Rookie Chain Question

Postby HM12 on Mon 3/Oct/16 12:58pm

Hi there, i want to replace just my chain (2 x 10) before I need to do cassette as well. I have a replacement chain but no joiner pin. Keen to do this myself, here's the question: Can I just use my chain breaker to shorten new chain to correct length (same number of links as chain being replaced), purchase a quick link from LBS and chuck it on or is the quick link just supposed to be a temp fix? That seems the easiest way or alternatively do I get hold of a joiner pin instead? Cheers
HM12
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Re: Rookie Chain Question

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 3/Oct/16 1:24pm

You'll be right.
I've used quick links on my bikes for years with no issues.
Hate those joining pins.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Mon 3/Oct/16 1:33pm

installing a quick link on your chain is a common practice to aid cleaning. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the quick link is compatible with the chain: for 10 speed KMC make a version for Shimano/SRAM, and another for Campagnolo. '

SRAM chains came with a speedlink that was only supposed to be used once, not disconnected and reconnected regularly.

you should be able to buy spare pins for shimano.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 3/Oct/16 6:01pm

I've always had good luck with kmc and sram 10sp quick links (on my shimano chain). Even if the sram ones aren't supposed to be re-used and are virtually impossible to open without a tool, I've got one that's been opened and reinstalled maybe 3-4 times and it doesn't seem to have suffered.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 3/Oct/16 7:18pm

KMC make reusable links to fit shimano chains.
Get thee to the LBS.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby HM12 on Tue 4/Oct/16 1:47pm

Cool, thanks for that.
Cheers
HM12
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Wed 5/Oct/16 9:53am

Klarkash-ton wrote:installing a quick link on your chain is a common practice to aid cleaning.

How many times could one expect to do this before the link compromises it's ability to "link"? because I clean my chain in situ with one of those chain cleaning dohickies, and wonder if removing the chain is the better way to go.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 5/Oct/16 5:19pm

I've only taken mine apart 3 or 4 times, but it seems fine. I put a gold link on to give me an easy reference when oiling the chain.

I did take a SRAM one apart and get it back together, but the bike met a car soon afterwards so can't report on whether it reduced the life of the chain.

Also apparently there are counterfeit KMC branded links out there :rolleyes:
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby huffnpuff on Wed 5/Oct/16 7:29pm

My chain comes off once a week for a good clean up and lube. Saves a lot of mess on the cassette.

I use a new link on a new chain, but then keep using that link for the life of the chain, which for me is about 6 months, so about 25 remove/replace cycles.

Have never had a problem with any I've used no matter the brand. Having said that,at my age I'm a spinner rather than grinder so I'm not that hard on them, but i do do a lot of climbing. YMMV
huffnpuff
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 6/Oct/16 3:59pm

I've run chains with multiple quicklinks in them for years with no problems...

hth,

hurr hurr
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Bicycle Repair | Chains | Cycling | Drivetrain - Latest Posts