Re: Runners... Where Did You Run Today?

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 10/Jun/13 12:46pm

Was just looking at speedcross 3 on wiggle. Can see they'd be ok on grass, dirt & mud with their quite large blocks but how's the grip crossing streams, on wet rocks & on rocks with sand on them ? I'm thinking Goat Pass type trails.
In my expereince the original XA pro's with larger L shaped blocks were shockers on wet or sand covered rocks & wet grass but ok on mud & dirt. The XA pro 2's with many small squares are much much better all round. I had 2 & like them then brought some originals as were $20 cheaper. Big mistake !
UK_Exile
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby danose on Mon 10/Jun/13 1:45pm

UK_Exile wrote:Was just looking at speedcross 3 on wiggle. Can see they'd be ok on grass, dirt & mud with their quite large blocks but how's the grip crossing streams, on wet rocks & on rocks with sand on them ? I'm thinking Goat Pass type trails.

In my expereince the original XA pro's with larger L shaped blocks were shockers on wet or sand covered rocks & wet grass but ok on mud & dirt. The XA pro 2's with many small squares are much much better all round. I had 2 & like them then brought some originals as were $20 cheaper. Big mistake !

the speedcross3 is still not great on wet rocks - the tread blocks don't have a huge contact area (due to being arrow shaped) plus the rubber is of the 'non sticky' variety - so really don't hang on that well (can attest to that from first hand experience)

the x-talon has it beat, the bigger square tread blocks means a bigger contact patch on rock, plus it has climbing shoe derived sticky rubber. Still not 'shit to a blanket' style sticky but as good as you're likely to get without someone bringing out a shoe with maxxis supertacky swampthings for soles :D

speedcross3 sole : http://ultra.irunfar.com/wp-content/upl ... utsole.jpg

inov8 sole : http://gearjunkie.com/images/5438.jpg

even better would be the mudclaw, which is less open (not so good in pure goop) but more contact on rock (and a tread that looks like a conti gravity/mountain king!)

http://www.runandbecome.com/getattachme ... 0-sole.jpg

ironically, if you're ONLY running on rock/wet rock, you don't really want an open sole with big lugs at all - a more closed pattern would give more edges and a much bigger contact patch (so something more like the sole on a 5.10 approach shoe - http://fiveten.com/images/stories/jrevi ... 296055.jpg ) - but of course if you hit any mud you'll be on your arse!
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 10/Jun/13 1:58pm

That inov8 sole is quite similar to the XA Pro Ultra 2 pattern. The small square blocks seem to be a good compromise
UK_Exile

Postby Tugboat on Mon 10/Jun/13 11:02pm

I've got both the XA Ultra Pro 2s and the Speedcross 3 and I'd definitely pick the XAs for rockier courses. Despite being quite a bit heavier they are my go to shoe for most courses for that matter. But in the conditions yesterday the Speedcrosses came into their own.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 11/Jun/13 7:29am

Tugboat wrote:I've got both the XA Ultra Pro 2s and the Speedcross 3 and I'd definitely pick the XAs for rockier courses. Despite being quite a bit heavier they are my go to shoe for most courses for that matter. But in the conditions yesterday the Speedcrosses came into their own.

Thanks. I'm tempted to get some Sense however they certainly aren't long lifers. Maybe some Sense Ultras better bet
UK_Exile

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 11/Jun/13 9:06am

I'm planning to run the tarawera ultra next year, sc3 will be my weapon of choice for 100km of trail, unless something lighter comes along with similar levels of grip and cushioning.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby danose on Tue 11/Jun/13 11:21am

slidecontrol wrote:I'm planning to run the tarawera ultra next year, sc3 will be my weapon of choice for 100km of trail, unless something lighter comes along with similar levels of grip and cushioning.

inov8 baregrip 200 - stupid light, massive amounts of grip - cushioning, well you didn't really want ALL 3 boxes ticked did you? :D

seriously I really couldn't think of anything better than the sc3 for a 100km - easily as comfy/cushioned as the asic trail sensor but with decent grip (don't get why asics don't do at least one model with a proper off-road sole - a fuji ds racer with agressive sole would be an awesome race shoe!)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Sun 7/Jul/13 9:50pm

After suffering through the Wellington half-marathon two weeks ago with the lingering effects of a nasty head cold, I wasn't too sure about how the second half marathon (and first off-road half) of my stint of doing 4 halves before heading overseas on holiday in September would go. The only way to find out was to road trip it up to Taupo for the Tauhara Trail run this morning.

In typical Taupo fashion it was a pretty chilly start to the day but once moving it was pretty sweet. Bit of misty rain to keep it cool and the forest gave plenty of shelter from the brisk westerly. Apparently last year the forestry roads were icy in places, but there was worry of ice at all this year!!

The course was a primo mix of nice forestry roads like this and sweet bits of single and double track in between. About half and half of each.
tauhara trail run-2 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr

Dodgy selfie on the final 2km climb, about 18km in. Well and truly in the hurtbox at this point.
tauhara trail run-6 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr

First glimpse of the finish with 1.5km to go. All downhill from here though!
tauhara trail run-5 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr

Finishers prize. Went down a treat.
tauhara trail run-7 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr

The detail. 21.6km and 771m of vertical climbing.
Tauhara Trail Run-8 by Adrian Rumney, on Flickr
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby Malcy on Sun 7/Jul/13 10:39pm

Was up at 6:30am yesterday, on http://www.keplerchallenge.co.nz Entry completed.

THIS time I won't knock myself out 6 days before the event and thus ruin all the good training.

6 weeks out, bike ban. :-D

So here's to a solid 5 months or so of trail riding running!! :D or :sly: or :( or just about every other bloody emotion that goes with mega training.
Malcy
Member for: 16 years 10 months

Postby Tugboat on Mon 8/Jul/13 9:47am

Nice. The Kepler looks like a pretty tough day out!! :thumbsup:
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 8/Jul/13 12:37pm

Nice report Tugboat. Nice course profile.

Yesterday I had a crack at Mud Sweat & Tears at Motukarara. Good fun but not really enough mud to provide any real challenge. Was more like a fast grassy foot race type event. Expected far more mud & obstacles, at least some long waist deep ditches. Sadly the most was knee deep dirty water. There was a sticky smelly crawls but short and not deep. The rotary irrigator & fire pit were nice touches. Still I guess they have to set it for the least capable entrants and I certainly come up on some of those rapidly during my second lap. So overall a fun event, not really setup for those wanting a race or physical challenge.
UK_Exile

Postby Malcy on Mon 8/Jul/13 4:49pm

Tugboat wrote:Nice. The Kepler looks like a pretty tough day out!! :thumbsup:

I think once you get past the up bit, then that down bit, then that up bit again, and the next down bit, then the long flat bit, it should be fine :p

I think me and Kaukau are going to become good friends again..... such a nice run though. Koru, Sally, Missing, Aratihi, 4wd out to Varleys, across to Skyline, to Kaukau, and back. Down Northface. Seems a shame to waste such trails on a bike..... :crazy:

:-)

And I do those trails out of familiarity more than anything...
Malcy

Postby Malcy on Tue 16/Jul/13 8:39pm

A meander around Mt Victoria at lunchtime. Damn that was one big slippery salmon.

And trialling a friends Garmin 910xt out. Wow, it's like a wearable computer, and the stuff that one can do! Next up, try out a 310xt and work out which one is for me.
Malcy

Postby Tugboat on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:00pm

^ 910XT is great, I can't imagine running without mine. If you aren't familiar with DC Rainmaker's review you should take a look see...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garm ... eview.html

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/09/garm ... eview.html
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"

Postby CrashTestDummy on Tue 16/Jul/13 9:04pm

Malcy wrote:Was up at 6:30am yesterday, on http://www.keplerchallenge.co.nz Entry completed.

THIS time I won't knock myself out 6 days before the event and thus ruin all the good training.

6 weeks out, bike ban. :-D

So here's to a solid 5 months or so of trail riding running!! :D or :sly: or :( or just about every other bloody emotion that goes with mega training.

I'm in as well. First time last year and was a great day out. My aim is an hour off my time. :paranoid:

Needless to say I didn't run it in 5 hours last year! :blush:
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Running | Sifting | Track Running - Latest Posts