Postby Malcy on Sun 21/Jul/13 8:37am

slidecontrol wrote:http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

Wow, I lolled, I reflected, I ...

Yeah, that was pretty rad.
Malcy
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Runners... Where Did You Run Today?

Postby happybaboon on Sun 21/Jul/13 9:16am

"They say you should treat your body like a temple. I treat mine like a fast moving dumpster"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 8 months

Postby CrashTestDummy on Mon 22/Jul/13 9:48pm

Malcy wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm 93Kg, realised/found out 6 weeks before that was going to get in, so 6 weeks training, sick for about 10 days and did under 9 hours.

So you should have no problem!! :thumbsup:

Problem is, apart from the weight, got no such excuse this year. :blush:

I was there, but now a little less, about 88. Glad to read that fella. Don't suppose you're in Wellington?

I am looking forward to the event, but in a sick twist, am mostly looking forward to the training and such. :-)

No in Dunners. Best thing I did was got a programme done. I just had to follow it.....
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 23/Jul/13 10:48pm

CrashTestDummy wrote:
Malcy wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm 93Kg, realised/found out 6 weeks before that was going to get in, so 6 weeks training, sick for about 10 days and did under 9 hours.

So you should have no problem!! :thumbsup:

Problem is, apart from the weight, got no such excuse this year. :blush:

I was there, but now a little less, about 88. Glad to read that fella. Don't suppose you're in Wellington?

I am looking forward to the event, but in a sick twist, am mostly looking forward to the training and such. :-)

No in Dunners. Best thing I did was got a programme done. I just had to follow it.....

Well, it had to happen. Ditched it HARD on my bike today. X-rays done, so no breaks (shoulder/elbow) but damn there's a bit of damage done. Still, what's 2-3 weeks rest huh? :huh:
Malcy

Postby Malcy on Tue 30/Jul/13 9:39pm

4km waterfront run today.

AND fingers did the running on the keys to book flights and accom for Kepler.

Shit just got real, and frikkin scary! :o
Malcy

Postby Tugboat on Tue 30/Jul/13 10:16pm

Nice.

I just plugged the roads of J'Ville and Khandallah today for a 7km lunch time run. Have the Taupo half-marathon coming up on Sunday which will be my third half in about 6 weeks! :crazy:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 31/Jul/13 4:18pm

Good stuff fella.

I have physio today, ends up a buggered bursas in left shoulder, and a little nerve twinge in neck from last weeks crash.

BUT yesterday's run didn't niggle at it so that is good.

Tomorrow will hit Mt Vic for some off road miles
Malcy

Postby CrashTestDummy on Wed 31/Jul/13 8:04pm

Good work Malcy. 4 months and 1 week to go and I'm in the gym and doing technique exercises that make me look like I'm a trainee Olympic spinter :eh:
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby happybaboon on Wed 31/Jul/13 8:47pm

Without making too greater reference to you other gentlemen's occasional piecart patronage........

How'd you manage to get running again? It's ALWAYS hell on my joints - even when I am "light" (90-95kg)

My muscles, heart and lungs can happily run for hours... But I start with smaller efforts, then work my way up... I got to the point where I could jog at a good clip for 90 mins, but after a few weeks my hips and ankles were fucked and I had to stop :( Good shoes and all.
happybaboon

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 31/Jul/13 9:13pm

technique matters, joint pain is often [ but not always ] related to overstriding. don' t ditch the shoes but try the barefoot style of running.

shorter steps and a midfoot landing helps reduce the jarring.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Tugboat on Wed 31/Jul/13 9:49pm

As someone who singlehandedly propped up the piecart industry of New Zealand for the last few years, I was quite worried about overdoing it to start with, but haven't really had any issues (touch wood). Considering at the start of February I was the wrong side of 130kg I initially walked everyday (3 - 5km at a time), up to twice a day. Then, after about 6 weeks, walking just wasn't cutting the mustard and I got the urge to run. From there I started running 2 - 3 times a week being careful to alternate running days with walking and the odd mountain bike ride thrown in.

I did set some lofty goals - the Wellington Xterra series, the Wellington half marathon, the Taupo 63.3 series (3 half marathons in July, August and September) and then the Goat up on Ruapehu in December. I find that having an event to focus on keeps me a lot more motivated to head out in shitty weather mid-week.

It's only in the last couple of months that I've been able to run on back to back days, and even then I'm still only running 2 - 4 times a week. Typically around 7km at lunch times and maybe up to 12 or 13km if I go for a weekend run (most likely a trail run at the weekends). My technique is undoubtedly shit and I only really have one pace... but i'm not really looking to get any quicker. The aim is just to lose weight (and I've dropped over 25kg in 5 months) and enjoy the events that i've been entering. The speed improvements I've seen are definitely due to the drop in weight and an overall increase in fitness. I'm doing a lot more road riding to still get an aerobic workout but also to rest the running muscles and joints for a day or two in between runs.

Seems to be working ok for me at the moment.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 31/Jul/13 10:47pm

happybaboon wrote:Without making too greater reference to you other gentlemen's occasional piecart patronage........

I hear you buddy, I hear you.

Like Tugboat I started with lofty goals. Rotorua Half IM (the first time I did that I couldn't swim at time of entry), then two years ago I entered Kepler, not having run a half marathon, let alone a full one. So 60km? Sheesh....

And I also did the Xterra series, something fun that used trails I know to get me running around. It was good fun.

I think that the baby steps thing is the best way to begin. I am doing 5- 10km at a go currently, but it was only a few weeks back, restarting the running, that 2-3 km left me limping the next day. Ha! A certain part of me thinks that there must be a similarity to smoking. It's awful on that first drag, but after a while, it just becomes a habit? Then you need it? (ok, shit comparison, but it's late, i'm updating all my servers and I am zonked)

One other thing that helps me is that I am a hoarder by nature. The more kms I do in a week the better. And I kinda compete with myself week in and week out.

And I train with an ever increasing circles method too. As in, this weekend I'll aim for a 12 km run. Following 10km, next, 14km, then 12, then... with increasing increases. It seemed to work for me last time I trained for this beastie.

An above all else, all this exercise justifies the pies! :thumbsup:

What a lot of babbly tosh that was, but there you go. :D
Malcy

Postby happybaboon on Wed 31/Jul/13 11:32pm

Ah, I understand. If I start smoking I will become a good runner. Thanks Malcy :thumbsup:
happybaboon

Postby Malcy on Thu 1/Aug/13 10:30am

happybaboon wrote:Ah, I understand. If I start smoking I will become a good runner. Thanks Malcy :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's about it.

Christ I must've been tired last night.

Take small runs, then build. Easy. And yup, you'll be sore, but if you ease into it, it's easy as pie.

Pie. nom nom nom
Malcy

Postby Malcy on Thu 1/Aug/13 10:31am

Should add, not a smoker at all. :-)

Ewww, smoke.
Malcy

Running | Sifting | Track Running - Latest Posts