Re: Saddle Choice For Brevet, Selle Smp Vs Specy

Postby scatter on Wed 20/Nov/13 7:05pm

Saddles are so personal.
Me & my smashed up ischial tuberosity currently get along with Speshy saddles but on one narrower than their bum guide indicates for me.

I'd almost put quality chamois above saddle choice actually.....
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Wed 20/Nov/13 7:17pm

scatter wrote:I'd almost put quality chamois above saddle choice actually…..

+1
I seem to be happy on any saddle as long as theres a bit of a cutout and a castelli chamois between me and it (long days on random borrowed bikes with no problems).
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Danny B on Thu 21/Nov/13 8:41am

I have a Brooks B17 Special on my Gravel Racer. A bike that I built for 100km+ days on backcountry roads. Its an excellent saddle and is far more comfortable that my other padded plastic shell saddles for looonnng rides. I previously used standard B17 saddles and found that the leather is thinner and thus they have a lot more bounce in them, which is something I didn't like. And by comparison the Brooks Swift was too firm for my liking (like a proper racing saddle firm). Obviously, the downside of leather is that you will wear off the top layer of leather if you ride them in the wet without a saddle cover; but I'm fairly sure that they come with a saddle cover as standard so that's not a problem as long as you remember to take it with you!

I don't know if they fit your budget but the new synthetic, canvas over rubber, 'Cambium' Brooks (C17) saddles might be good for the Brevet.

Anyway I like the B17 and would pick it over a SMP, WTB, Fizik or Spesh saddle any day of the week - *for that application, that is.

And as others have said, a good set on knicks is mandatory.

- Danny
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Postby sifter on Thu 21/Nov/13 8:48am

znomit wrote:
scatter wrote:I'd almost put quality chamois above saddle choice actually…..

+1
I seem to be happy on any saddle as long as theres a bit of a cutout and a castelli chamois between me and it (long days on random borrowed bikes with no problems).

I'm sure it's a complex combination of three factors: saddle + chamois + bum. I've got one of the first and last, and many of the second, and there are one pair in particular that really do it for me (to the tune of 4800km in a month with no issues - and only 4 proper washes...!!!!) The "best quality" chamois I have gives me issues in short order.
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby ringo on Thu 21/Nov/13 8:00pm

Yep, definitely a personal thing.

My experience is that it comes down to a magic combination of width and roundness/flatness, coupled with how high the bars are in relation to the saddle.

I like saddles that are not too narrow and not too flat but not too round. Somewhere in between.

For example, for me, Gobi is a bit narrow and flat for me to be comfy seated for a long period of time. I have a Brooks B17 Special which is for commuting and long distance gravel. Very comfy and not a massive break in period. More or less fine out of the box. better after 400km. Thinner leather than the Swift, which was a bit too narrow for me.

B17 isn't so good if you are in a racy road position because the top has a bit of a square edge than cuts into thighs if you are in the drops a lot. But lovely on the tops and drops with a bar that is slightly below saddle height.

Mtb saddle of choice is Sdg Belair RL Ti. Did a four day mtb stage race on it and no arse complaints

Road saddle of choice is old Selle Italia Turbomatc Quattro.

I hate the process of trial and error associated with new saddles!
ringo
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby Ahad on Thu 21/Nov/13 8:50pm

I got a SLR Xc super flow for my mtb to replace an old saddle for a recent 6hr. I do a lot more riding on the roadie so chucked it on there for a couple of weeks to get used to it before swapping it back for the race. Bum wasn't sore one bit after 6hrs on my HT. Found I liked it much better than my roadie's speccy toupe, so swapped it straight back to the roadie after the mtb race leaving the mtb with its old seat again.

So then had to buy yet another for my mtb, after my roadie stole it. :)

So the Super flow is definitely one to consider. Gets a lot of good reviews too

edit: Whoops confused the slr flow (which is what I've got) with the SLR superflow which has the larger cutout.
Last edited by Ahad on Fri 22/Nov/13 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahad
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Fri 22/Nov/13 6:20am

Thanks to all for the quality feedback!

It's clear that it's a personal thing, and for an endurance rider seems almost a right of back passage to have a box full of saddles after failed experiments :rolleyes:

What scares me though is just when I think I'm done deciding all this talk of finding the right chamois comes up :hmmm:
Don't know where to start with that one.

I've managed to track down a couple of second hand but 'as new' Romins (evo and non evo), and an old Selle SMP (thanks to an ex-vorber), so the plan is to get all three and do some testing. Since I've got 4 bikes they won't go to waste and it still comes in on budget :)

Btw closer inspection of my f'isi:ck revealed it is completely cracked across the middle, don't know why this has happened as it hasn't had a lot of use :(
DSC_0024.JPG
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby mfw on Fri 22/Nov/13 6:41am

cyclenutnz wrote:Would be happy to send saddles to you (at your cost) to test. Have SMP (can't recall model right now), Adamo, Seta, Mantra. Antares, SHC are out atm.

And a big thanks to cyclenutz for this offer, this could have been a lifesaver. :thumbsup:
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby Slim on Fri 22/Nov/13 7:19am

mfw wrote:What scares me though is just when I think I'm done deciding all this talk of finding the right chamois comes up :hmmm:
Don't know where to start with that one.

I've ridden a few versions in the last couple of years and I keep coming back to the latest version GE bibs. The laminated chamois is pretty bloody good.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby RugbySucks on Fri 22/Nov/13 7:34am

First off. Get your sit-bone width measured, at the LBS. :D

I was shocked to learn that I would be more comfortable on a 150-155mm width saddle. :o

Since then, comfort has been found on a number of saddles. :love:

My regular rides are anything from 1 to 4 hours on both Road, and MTB. Couple of epics have lasted about 7 hours each.
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby danose on Fri 22/Nov/13 8:48am

mfw wrote:Btw closer inspection of my f'isi:ck revealed it is completely cracked across the middle, don't know why this has happened as it hasn't had a lot of use :(

too many pies! :satan:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Danny B on Fri 22/Nov/13 12:00pm

mfw wrote:What scares me though is just when I think I'm done deciding all this talk of finding the right chamois comes up :hmmm:Don't know where to start with that one.

I have a set of Louis Garneau 'Neo-Power' bibs and they are excellent. By comparision I have some cheaper DHB and Pearl Izumi ones which are okay but by no means great. Had some Sugoi ones which felt nice for the first couple of months but quickly became stiff and scratchy. I wouldn't get them again.

To the best of my knowledge, with bibs and shorts its really a matter of you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap pair and chances are that the chamois won't be as nice as their top-end ones. Prendas UK is a a good place to get some decent knicks without paying the earth. I would recommend looking there.

mfw wrote:Btw closer inspection of my f'isi:ck revealed it is completely cracked across the middle, don't know why this has happened as it hasn't had a lot of use :(

Is that a Gobi? If so they're notorious for cracking like that.
Danny B
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Fri 22/Nov/13 1:15pm

Again, I think chamois are also a personal thing!

I'm pretty much exclusively a wearer of the Pearl Izumi Elite range. I've tried a number of different brands since my smushage and those are the ones that consistently work for me.
I still very occasionally will get a rub but it doesn't happen often enough for me to start throwing money around trying to find something better.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Fri 22/Nov/13 1:32pm

I will have to dig out my old (but not used much) bib shorts and give them a try, haven't used them since I gave up roadying, they had notably thinner chamois than my shorts, but it sounds likeit's not quantity but quality eh?

scatter wrote:Again, I think chamois are also a personal thing!

The next thing you're going to tell me is that chamois cream / but butter is a personal thing too :lol: :paranoid:
Which reminds me I need to look up making my own, is there anything in the vorb recipe thread?
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby danose on Fri 22/Nov/13 1:34pm

mfw wrote:
Which reminds me I need to look up making my own, is there anything in the vorb recipe thread?

just go down the butchers and buy a block of lard, them apply liberally. Use duck fat if you're feeling particularly euro

then just pray you don't run into any stray dogs
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling - Latest Posts