Rotorua Airport Bike Assembly Point

Postby yak71 on Thu 26/Jul/12 9:59am

The new(ish) Rotorua Airport Bike Assembly Point - Anyone used it?
Wife and I are flying up to Rotorua in a couple of weeks for a long weekend of mtbing and croucher beer. :love:
Normally I pack my bikes partially disassembled into bike bags, put them on the plane as checked in luggage and get a shuttle to accomodation then reassemble bikes there. But I was wondering whether to use the assembly facilities at the airport, store the bike bags there(costs??), and then ride to our accomodation.
Or, I have seen people do this, just check the bikes on the plane as is(fully assembled) - how risky is this? Actually, for some stupid reason we have to go via Auckland so if we have to change planes this might be even more crazy than it would normally be??
Thoughts or reccomendations?

cheers
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Rotorua Airport Bike Assembly Point

Postby Tinkerbell on Thu 26/Jul/12 10:09am

Hubby and I flew up to vegas in March and took our bikes in GE bags. The bike assembly points were awesome, but the ride into vegas with our luggage in the rain was pretty tough. We ended up getting a taxi back. If you're travelling light yes do it, otherwise, remember it's hard work riding with 10kg+ on your back.
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby cruiser on Thu 26/Jul/12 10:14am

Storage of box or bag is free.
cruiser
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby yak71 on Thu 26/Jul/12 12:35pm

Good point. I hadn't thought about the weather, or all the shoes my wife will want to pack ;)
yak71
"yeah definitely"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby tylersdad on Fri 27/Jul/12 7:09pm

I had a look on their website. What a useless site. No info on there at all that i could find.
You would think as a MTB destination there would be a section dedicated to this.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Bay of Plenty | Cycling | Middle North Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Rotorua - Latest Posts