Re: Roadies - Where Did You Ride Today?

Postby istepinyards on Mon 26/Oct/09 1:06pm

Even if you only hear it once it is too often. :(

How does it happen on a straight stretch of country road on a bright sunny day. Quite possibly one of 5 cars he would have gone passed him on that road that day.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 26/Oct/09 3:13pm

:) I’m back of the Wagon…
I’ve had enough of not riding and eating too much over these past 10 days or so.
Rode Henderson Valley, Crows Road where I caught 3 guys I know so nice to ride and chat :) (very quiet road) then Amreins and returned the same way.

36kms.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby OliverBendix on Mon 26/Oct/09 7:18pm

Akatarawa / paekak road loop this morning. Mint weather - I was a bit worried that by not riding Saturday or Sunday with other things on I might have missed all the good weather but no problem there.

Then home to finish building my chookhouse after lunch. I had chooks as a kid and haven't been able to keep them in rental properties, so I've been 16 years chookless. Not for much longer, now we own our place!
Last edited by OliverBendix on Mon 26/Oct/09 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby tylersdad on Mon 26/Oct/09 7:48pm

taylormade wrote:75km ride this morning, into Churton Pk to meet Tylerdad then we made our way through Khandallah into town for a loop out to island bay and back to Mojo for coffee. Then the grind home in to the headwind, this time via Ngaio Gorge. Nice ride with great company. Thats 215km for the weekend :)

ditto, just not quite as far because Stephen lives further away.

i liked this ride, especially more so as Stephen reminded the policemen we passed of the golden rule......
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Mon 26/Oct/09 8:39pm

Wow, shaved 6min off my 36km pahiatua track ride. Appears the extra pie this morning was a good idea.
znomit
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Fergie on Tue 27/Oct/09 7:46pm

New Brighton - Sumner Training Ride timing failure at Sumner to have a nice tailwind home to wind down so I can walk tomorrow. Then the frigging wind changes. Lights out :hmmm:
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby ArjanH on Tue 27/Oct/09 8:04pm

Fergie wrote:New Brighton - Sumner Training Ride timing failure at Sumner to have a nice tailwind home to wind down so I can walk tomorrow. Then the frigging wind changes. Lights out :hmmm:

:D :D :D
ArjanH
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby cooper770 on Wed 28/Oct/09 1:28pm

Been 'off line' for while, so much catching up to do...

Thursday last week did the 120km Tour De Manawatu route took me 3hrs 15mins
Friday...the only day of the week when I have to work :(
Saturday work, but she that must be obeyed drove there and I rode there, so Feilding to Mangaweka over vinegar hill.
Sunday...went to Taupo to watch the motor racing
Monday did the Feilding to Te Horo loop
Tuesday...dam it was wet, and windy...did I mention it was WET??!!
Today, sunshine and little wind so did the Feilding/Halcombe/Marton/Bulls/Sanson/Rogotea/Feilding loop. 3 hrs 10 mins. Have a graze on my elbow from a truck who didn't think I needed a metre of space but only 2cm!
Pick up my ll fixed now lap top on the way home :)

Tommorow Im going to pedal up to Kimbolton and watch the targa and then head back to Manfield to watch the cars on the track
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Dunnersdan on Wed 28/Oct/09 1:46pm

I did the Graveyard Ride! :) Check it out on http://tinyurl.com/ygy9f7j
Dunnersdan
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 28/Oct/09 3:40pm

Dunnersdan wrote:I did the Graveyard Ride! :) Check it out on http://tinyurl.com/ygy9f7j

:) Good write up and photos Dan.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Flynnster on Wed 28/Oct/09 8:42pm

Nice spin round makara tonight and a quick :lol: climb up Horokiwi. the extra 4km from the top of the major climb to the end of the road was a bit of battle into the northerly. man it was blowing.

Almost had a spill heading down through Karori where I was coming down the outside of slow moving traffic and a woman flicked her indicator on at the same time she started to turn left into a drive. My knuckles got clipped by her wing mirror as I swerved to avoid her and ended up on the pavement. No damage done but I got a bit of a fright.

I've always wondered, from a legal point of view, who is in the wrong or are we both at fault? Me for overtaking on the inside and her for not giving enough warning of her intentions. Can anyone enlighten me? Cheers all.

More importantly, does anyone have any details about the poor person who was knocked off outside VTNZ in Thorndon this morning (the same place wear I got knocked off)? There was an ambo and cops there and the bile was totally munted with the forks, handle bars, and front wheel all separated from the frame :( The cops said it was only scrapes and bruises. the blood on the road suggested otherwise...
Last edited by Flynnster on Wed 28/Oct/09 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnster
"descending like my grandmother on a 70’s chopper"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Lynskey on Wed 28/Oct/09 8:49pm

Flynnster wrote:I've always wondered, from a legal point of view, who is in the wrong or are we both at fault? Me for overtaking on the inside and her for not giving enough warning of her intentions. Can anyone enlighten me? Cheers all.

You're in the wrong. I got done for this going down Happy Valley Rd. I was sitting behind a car at about 50 (on the left of the road obviously) and he suddenly slammed on his anchors and turned left into a street without indicating. I smashed into the bonnet and went flying off, woke up in the ambulance. The coppers talked to everyone but me before deciding I was to blame, the Van behind me said I had passed him on the left so I was ticketed for 'illegally passing on the left hand side'. They also assumed that I was trying to pass the guy in front so I was found at fault of the crash, no insurance for my written off bike. The fact that he didn't indicate had no bearing whatsoever because I (and you in this instance) 'should have been following far enough back so that I could safely stop if the guy in front turned without indicating'.
Lynskey
"Ah yes the tossers certainly come out late at night.."
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Dulouz on Wed 28/Oct/09 9:19pm

Must be in the wind today. I rode down SH2 today and turned right into Hill road at the lights. There was a break in traffic so I dashed across so I could get into the right turning lane but was gunning it as I was still a wee distance from the lights. Rode in centre of right turning lane and as lights were red felt confident that any right turning vehicle would drop in behind me. Some idiot in car rides next to me on my left crossing the land and pulls in front of me nearly knocking me off just so he can sit at the red light.

Dude was wearing a Walkman while driving?? and had a weed eater in the passenger seat. Got him to take his Walkman off so we could have a wee chat about the fact that he nearly hit me and asked him why he didn't drive behind me. Didn't get any sense from him but made it quite clear that I had his number (which BTW I actually forgot to take).
Dulouz

Postby cooper770 on Thu 29/Oct/09 4:01pm

Just been to Apiti and back, mainly to watch the Targa coming through....it was fine when I left but started to snow up there on them hills....and the targa was boring...basically all modern cars and not at all exciting to watch.
cooper770
"Enjoy the sandpit Kids, some of us have left Kindy."

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 30/Oct/09 9:33am

rode in this morning 70kms into the southerly, started late and the wind made it worse. after paekak hill I decided to head through porirua, jville, ngaio gorge. it was horrible! loads of traffic and couldn't stretch out even downhill. and no shorter than going haywards hill, sh2 as far as I could tell.

Still just after I got in the office it started pissing down, so I was happy just to have finished in time!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Cycling | Road Cycling - Latest Posts