Re: Runners... Where Did You Run Today?

Postby Tugboat on Sun 1/May/16 12:31pm

The first half of the 22km was tough. No big hills just short steep wall, after short steep wall (kinda Tour of Flanders type bergs!) and they all added up in the legs. You guys had done a lot more climbing to that point as well!!

My Garmin threw a wobbly with the elevation. Recorded 1,900m+ but think it was more like 750m odd with the bulk of that in the first 10km.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sun 1/May/16 7:14pm

The 33 was much the same, climb after climb. The natural tunnel was cool though.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 4/May/16 9:07pm

4 days have elapsed and my quads still feel like bits of wood....
slidecontrol

Postby Tugboat on Wed 4/May/16 11:07pm

Haha. You probably pushed a lot harder than me. I was back training on Mt Kaukau on Monday.

I signed up for the Mt Isobel Challenge yesterday - 8.5km run with a 1,000m elevation gain and then a casual 22km mountain bike back to the finish. Sounds like my kind of fun! :thumbsup:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby Tugboat on Sat 28/May/16 8:59pm

Did the Mt Isobel Challenge today.

The run was shortened by 2km, only going up to the saddle below the summit rather than the summit itself due to snow and icy conditions.This meant 7.2km from the start. Sound easy? Well it still had 846m of vertical ascent inside the first 5.3km!!

The run was mostly in perfect cool clear conditions thanks to a clear weather window as the wind changed ahead of the southerly that was to come. By the time I hit the high point of the run, it was sleeting very slightly with patches of snow on the ground. Very slippery down to the bike transition but I was happy to make it down in one piece in about 1hr 35m.

Once the run was finished, then it was onto the MTB for the 24km ride back to the start, via the Clarence River valley behind Mt Isobel. That can go here though post2641905.html#p2641905

https://www.strava.com/activities/590261562

Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 28/May/16 9:25pm

Nice work. I haven't run since the waitomo affair.
slidecontrol

Running | Sifting | Track Running - Latest Posts