Re: Runners... Where Did You Run Today?

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:37pm

Malcy wrote:A meander around Mt Victoria at lunchtime. Damn that was one big slippery salmon.

And trialling a friends Garmin 910xt out. Wow, it's like a wearable computer, and the stuff that one can do! Next up, try out a 310xt and work out which one is for me.

if you're only running/biking go for the 310. the 910xts extra benefit is for swimming ( stroke counts, lap counts etc )

unrelated edit: badwater is on right now, 217km of madness :o
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:59pm

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm in as well. First time last year and was a great day out. My aim is an hour off my time. :paranoid:

Needless to say I didn't run it in 5 hours last year! :blush:

Jeebus!! That's the goal this year? If so you can get the bbq ready for me at the end! lol
Malcy
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 16/Jul/13 10:01pm

Anything past 100 is plain insanitary!! :-)

And yup slide, that's where I'm leaning at the mo. I think the 910 is great, and I got to wear one today as mentioned, but the swimming stuff is way beyond my needs.

Thanks for the review posts too there Tugboat!
Malcy

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 17/Jul/13 8:16am

If buying new get the 910XT as 310XT is being phased out
UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby danose on Wed 17/Jul/13 11:31am

UK_Exile wrote:If buying new get the 910XT as 310XT is being phased out

mate from the UK had his 310xt with him when he came out over summer - ridiculousy big on the wrist, so even if they hadn't phased it out worth going for the 910xt for the reduced bulk
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 17/Jul/13 12:38pm

In time there will be firmware upgrades so that the 910XT can properly detect arm movement for other sports too. Kind of currently works for kayak cadence. Have read they're working on cross country skiing & stand up paddling
UK_Exile

Postby danose on Wed 17/Jul/13 1:06pm

UK_Exile wrote:In time there will be firmware upgrades so that the 910XT can properly detect arm movement for other sports too. Kind of currently works for kayak cadence. Have read they're working on cross country skiing & stand up paddling

how about rock climbing - the accelerometer could be ideal for giving exactness to those 'that whipper was 10m easy' stories :satan:
danose

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 17/Jul/13 1:40pm

Doubtful ! Probably will end up being a good recogniser / counter but not much more
UK_Exile

Postby danose on Wed 17/Jul/13 2:36pm

UK_Exile wrote:Doubtful ! Probably will end up being a good recogniser / counter but not much more

they're using an acclerometer same in any smartphone/tablet - should be able to do a LOT more with suitable programming.
danose

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 17/Jul/13 3:30pm

danose wrote:
UK_Exile wrote:Doubtful ! Probably will end up being a good recogniser / counter but not much more

they're using an acclerometer same in any smartphone/tablet - should be able to do a LOT more with suitable programming.

Yeah but would they bother ? Could get all clever & overlay the accelerometer data onto the GPS data for all sorts of sports (as they do already do for swim mode) but likely the R&D effort wouldn't be recovered in extra sales. Would take heaps of R&D to get it right so that it's damped just right, not smoothed too much, etc. That'll be why rumours are it's first being done for SUP & XC ski as both big markets.
UK_Exile

Postby CrashTestDummy on Wed 17/Jul/13 8:02pm

Malcy wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm in as well. First time last year and was a great day out. My aim is an hour off my time. :paranoid:

Jeebus!! That's the goal this year? If so you can get the bbq ready for me at the end! lol

No, it meant last year wasn't that I wasn't that fast, so have plenty to improve on!! :rolleyes:

Last year the highlight was the pie & beer I had whilst sitting in the shower. :D
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 17/Jul/13 9:01pm

CrashTestDummy wrote:
Malcy wrote:

No, it meant last year wasn't that I wasn't that fast, so have plenty to improve on!! :rolleyes:

Last year the highlight was the pie & beer I had whilst sitting in the shower. :D

I will be aiming for somewhere between 8 and 9 if all goes well. I am not exactly built for the runzors.

Next run tomorrow. More hills. :-) Might give my students a 1.5 hour lunch break so that I can get a decent loop in.
Malcy

Postby CrashTestDummy on Thu 18/Jul/13 9:14pm

I'm 93Kg, realised/found out 6 weeks before that was going to get in, so 6 weeks training, sick for about 10 days and did under 9 hours.

So you should have no problem!! :thumbsup:

Problem is, apart from the weight, got no such excuse this year. :blush:
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Fri 19/Jul/13 11:52am

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm 93Kg, realised/found out 6 weeks before that was going to get in, so 6 weeks training, sick for about 10 days and did under 9 hours.

So you should have no problem!! :thumbsup:

Problem is, apart from the weight, got no such excuse this year. :blush:

I was there, but now a little less, about 88. Glad to read that fella. Don't suppose you're in Wellington?

I am looking forward to the event, but in a sick twist, am mostly looking forward to the training and such. :-)
Malcy

slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Running | Sifting | Track Running - Latest Posts