Rotorua Today Was Cool!

Postby GOOSE on Sun 11/Jan/04 10:15pm

I went to that keewee demo day today (i didnt go near thier P.O.S bikes tho). it was hell hot weather, the only gripe of the day being the transport road was the dustiest i hav ever been on, there was about half a centimeter of dust lining the floor of one of the trucks, and by the time we got to the top of the hill, some people who were standing in the wrong places emerged a heavy tinge of grey.....
anyway, the track was quite good apart from the top section as usual, having just steps the whole way down to the rock garden basically. the rock garden is slightly deteriorated , making it a bit easier to ride (or jump in my case), . now next comes the exciting bit. just after the rock garden is a new straight piece of track including a quite big step down. its about 3m drop and 8m gap. i cased it slightly on my first attempt (it was inevitable (.sp) as when i got down there everyone was standing around , so i hadnt seen anyone else do it) anyway i guessed a speed to hit it at, and came up a bit short, but my nice GIANT handled it. so i pushed back up and hit it up again. coming down just right. now i have that drop sussed as , im doing it without hestitating now and condfidently :cool: . lots of fast guys were doing lots of dummy runs up to it before they tryed it (.ie gary porter i noticed for one), also claudio calouri (swiss sensation) stopped before it and went back for another go at it . by the way when he did it he looked awesome over the drop, like a fuckeing cat or somthing ........ after that there is a couple of ski jumps and its mostly straight all the way down to the gravel road. this new bit of track i prefer from the old one, its a lot faster and harder to ride from my point of view. the rest of the track is basically straight as well, untill you come up to the last left hander before the double at the bottom which now has a mint ski jump thing that sorta throws you at the berm, and out the other side. the double at the bottom is cool too, i no footered it ramp to ramp (the whole distance to the proper downramp)

my story over ;)

PS. for 15 bucks it wasnt too bad, that worked out $3 a run for me!
PSS also my mate morgan did the step down on his hard tail (the only person i saw do it on a HT , and i saw quite a few intense, santa cruz v10 etc going the nana line) big cheers to him man i was stocked for him he did it twice even .
GOOSE
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby F.T.P on Sun 11/Jan/04 10:29pm

sounds mint as, should be awsome race going down there :thumbsup: tpt rep
F.T.P
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby GOOSE on Sun 11/Jan/04 10:43pm

yea, that track is also really dusty i places, and its getting torn up quickly to so hopefully it will hold up for the nationals aye. it should do
GOOSE

Postby GOOSE on Sun 11/Jan/04 10:46pm

my 1400th post! i wil celebrate
west.jpg
GOOSE

Postby Tim on Mon 12/Jan/04 7:33am

wow, 3m down by 8m, thats quite large aye! :0

Just a case of going for it was it???

hrmmm, i look forward to seing some picytures of the tracks new features :thumbsup:

meh, ive always wanted to do that roto double, but never had the chance
Tim
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Ulysses on Mon 12/Jan/04 8:15am

Yeah sounds like it would ave been a lota fun a. I was gona cruse over but couldnt get a ride. :hmmm: But i dont think i would have had the balls to do that drop. especially not on my hard tail. where the keewee boys letting you take their bikes down the track?
Ulysses
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby GOOSE on Mon 12/Jan/04 9:16am

Ulysses wrote:Yeah sounds like it would ave been a lota fun a. I was gona cruse over but couldnt get a ride. :hmmm: But i dont think i would have had the balls to do that drop. especially not on my hard tail. where the keewee boys letting you take their bikes down the track?
GOOSE

Postby wachtourak on Mon 12/Jan/04 9:28am

Fuck that track was so much harder than anything I've ridden before. I fuckin munted myself off this tiny little drop like 3 foot...I dunno what happened I think I went off it too slow, and I think I front wheel landed badly, but I went off it and the next thing I knew I was on the ground...I think i must have hit my head on the tree or smething cos I had a mean headache when I got to the bottom. Goose probably saw me trying to get my handlebars back pointing the way they should. That step-down was fuckin large...I never actually saw anyone do it, just a bunch of hardouts standing round it each time. Oh yeah, you know the nana line for the stepdown how it goes off those two little 1 foot steps one after the other, is it easier to just jump both of those? On my first run I also crashed further down, where you hit that little drop and it opens up a bit, hit the drop sweet, and it opens up so I thought 'Oooooh...fast!' and hit the gas, but that bottom corner with the ruts I went into way too quick and sorta ragdolled onto the ground, and the inside of one of my kneepads gave me friction burn or something. But the track is really mint, even though I found it hard it was nice and flowy the whole way down, It only got hard If I tried to pick up the pace. But yeah it was a mint day, even if I do have a bloody sore shoulder and knee now.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby badash on Mon 12/Jan/04 10:04am

damn is wish i went,but the family must come first and with my wife and daughter both sick i had to look after them :(
badash
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Mel on Mon 12/Jan/04 12:53pm

Yep, it was all gooode. :thumbsup: I'm with you Wachy, that's the hardest thing I've ridden so far (I've tried some harder stuff, but was unsuccessful!). I'm nursing a sore shoulder & neck today and have a nice graze behind my knee (over-the-bars rolly-polly into a dead tree on my first run - ow! :cry: ).

Thanks to the Keewee boys for making it happen. Can't wait for the next one......

:D
Mel
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby GOOSE on Mon 12/Jan/04 3:20pm

hard luck to you fullas aye i didnt fall off at all :p

also, a get well to kris snow, who got wasted as and had to be taken to A&E. suspected collarbone carnage i think :0

also another niggle on my bike was on the step down my shortcage XT deralier was forcing itself inside out , like the pin to stop it moving so far actaully went past its bump stop, once on my second time down, and twice on my 3rd time down. i wound up a lot more tension on the main screw/spring, and gave myself another rotation of preload on the rear shock as well, and it stopped happening altogether. :)

i cant wait to ride the stepdown some more aye, i might go up there again before the nationals sometime :cool:
GOOSE

Postby K-Bizzle on Mon 12/Jan/04 3:39pm

ooo goodie, one week and counting untill i go to rotorua.

goose you probably need a longer chain or either in a higher gear so theres more slack in the chain
K-Bizzle
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby JohnnyC on Mon 12/Jan/04 3:41pm

GOOSE wrote:hard luck to you fullas aye i didnt fall off at all :p

you're not trying hard enough!!!
JohnnyC
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby keewee on Mon 12/Jan/04 6:52pm

man that track is sick did a bit of bush bashing and managed to find me a new line :p
keewee
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Kyle on Tue 13/Jan/04 10:15pm

wachtourak wrote: even if I do have a bloody sore shoulder and knee now.

No Big day out Mosh pit for you young man :p
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Sifting - Latest Posts