Roof Carrier, Any One Had A Crack At Building Some?

Postby Ohskidths on Fri 22/Apr/11 5:45pm

At present I carry my bikes in the back of my car, I have a wagon so it isn't a great deal of hassle to do but I am getting sick of cleaning the rubbish out of the back of my car. I also have a tow ball rack which is a pain as I can't get in the back when it's on. When I brought the car it came with roof racks which I should take advantage of and use but don't have the bike carrier to go with them. I have looked at some online a don't really like the look of any. I was looking at the remove you front wheel type rack and couldn't find one that allows you to mount qr, 20mm or 15mm axles, this got me thinking I could build one. Has anyone done it before? I have a rough idea of how I would like to do it but was hoping to learn from other attempts/mistakes before trying for myself.
Ohskidths
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Roof Carrier, Any One Had A Crack At Building Some?

Postby LycraLarry on Fri 22/Apr/11 5:52pm

I got a cheap ($49) gutter mount unit from Superchumps, then got a fork holder attachment ($22) from the bike shop and fitted it to the front rack unit . The rear unit has two pieces of light alloy box section fitted the width of the tyre with a simple strap from the hardware shop ($4) all attached with nylock nuts and bolts ($4) so all up $79.00 .

A flash branded one started at $230.00 or there about all the way up to $800.

A certain online cycling retailer also has a unit that they sell under the route 7 brand for about $140ish which fits onto existing roof rack systems.
LycraLarry
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby SirLightalot on Fri 22/Apr/11 8:19pm

I know a guy who repairs bikes from crashes, his biggest amount of work comes from people who have bike racks on the roof of the car, as is human nature we tend to forget, and in most cases the bikes, far from being safer on the roof, often get totalled when drivers forget the bikes up there, and drive into the garage, with the obvious consequences of a damage bike. Seems sensible, but last place I would now put a bike.....is on the roof. Just my two cents.....
SirLightalot
"Illuminating the darkness on the road ahead."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby velofille on Fri 22/Apr/11 10:52pm

Real cycling addicts use their garage for the bikes and the cars sit outside :)
velofille
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Crashed on Fri 22/Apr/11 11:34pm

Hi Girl didn't you know Sir lightalot is The Real Cycling Addict he keeps his bikes in a bed room so they dont get cold, so Ive been told ...all his car are outside and the Garage is full of MAN STUFF :) :)
Last edited by Crashed on Fri 22/Apr/11 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crashed
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Crashed on Fri 22/Apr/11 11:41pm

I have a roof rack on the wifes car yet to drive into my garage with bike on top. Never had any prblems with the bike up there ,but I do know of ONE person who did do it!
Crashed

Postby Ohskidths on Sat 23/Apr/11 7:51am

Yeah the garage isn't going to be a problem for me at the moment, my car stays outside most days and if it does go in the shed its not an automatic door so I have to get out to open the door before driving in. Ill have a look about and do some pricing next week, I have access to a workshop to do the fabrication it may just be a matter of getting some aluminium welding done. I let you know how I go and the cost.
Ohskidths
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby phunk on Sat 23/Apr/11 9:19am

Just get some 110mm wide tube and weld some tabs on for 20mm adapter like this: http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/prod/e310/hu47_.html
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby brian245 on Sat 23/Apr/11 9:57am

I use a Thule roof rack which takes the bike without removing wheels and the ease of mounting and dismounting is so quick and simple I wouldn't consider anythimg else.
Oh, and as I turn into the driveway I remind myself that the bike is up top :paranoid: worked so far
brian245
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby johnL on Sat 23/Apr/11 11:38am

phunk wrote:Just get some 110mm wide tube and weld some tabs on for 20mm adapter like this: http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/prod/e310/hu47_.html

sheeeet $135 for that!
johnL
"2x Trust House Tour of Wellington Winner, DS Team Cardno"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby velofille on Sat 23/Apr/11 12:10pm

Trademe - seriously, i paid $100 for my thule roofracks and $40 or less for the roof top bike carriers :D
velofille
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby SirLightalot on Sun 24/Apr/11 3:51pm

Crashed wrote:Hi Girl didn't you know Sir lightalot is The Real Cycling Addict he keeps his bikes in a bed room so they dont get cold, so Ive been told ...all his car are outside and the Garage is full of MAN STUFF :) :)

just a case of priorities? doesn't everyone keep the bikes warm at night in the bedroom??? :)
SirLightalot
"Illuminating the darkness on the road ahead."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby Crashed on Sun 24/Apr/11 5:22pm

My wife dosent ride so she cant understand why bkes should be kept in the house :(
Crashed

Postby LycraLarry on Tue 26/Apr/11 2:20pm

velofille wrote:Real cycling addicts use their garage for the bikes and the cars sit outside :)

my bikes live in the spare bedroom....I move the cars out only when we have guests....
LycraLarry
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby neels on Tue 26/Apr/11 5:06pm

I built a couple myself...
26042011082.jpg

Just a length of ali channel, some roof box u-bolts to hold it on, an old quick release axle and a strap for the back wheel. Haven't had them fall off yet, and my car lives outside so no danger of driving into the garage with the bike on.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Cars | Cycling | Motoring | Mountain Biking | Road Cycling | Sifting - Latest Posts