Re: Saddle Choice For Brevet, Selle Smp Vs Specy

Postby Simonius_Titius on Fri 22/Nov/13 1:54pm

mfw wrote:Thanks to all for the quality feedback!

... for an endurance rider seems almost a right of back passage to have a box full of saddles after failed experiments :rolleyes:

:D
Right of passage is permission to pass through.
A rite of passage is a ritual associated with passing, e.g. sailors had one for people passing between hemispheres for their first time.
It is possible for both terms to apply to the same event, as with someof the Roast Busters antics.

Cracked saddle: I'd think the retailer should replace it under the Consumer Guarantees Act.
Put it in a clear snaplock bag with a note with your full contact details and a request for replacement. Mention that you have heard of other Gobi saddles which cracked.
Write that this is a claim under CGA not warranty, unless it is still in warranty. If you make it clear that you are not going to be blown off with "out of warranty" the distro will be more motivated to replace the saddle so as to keep the retailer happy.

There will be a manuf date stamp on the shell, but both warranty and CGA "reasonable life" start from the date of sale.
Last edited by Simonius_Titius on Sat 23/Nov/13 2:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simonius_Titius
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby phunk on Fri 22/Nov/13 8:56pm

Just checked my gobi and sure enough is cracked in the same place.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby danose on Sat 23/Nov/13 5:03am

phunk wrote:Just checked my gobi and sure enough is cracked in the same place.

someone else who needs to lay off the pies! :satan:

I've got 3, all high mileage and fine - only one I had to replace was due to cumulative crash damage (got so the munched up 'fingers' at the edge were eating short)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Slim on Sat 23/Nov/13 8:54am

Exactly, less pies Phunk. My one is fine :lol:
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby mfw on Sun 24/Nov/13 8:17pm

OK first up is a Spec'y Romin, got for a bargain $50 from a bike shop that sold a Speccy Tarmac and owner did an immediate seat swap.
I can only guess it is a non evo (wider nose) model? because it doesn't have 'evo' on it anywhere.

Stuck on roadie to start with, first test was today, Picton to Nelson via Queen Charlotte. 106km, 3200m climbing, and flippin hot but nice ride :)

Seat looked, and felt frickin hard, felt pressure on my sit bones immediately, but 4 hours later in Nelson I was noticing toasted legs but not the seat which is a good sign eh?

Might be a go'er for Brevet but it's a fail for general MTB'ing as the seat nose is way too sharp IMO.
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby LaPommeDeTere on Tue 26/Nov/13 1:59pm

I just fitted a Adamo Century X.

Its been well received by many in the UMCA, and Ive found it to be perfect. :)
LaPommeDeTere
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby scatter on Tue 26/Nov/13 2:06pm

mfw wrote:Seat looked, and felt frickin hard, felt pressure on my sit bones immediately, but 4 hours later in Nelson I was noticing toasted legs but not the seat which is a good sign eh?

Oh yeah, my Speshy road seat is hard as. I can't sit on it without chamois and everytime I ride, it takes a couple of minutes for my bones to accept it. However, after 4+ hrs on the bike, lady garden is fine (the legs however :huh: )
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Simonk on Tue 26/Nov/13 10:20pm

Really hard decision to make. You're probably going to end up with raw sit bones or numb family jewels, but hopefully not both. If the saddle is too hard, you'll get bruised sit bones faster. If the saddle is too soft, it'll result in extra pressure between the sit bones.

Whatever saddle you choose, here are some tips:
- Reduce 'wear and tear out rear' by standing regularly and walking the steep climbs.
- Alternate using chamios cream and talc (especially whenever it gets stinking hot).
- If it's not hot, consider wearing two pairs of padded shorts at the same time. Don't do this when it's hot or you'll stew your bits even faster than normal.
- Obviously spend lots of time in the saddle before the event (with a pack on to add to the weight on your arse, hands and feet).
- try to carry a minimum of weight on your back during the Brevet.
- Run low tyre pressures (like 25 PSI with 2 inch tyres)
- Try to set up your aero bars nice and high to reduce pressure at the front of the saddle.
- Expect it to hurt (you will not be alone!)
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Eljefe on Wed 4/Dec/13 9:00am

Heres a couple more tips.
1. If you have two pair of shorts that you alternate daily, (washing one pair each night) make sure the chamois designs are different so the seams are in a different place each day.
2. Travel with a buddy with the same sized seat-post diameter and different seats. Swap seats/posts after 3 days. The hot-spots will be in a completely different place.
3. Ibruprufen is amazing. I and several others discovered this by mistake after popping one for a head-ache. Butt pain disappeared.

I just got a Gobi saddle and I love it. I am a bit worried that it is too comfy tho. Might cause too many hot spots. I have also heard that they eventually all crack in the base too. My next fave saddle is a specialized Toupe.
Eljefe
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Flynnster on Fri 24/Jan/14 12:22pm

I'm in the market for a speccy toupe or equivalent (the romin looks reasonably similar). Does anyone have any experience with the romin and/or the toupe, and how they compare? I had a quick look at the LBS and did a double take over the price of a romin pro ($290). Anyone got any deals/specials going anywhere?

Thanks all.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Eljefe on Fri 24/Jan/14 12:25pm

I replaced my Gobi with my specialized toupe. The gobi was too soft for real long hours for me. Ive had a watch on trademe for most of the year and found diddley squat : )
Eljefe
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby tanadog on Sat 25/Jan/14 10:38am

I was tossing up between a Toupe and a Romin for the GSB. After much testing of lenders from Coppins, I decided to go for the Romin Evo Comp Gel. The gel for an extra wee bit of comfort.
Was v happy with result, some chafing but not outright painful and sore. Was really good or the first 2 days especially, then starting using some ibuprofen too, and that helped. Was riding a fully tho. Those on hard tails were in a worse state.
I found getting fitted for width was the key for me - ended up on a wider saddle than I've ever ridden before and was totally the right choice. Looking after your butt at night & having a different set of knicks is a good idea I reckon ....
tanadog
Member for: 6 years 7 months

Postby RugbySucks on Sat 25/Jan/14 11:29am

Eljefe wrote:Heres a couple more tips.
1. If you have two pair of shorts that you alternate daily, (washing one pair each night) make sure the chamois designs are different so the seams are in a different place each day.
2. Travel with a buddy with the same sized seat-post diameter and different seats. Swap seats/posts after 3 days. The hot-spots will be in a completely different place.
3. Ibruprufen is amazing. I and several others discovered this by mistake after popping one for a head-ache. Butt pain disappeared.

I just got a Gobi saddle and I love it. I am a bit worried that it is too comfy tho. Might cause too many hot spots. I have also heard that they eventually all crack in the base too. My next fave saddle is a specialized Toupe.

Ibuprofen is great for inflammation, and pain relief.

Downside, is that if you are prone to Asthma, it will exacerbate this (according to Doctor), and that it is also very hard on your Liver and Kidneys.

I currently have a "6 day old" dislocated shoulder, so am getting to know a bit about pain relief.

Best thing for your butt, is get measured at a bike shop, and get the right width, for starters. This has been recommended to me by LBS, and has proved spot on. My recent rides on my hardtail 29er, have been 70+ km each, with no problems, after taking seat advice.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 25/Jan/14 1:05pm

Eljefe wrote:3. Ibruprufen is amazing. I and several others discovered this by mistake after popping one for a head-ache. Butt pain disappeared.

I'm going to go ahead and quote this mildly out of context.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Silverback on Sat 25/Jan/14 2:32pm

My saddle of choice for the Brevet started wearing through at the stitching and Speccy have discontinued it. It was the "best" saddle , Phenom gel Ti, it has gel inserts on thin racing saddle with flexy wings, a good shape, cutout and best of all a supersoft padded nose. I was gutted and started casting about for a Brevet perch 6mnths ago. I bought a cheap plush Selle Italia Flow XO for $50 from T7. After plenty of training rides up to 13hrs and multi days I've decided to stick with it. Its ok.After rifleing through my chamois drawer I have however spent up on 2 pairs of good shorts and can say that the Ground Effect Exocets are fantastic and probably contribute more to butt health and comfort than my saddle choice.
A note of caution about Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory use- NSAI's (colloquially called Vitamin V by habitual users) when overused in endurance events combined with injury and dehydration have a known history of causing renal failure. If you are using these without a prescription be conservative and drink heaps.
Silverback
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling - Latest Posts