Re: Santos Tour Down Under

Postby Oli on Wed 20/Jan/10 10:55pm

He would have won if Greipel wasn't ahead of him! :o
Oli
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 20/Jan/10 10:57pm

I knows... someone should tell ze German that we won the war. Greipel needs to respect some authoritah. :hmmm:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby gydey on Thu 21/Jan/10 7:38am

Hmmm, Greipel is strong... I hope Hendy gets a good crack at him today... so that he doesnt have to chase intermediate sprints to close the gap...but in saying that...Hendy is a tough nut and is capable of the hard yards as well as the fast stuff!! I am still picking Hendy..but hey..us kiwis are biased :-)
gydey
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 21/Jan/10 10:32am

Tugboat wrote:Hendy was impressive in the sprint to come from a long way back to snatch second from McEwen.. Fuck the lead in was messy though... surprised there wasn't carnage in the last couple of kms.

I thought Greipel and Henderson both showed awesome power to accelerate through the chaos and take line honours. The Sky train generally seems to be working but the other teams seem to fall apart - Columbia were so dominant in the TdF last year, they didn't allow other teams to get a look-in, but in the 3 races this week Sky have blown them away. I wonder what that implies for Mark Cavendish this year . . . he might end up wishing he'd focused on the Commonwealth Games instead! :)
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby psyclist on Thu 21/Jan/10 11:34am

fatwombat wrote:
Tugboat wrote:Hendy was impressive in the sprint to come from a long way back to snatch second from McEwen.. Fuck the lead in was messy though... surprised there wasn't carnage in the last couple of kms.

I thought Greipel and Henderson both showed awesome power to accelerate through the chaos and take line honours. The Sky train generally seems to be working but the other teams seem to fall apart - Columbia were so dominant in the TdF last year, they didn't allow other teams to get a look-in, but in the 3 races this week Sky have blown them away. I wonder what that implies for Mark Cavendish this year . . . he might end up wishing he'd focused on the Commonwealth Games instead! :)

There was a thread a little while ago on whether Cavendish would be as successful at winning without a dominant train. I think Greipel is showing that it can be done. Robbie McEwen had an interesting tactic in stage two. Without a decent Katusha train he just bumped Hendy out of the way to take Chris Sutton's wheel. Ha ha - bloody cheeky Aussie!

Quote from Henderson
“We mixed in with Columbia for the lead-out, then the boys just went full gas with one kilometre to go,” said Henderson. “Chris Sutton couldn’t quite get in front, then McEwen came and bashed me off CJ’s wheel, so I’m not really sure what he was up to there. I might have to ask him later on.”
psyclist
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby fatwombat on Thu 21/Jan/10 12:34pm

Robbie McEwen never had a team with a train, he built his whole career by sneaking into other people's trains and "bashing them off the lead-out wheel" or just powering up the side of the field. Mostly it worked for him, but he had a few FAILs as well - last year on the Tour Down Under he nearly broke his arm when a spectator leaned out to take a photo as he was hitting 70kmh up the side. And he was disqualified from TdF stages from time to time for overcompetitive sprinting - Stu O'Grady refused to be in the same team with him at the Olympics one year because they'd clashed in TdF. Robbie my hero, you hard bastard!! :D
fatwombat

Postby psyclist on Thu 21/Jan/10 12:46pm

I wonder how teams counter these tactics? Would Chris Sutton have been aware that Henderson had been "bumped" and he was in fact leading out his rival. There must be some etiquette in the peleton which says you shouldn't do that? Maybe Robbie cares more about winning than etiquette?

Henderson did well to still come 2nd, despite these dubious tactics.

You can see how they have horrendous crashes! No wonder Roulston likes been out of it at this point of the race.
psyclist
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby sifter on Thu 21/Jan/10 5:08pm

cyclingnews.com wrote:Well this is a shock, the horrible kit wins: Manuel Cardoso (Footon Servetto)
sifter
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Hogan on Thu 21/Jan/10 7:28pm

psyclist wrote:I wonder how teams counter these tactics? Would Chris Sutton have been aware that Henderson had been "bumped" and he was in fact leading out his rival. There must be some etiquette in the peleton which says you shouldn't do that? Maybe Robbie cares more about winning than etiquette?

Henderson did well to still come 2nd, despite these dubious tactics.

You can see how they have horrendous crashes! No wonder Roulston likes been out of it at this point of the race.

Robbie can do what he wants, it is up to Hendy to keep his spot in the stack. No dubious tactics just bike racing. Always good to watch.
Hogan
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Thu 21/Jan/10 10:07pm

Is there traditionally a crunch day on this tour? I.e. one where Greipel and Henderson get shot down GC, and what we'd normally call 'GC riders' come to the fore?
nostromo
":-("

Postby istepinyards on Thu 21/Jan/10 10:11pm

Wilunga.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Tugboat on Thu 21/Jan/10 10:15pm

Not really... it's a sprinters race traditionally. Even on Saturday, which is regarded as the hardest day with two climbs over Willunga Hill, there's enough distance from the top of the climb to the finish for teams to protect their leaders and get them back in touch with the front of the race.

I don't think any breaks will be allowed to succeed. Colombia showed yesterday that even an 11.30 lead will get swallowed up pretty quickly. They seem content to just let a few non-contenders for the GC from other teams go up the road and collect all the intermediate time-bonuses (thus declining Hendy or Steegmans the opportunity to perhaps snaffle back some time if the peloton was all together) and then reel them back in to do the business at the finish.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby fatwombat on Thu 21/Jan/10 11:42pm

It's a shame. Mt Lofty looked like a fantastic place for today's stage to finish. I thought that was a cute move by LA to fake an attack on one side of the road so his teammate (was that Stegemans?) could get away unmarked on the right.

And what was Tugboat's ex-avatar doing? he said he was there to help his teammates, but he was the only BMC rider at the end, and then he didn't give it enough to win (or even hold off Valverde). Is he foxing, is he trying to win it on the sneaky? Maybe he promised the stage to George Hincapie but then tried to take it himself because Hincapie stood on his f****ng dog? ;)
fatwombat

Postby gydey on Fri 22/Jan/10 9:35am

valverde is the threat to GC, if Greipel and Hendy falter. It will be a challenge for both to get over the climbs..but I think they both will, with the support during and after the climb.

Hogan is right..Hendy shouldnt have been bumped off the wheel, but knowing Hendy..it wont happen again :-)
gydey
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby fatwombat on Fri 22/Jan/10 11:16pm

If a rider is right on the leadout wheel that's right, nobody can barge him out of the line with a shoulder, but if he slips back half a bike length and leaves a gap, then anyone can dive in . . . and will! Wombatessa learnt that clearly at the Canty Track Carnival, you have to work/fight to hold your place in the line.

But it became moot today, Hendy wasn't in the front row at all, in fact the whole Sky train seemed to have taken the day off. Robbie McEwen's looking stronger each day, but I think he's left it too late to challenge Greipel for either jersey - 24 seconds is a lot to claw back in 2 finishes, and Robbie's enver been renowned for his climbing, he used to be the conductor of the TdF autobus.

I'm hoping for a wet Saturday so I can stay home and watch Stage 5 live!! :)
fatwombat

Australia | Cycling | Regions | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts