated: January 24, 05:21
Greipel becomes second double victor

Team Sky proved dominate in the closing lap of the Tour Down Under’s Adelaide circuit race, landing Chris Sutton his first ProTour stage victory. Sutton’s stage victory bookends a successful debut for the new British outfit, with the outfit reversing its pre-race criterium result to finish with Sutton leading Greg Henderson across the line for a Team Sky one-two.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said Sutton. “We spoke about our tactics last night and had a meeting again this morning, it’s all about teamwork. I just went as long as I could, if Hendy could come around, he would.”

“We’re a new team, everyone’s working well together,” said Sutton. “Greg said at the start of the week he thinks we’ve got one of the fastest trains here. I’m still young, I’m 25, I’m here to learn off guys like Greg Henderson and Matthew Hayman.”

Sutton’s family was watching near the finish line as the New South Welshman claimed his victory. Sutton doesn’t think Henderson was holding back to repay Sutton’s favour, after the rider sat up and let Henderson pass him in last Sunday’s criterium.

“I don’t think he would have held back,” said Sutton. “I think Greg got a little bit sandwiched, I’m not sure. I just went as long as I could. It’s teamwork, it’s not just my effort.

“I just went and saw my old man at the top of the hill and my sister said he nearly had a heart attack so I hope he’s okay,” laughed Sutton.

Graeme Brown (Rabobank) secured third place in the sprint from compatriot Robbie McEwen (Team Katusha).

Full report, results and photos to follow.

Results

1 Chris Sutton (Aus) Team Sky
2 Greg Henderson (NZl) Team Sky
3 Graeme Brown (Aus) Rabobank
4 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Team Katusha
5 Andre Greipel (Ger) HTC-Columbia
6 Allan Davis (Aus) Astana
7 Matthew Goss (Aus) HTC-Columbia
8 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Francaise Des Jeux
9 Gert Steegmans (Bel) RadioShack
Oli
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 24/Jan/10 8:56pm

Hendy finished up 3rd on GC... kudos to to Julz who finished 15th and Roly (33rd) who did a great job in his first outing for Colombia setting up Griepel for teh win. :thumbsup:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby istepinyards on Sun 24/Jan/10 9:26pm

Tugboat wrote:Hendy finished up 3rd on GC... kudos to to Julz who finished 15th and Roly (33rd) who did a great job in his first outing for Colombia setting up Griepel for teh win. :thumbsup:

So what you are trying to say is Tour Down Under is a sprinters paradise but despite a train Henderson gets rolled by a climber/TTer :satan: He has to worry about that and wearing a disgrace of a team kit. :satan:
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby istepinyards on Sun 24/Jan/10 9:30pm

Apart from the jest above Henderson and Griepel showed some serious acceleration this week. All bods well for the rest of the season. More results for NZ :thumbsup: Just as long as GB smash the toilet out of AUS and NZ combined :)
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby wolffman1 on Sun 24/Jan/10 11:42pm

I was down there this afternoon, and it was a pretty good race, with some comedy afterwards.
First Greipal cut in front of an Astana rider to get to the rest of the columbia riders and the Astana rider goes straight over the top of the handle bars. Probably best not to cause a scene with the leader of the race right in front of the cameras.
Then after Sutton finally made it back to the tv interview after seeing his folks, the camera motorbike rolled straight over his back wheel. Crunch, oops, never mind, hey Matt give me your back wheel.
DSC_1159_1513.jpg
Henderson picking up the first sprint points
DSC_1166_1520.jpg
Points and time in the bag, hope no one sees me in this suit
DSC_1171_1525.jpg
Big Jens in a break away
DSC_1275_1629.jpg
Timothy Roe and Armstrong
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby rochie on Wed 27/Jan/10 11:17am

Brilliant week riding and watching the TDU. Got a good view of starts, KOM's and finishes - just rode out from town to them. Nice hotmix road surfaces, some good hills, and polite motorists. Interesting to note riding around that ALL cyclists stop at ALL red lights. Weather pretty warm - the 160km stage 4 peoples ride I did was a 6 bottler. Even though we started an hour early at 5:30am. Legends dinner with Lance/Cadel/Bobridge/Mquaid/Sherwen/Leggett. Got my hat signed by Greipel (thanks mat!). Before this I had no idea that Adelaide was any good for riding - will be there for sure next year! Had a go at the Mt Lofty hill climb but nothing to brag about.
Stage2-David Kemp KOM Old checker Hill rd 2.JPG
David Kemp takes stage 2 KOM Old Checker Hill
Stage 1-13 Timothy Roe KOM Menglers Hill.JPG
Timothy Row takes stage 1 KOM Menglers Hil
Stage3-3 Stu 2.JPG
Stu signing on stage 3
Stage3-6 Cadel and Joey.JPG
Cadel signing on stage 3 - thinks "how am I gonna fit this frikkkin kangaroo in my jersey pocket?!"
Stage3-10 Lance.JPG
Lance signing on stage 3
Stage3-12 Robbie.JPG
Robbie signing on stage 3
Stage3-20.JPG
Stage 3 start
Stage3-35 Team Warmup Watching the start.JPG
Warmup watching stage 3 start - sorry boys you won't sell much underfloor heating in Adelaide!
Stage 1-58 Greipel Wins.JPG
Greipel wins stage 1 in Tanunda
Stage 1-62.JPG
Stage 1 finish - Tanunda
rochie
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby wolffman1 on Wed 27/Jan/10 11:47pm

rochie wrote:Brilliant week riding and watching the TDU. Got a good view of starts, KOM's and finishes - just rode out from town to them. Nice hotmix road surfaces, some good hills, and polite motorists. Interesting to note riding around that ALL cyclists stop at ALL red lights. Weather pretty warm - the 160km stage 4 peoples ride I did was a 6 bottler. Even though we started an hour early at 5:30am. Legends dinner with Lance/Cadel/Bobridge/Mquaid/Sherwen/Leggett. Got my hat signed by Greipel (thanks mat!). Before this I had no idea that Adelaide was any good for riding - will be there for sure next year! Had a go at the Mt Lofty hill climb but nothing to brag about.

Good to see you enjoyed it. I've been in Radelaide for a couple of years now, and the riding here is tremendous. We get a few people travel in for the racing and everyone seems to have a great time and are very surprised how good the riding is. Good roads, good country hills riding, all very close to the city.
Not sure where you saw people stopping at traffic lights though. i would still put that at most rather than all.
That friday ride was a bit of a toughie, especially that long straight road out of Milang into the headwind. Apparently there were about 200 people who needed medical attention and IV drips that day.
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby johnenthuse on Tue 16/Feb/10 10:13am

I've got lots of footage and coverage from this years Santos Tour Down Under on the enthusue Youtube channel - everything from chats with Hayden Roulston to lance and the boys on the Kiwi Style Bikes Tours trip! chck out http://www.youtube.com/user/enthuse01
johnenthuse
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby johnenthuse on Tue 16/Feb/10 10:15am

check out my chat with Hayden Roulston on the bike at the TDU http://www.youtube.com/user/enthuse01#p ... YqJR53dvY4
johnenthuse

Postby johnenthuse on Tue 16/Feb/10 10:16am

Climbing Willunga Hill at the Santos Tour Down 2010Under 2010 http://www.youtube.com/user/enthuse01#p ... 8Az_z77bIE
johnenthuse

Australia | Cycling | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts